The Sun now banning RL indefinitely

3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

The Sun as we all know is banned because of its reporting over  Hillsborough. That I understand, especially as I lost a close cousin & nephew.

Never-the-less I remember how at the time an awful lot of people were very ready to believe the initial reporting as to were blame should lie, not just the Sun. I certainly hope that all those "holier than thou" people I heard and continue to hear didn't at the time believe anything other than what they know now. I can still hear the bleating of many from the time.

For me time has moved on, people at the organisation are different people in the main, so for me I don't have a continued intense dislike for the organisation. I do however support the wider family groupings that wish to continue to ban the Sun from Anfield and for which the club are carrying out that wish.

I don't think RFL/SL should accept playing at an arena for which it has no say over what media can attend.   Different if they themselves followed the wishes of the families and the club by not allowing certain publications/media, but then that would be its own decision.  

I suspect the the MW wont be held at Anfield next season and not just because of The Sun incident.

I hope that's not an elitist comment from someone who's from a council estate and one of 10 kids

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I suspect the the MW wont be held at Anfield next season and not just because of The Sun incident.

I hope that's not an elitist comment from someone who's from a council estate and one of 10 kids

Not so sure it won't be at Anfield as Elstone gave a good indication in his commentary immediately after the last game of the MW.   As I remember he went on about having to carefully review how it went and not rush decisions, etc, etc... then a couple of questions later said he thought it would be at Anfield as it went well.

We have a similar background.... but I could be elitist now despite that..... I'm not but...

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

This topic has revealed that a lot of posters don't like The Sun and don't buy it, which makes me wonder who does buy it to make it the biggest selling newspaper in the country.

It's worth pointing out that Liverpool FC have a perfect right to ban The Sun or any other media organisation from Anfield if they wish to do so. They can ban The Sun just for their games, or they can extend the ban to other events taking place at Anfield.

But if they do the latter, you would imagine that they would inform the organisation booking the stadium at the time the booking is formalised, so that the organisation, in this case Super League, can decide whether it wants to proceed on this basis.

What isn't satisfactory is not telling Super League this beforehand and then unilaterally overruling Super League's accreditation of Gary Carter for the Magic Weekend.

It's also worth pointing out that Super League announced a few weeks ago that it had agreed a new sponsorship deal with Betfred on enhanced terms. In pitching for that agreement, Super League and Betfred will have based their agreement on how much media coverage Super League was likely to achieve. Although I obviously wasn't party to the agreement, it's likely that the coverage in national newspapers, including The Sun, will have been part of the thinking of both parties that will have determined the amount act Betfred will have agreed to pay. As has been pointed out on here, the demographic that buys The Sun isn't a million miles from the demographic that watches Rugby League.

And for those who don't read The Sun, it's worth pointing out that Gary Carter is a fine journalist who has broken many stories in that newspaper. So if it is withdrawing its coverage it will be a loss for Super League, whether we like it or not.

Before this row blew up I wouldn't have taken the Magic Weekend to Anfield simply because there appears to be very little interest in Rugby League in Liverpool. The city is obsessed by football and few alternative sports have much of a chance there.

But, regardless of whether we think The Sun is acting petulantly or not, Super League can't allow other organisations to dictate its media accreditation policy. It has to decide for itself who it will accredit and if it wishes to ban The Sun it has to be its own decision, not Liverpool FC's.

That is the issue, and it seems a pretty fundamental one to me.

UEFA overturn the ban for Champions League fixtures. 

I suspect that if Liverpool didnt comply they would be made to play home games in a different stadium.

As you state, the only recourse the RFL have would be to take the magic weekend elsewhere.

It's interesting though that LFC upheld their principles for the magic weekend yet not for the Champions League. 

I suspect the amount of money they receive from UEFA has a large influence.

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Very few people buy newspapers anymore, its a tiny fraction of the population. 

The idea that the entrance of any newspaper, never mind the sun, would be anywhere close to a determining factor for where we hold Magic is just silly. 

The sun still has a massive readership and losing its backing it a major disaster going into a TV negotiation with Sky and when looking for sponsorship.  I dont like the politics of any of the newspapers but they are essential part in giving the sport a national media profile.

My opinion of Elstone is that he is fairly dim witted individual who has found a sport to shine in because he looks nice in a suit and the other administrators struggle to string a sentence together.

3 hours ago, Niels said:

UEFA overturn the ban for Champions League fixtures. 

I suspect that if Liverpool didnt comply they would be made to play home games in a different stadium.

As you state, the only recourse the RFL have would be to take the magic weekend elsewhere.

It's interesting though that LFC upheld their principles for the magic weekend yet not for the Champions League. 

I suspect the amount of money they receive from UEFA has a large influence.

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't realised that the ban doesn't apply for Champions League games.

I also didn't realise that the ban wasn't imposed until early 2017, if I understand it correctly, which seems to be a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

In my view that makes the ban on Gary Carter totally unjustifiable.

If you are looking for a budget newspaper that does a bit of R.L. coverage; consider switching to the Daily Star. They usually have a R.L. page, or two, on match days. Also, last Tuesday they did a feature an Luther Burrell, his switch to R.L., current fitness training to adapt etc. Good stuff, interesting, and not even on a game day. I don't buy the Sun or the Star but I can usually find them laying around at work in the tea break room, in our local Chinese & Chippie, and at my local social club. The tabloids may only sell a few million a day but the reach is greater as each copy may be read by more than one person. And then, there is their Interweb presence. I haven't tried the Mirror but people have told me they are good for R.L too. The Daily Express does a postage stamp sized report on Super League games but not much more. Interestingly the Star, Mirror and Express are all owned by the same parent company.

46 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't realised that the ban doesn't apply for Champions League games.

I also didn't realise that the ban wasn't imposed until early 2017, if I understand it correctly, which seems to be a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

In my view that makes the ban on Gary Carter totally unjustifiable.

The way that the Sun reported on the incident that led to all of those dead liverpool fans, and the subsequent years of failure on the part of the Sun to acknowledge or apologise for the way in which they disrespected the dead is the only "totally unjustifiable"  thing that I can see here. 

1 minute ago, Jampot said:

The way that the Sun reported on the incident that led to all of those dead liverpool fans, and the subsequent years of failure on the part of the Sun to acknowledge their failungs is the only "totally unjustifiable"  thing that I can see here. 

Quite possibly true in relation to The Sun, although it did publish a full apology in 2012.

17 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Quite possibly true in relation to The Sun, although it did publish a full apology in 2012.

Going off that then maybe Gary can expect his apology sometime around 2042. 

1 hour ago, Jampot said:

The way that the Sun reported on the incident that led to all of those dead liverpool fans, and the subsequent years of failure on the part of the Sun to acknowledge or apologise for the way in which they disrespected the dead is the only "totally unjustifiable"  thing that I can see here. 

Perhaps we should ask Fred Done to stop sponsoring Super League as gambling is destructive to people lives.

Selective morality is an interesting concept.

Not one I think the sport can choose to play with.

All I can say is that when the next thread starts up asking how to grow the game with people yelling 'marketing' like it's going out of fashion, please think back to this thread. Losing the Sun's coverage is losing a decent bit of public awareness and 'marketing'.

Look the marketing opportunities alone make this invaluable, it's gold.

We stage a BANNED BY THE SUN ROUND and offer half price tickets to people on benefits and anyone else hounded and hunted by this newspaper and have shirt designs for every side that reflect their stories.

We could call it the GOTCHA  round!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

RFL is not guilty.

Only because they're the sporting equivalent of the three wise monkeys!

Hear Nowt, See Nowt, Say Nowt

TWM.PNG.b53e687a54591401d4b6a73030834ded.PNG

And you won't have to do owt!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

29 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Can i suggest that all the time The Sun has a indefinitely ban on Rugby League coverage that Rugby League fans have a indefinitely ban on buying  it and encourage family members and friends to do likewise.

That'll teach Robert Murdoch, the chief financer of Rugby League. 

10 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

The sun still has a massive readership and losing its backing it a major disaster going into a TV negotiation with Sky and when looking for sponsorship.  I dont like the politics of any of the newspapers but they are essential part in giving the sport a national media profile.

It’s certainly not something to cheer about out of a misguided sense of moral superiority. 

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

That'll teach Robert Murdoch, the chief financer of Rugby League. 

I thought it a valid point ,made by a writer from Wigan,in this weeks RLE,that the owner of the Sun,and Sky TV,is Mr Murdoch,but while Anfield ban The Sun they accept the monies from Sky.

I don't think we should lose sight of the fact Gary Carter may lose his job as a direct result of the actions made by a club in a high-unemployment area.

I seem to recall Gary Carter may have been forgiving,to a degree,or hold no malice towards his attacker.The love and support for him,from his wife,was particularly brilliant. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35503983

Of course,the loss of life at a soccer game could have occurred at many places during the 70's,80's and 90's.Not least Anfield during the 1960's.I blame the police. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNboU_PbZMY

It should be remembered that Liverpool has 2 cathedrals.In a secular society the art of forgiveness as stated in The Lords prayer doesn't seem to be in much evidence.

During the 2nd World War,the city of Liverpool took more bombing than other cities,except London.Huge loss of life,no doubt.

Yet the Germans,who apparently bombed the 'chippie' as used by comedian Stan Boardman,have been forgiven and they appointed a German manager who has just guided Liverpool to win the Champions League.

Strangely,it seems he is religious.A christian.One of those who can do forgiveness.

http://evangelicalfocus.com/lifetech/4134/Jurgen_Klopp_Jesus_is_the_most_important_person_in_history

https://www.premierchristianity.com/Blog/Klopp-The-Christian-football-manager-who-says-there-s-more-to-life-than-winning-trophies

Extremely popular with the man - and woman - in the street on various Twitter accounts,I would suspect most strongly,that Mr Klopp may be able to have some bearing on this matter.

Fate also dictates that the captain of Liverpool,Jordan Henderson,has a father,with whom he embraced at the conclusion of winning the European Trophy,who is a police officer with Northumbria Police.  

I have no interest in The Sun,or Liverpool FC,but I would like Gary Carter to be in employment and continue to bring rugby league reports out on a regular basis.

Can we leave the hypocrisy to the politicians? Is it not time one of those petition things(?) was started so simpletons like me can just sign it?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

9 hours ago, Jampot said:

And to what extent the Sun was guided in what to say by the ruling Conservative party, Thatcher and the Police has always been murky to say the least. Yes the Sun did wrong but I think they have beared the brunt of criticism for merely reporting what they had been told by officials covering up their own mistakes and looking for easy scapegoats.

14 hours ago, bird said:

So should the World Cup match be taken away in 2021?

yes, if they insist on controlling which media outlets can attend.  They should leave it to the appropriate staging organisations,   like they do with the European competitions.

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 22:10, JohnM said:

It makes not one jot of difference what forum members think about the Sun, or what it has done, or what it does, etc. It sells over 1,500,000 copies a day, and in all its forms reaches upwards of 10, 000, 000 a day. Its coverage of sports is in my view  a key reason for these high numbers. In adDitton,  the Sun reader demographic matches the rugby league fan demographic.

I'd say it was important that it covered our game so as to increase awareness in that demographic so finding out what went wrong,  who did what and what can be done to put it right.

In addition, it has to be remembered that the Sun was originally the Daily Herald, then when that failed, became Labour stalwart Robert Maxwell's Sun, before Rupert Murdoch finally rescued it from bankruptcy and obscurity,  creating many jobs in the process.

The Sun never belonged to Maxwell.  It belonged to Mirror publishers IPC. When it switched from broadsheet to tabloid bought the first edition, it was a pale imitation of the Mirror.  Putting naked women on page three saved the Sun's bacon.  Murdoch isn't called the "Dirty Digger" for no reason.  Maxwell bought the Mirror from IPC.  I too wouldn't wipe my ares on the Sun.  I've never read it for years. There was a period in the 90's when Shell stations were giving it away free to customers, I never took one. Having said all that, TBH I don't get why they took the game to Anfield in the first place.  Why not Leicester, Birmingham, Nottingham?  Why Liverpool?  They're not interested in RL in Liverpool and have demonstrated that again and again. 

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

If the rugby league fraternity are going out to bat for the S*n newspaper over this then forget forever expanding the game in Liverpool.

Once the Merseyside media picks up on this then the reaction will be swift and ultimately negative for rugby league.

For some on this thread I sense this is precisely how they would like it to play out.

On 17/06/2019 at 22:48, paulwalker71 said:

Isn't it obvious that the Sun was looking for a reason to can it's RL coverage, and the Magic scenario gave them an excuse to do so?

Assuming that you are right Paul, why do you think the Sun would want to stop covering Rugby League. If the typical rugby league supporter matches the typical Sun reader demographic, why would the paper want to alienate significant numbers of readers and risk a reduction in readership? 

Archived