The Sun now banning RL indefinitely

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, DC77 said:

There’s no beef (if there was any they would have reacted to Liverpool FC by covering the club less, they don’t).

RL is disposable to them, this was their excuse to ditch it. Money talks, yet here you are pandering to them. 

I'm not pandering to anyone, I'm just trying to understand what happened?

Why would you turn your back on high potential sales revenue from your core demographic (if you were the Sun), to save a few column inches? It doesn't make sense.

Do you know why they seemed to blame RL for what happened at Liverpool, when we appeared blameless in the incident?

The ''problem'' is between them and Liverpool.

You appear to be so hellbent on rubbishing the Sun, you've ignored my question.

If you don't know the answer that's ok, just say so? 

3 hours ago, Saintslass said:

The RFL's resources.  

There have been clubs in Liverpool.  But they've never taken off.  How many should be started up before we are allowed to claim rugby league is flogging a dead horse in Liverpool?  

We are still waiting. What are these resources that the RFL have ploughed into Liverpool or are you just making things up?

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

We are still waiting. What are these resources that the RFL have ploughed into Liverpool or are you just making things up?

Just in case not aware and I apologise if known - I would guess that part of the answer would be the history of clubs in Liverpool, from Liverpool Stanley early 1900's, to Liverpool City 1950's and 60's, to Huyton 1970's and 80's... I watched Liverpool at Knotty Ash, and Huyton at Alt Park, Liverpool Road.  Don't think I actually saw Huyton win a game.... 

Not saying resources put in from RFL but the clubs moved and eventually folded having moved to Runcorn.

12 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Just in case not aware and I apologise if known - I would guess that part of the answer would be the history of clubs in Liverpool, from Liverpool Stanley early 1900's, to Liverpool City 1950's and 60's, to Huyton 1970's and 80's... I watched Liverpool at Knotty Ash, and Huyton at Alt Park, Liverpool Road.  Don't think I actually saw Huyton win a game.... 

Not saying resources put in from RFL but the clubs moved and eventually folded having moved to Runcorn.

It's not part of the answer as it's nothing to do with the RFL putting in resources and isn't what's being discussed. It certainly has nothing to do with all these resources that the RFL are currently supposedly ploughing into Liverpool. The past clubs have also already been covered in previous posts too.

With regards to this thread, I thought I would make a nuisance of myself to the Sun with this e-mail...

Sir,

It has been brought to my attention that you have introduced a blanket ban on reporting anything to do with Rugby League, mainly because Liverpool FC banned your reporter from attending the Magic Weekend, which was held at Anfield. This reporter was banned because Liverpool FC have a ban on The Sun reporters, because of your dreadful reporting of the Hillsborough event, this was not a decision made by the Rugby Football League, so I am writing to ask why have you punished Rugby League by not even reporting results?

If anything you should ban Football reporting. But you won’t do that, as many of your core readers are football fans. A full explanation is required as to your petulant action.

This is the reply I got...…

Dear David,

Thank you for your email.

As I understand it, we have now resumed covering rugby league, and so you will be able to enjoy reading about it in The Sun once more.

Best wishes,
Robyn

17 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I'm not pandering to anyone, I'm just trying to understand what happened?

Why would you turn your back on high potential sales revenue from your core demographic (if you were the Sun), to save a few column inches? It doesn't make sense.

Do you know why they seemed to blame RL for what happened at Liverpool, when we appeared blameless in the incident?

The ''problem'' is between them and Liverpool.

You appear to be so hellbent on rubbishing the Sun, you've ignored my question.

If you don't know the answer that's ok, just say so? 

Apologies for coming across as argumentative. 

Not covering RL (for four weeks) due to a weekend ban, when they extensively cover a club that has banned them for good, it shows the hypocrisy of the organisation. Paper sales is all they care about. The rag is morally bankrupt. You don’t reason with them, or appeal to them. RL should be taking the moral high ground here.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

With regards to this thread, I thought I would make a nuisance of myself to the Sun with this e-mail...

Sir,

It has been brought to my attention that you have introduced a blanket ban on reporting anything to do with Rugby League, mainly because Liverpool FC banned your reporter from attending the Magic Weekend, which was held at Anfield. This reporter was banned because Liverpool FC have a ban on The Sun reporters, because of your dreadful reporting of the Hillsborough event, this was not a decision made by the Rugby Football League, so I am writing to ask why have you punished Rugby League by not even reporting results?

If anything you should ban Football reporting. But you won’t do that, as many of your core readers are football fans. A full explanation is required as to your petulant action.

This is the reply I got...…

Dear David,

Thank you for your email.

As I understand it, we have now resumed covering rugby league, and so you will be able to enjoy reading about it in The Sun once more.

Best wishes,
Robyn

Thanks for doing that and confirming what the Sun itself published a few days ago (see link I posted earlier.)

Be interested to hear how the decision was arrived at.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Of other News interest, Les Snowden, who was assistant editor at The Sun, takes over as editor of Sport at The Times, will we see an even more reduced coverage in The Times of Rugby League.

Is that even possible?

19 hours ago, Damien said:

It's not part of the answer as it's nothing to do with the RFL putting in resources and isn't what's being discussed. It certainly has nothing to do with all these resources that the RFL are currently supposedly ploughing into Liverpool. The past clubs have also already been covered in previous posts too.

sorry I made the effort to comment...

Surely this is a situation that Robert Elstone can sort out pretty easily.

If this is too big to take on what can Robert do?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Still no real explanation for their actions  though.

Perhaps it was revenge against Robert Elstone, for his action against the paper whilst at Everton and his decision to use Anfield for the Magic Weekend?

The Sun is a comic which usually leads with stories from soap TV. It sells more copies by far. 1.5 million per day  than any other...er....newspaper.

For many years it has had the best Rugby League coverage of any national paper and recently has stood by Gary Carter after the sickening assault on him which left him fighting for his life.

It clearly cannot be good for Rugby League to lose coverage to 1.5 million readers per day even if like me they only look at the easy crossword puzzle and the excellent RL coverage from Gary Carter.

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Still no real explanation for their actions  though.

Perhaps it was revenge against Robert Elstone, for his action against the paper whilst at Everton and his decision to use Anfield for the Magic Weekend?

Quite likely, but they've backed down very quickly, so all the defeatist talk of pandering to the bullies and liars of the Sun by taking games away from stadia they don't approve of can now be forgotten.

I wish.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Allora said:

Surely this is a situation that Robert Elstone can sort out pretty easily.

If this is too big to take on what can Robert do?

You would think so.  Simple telephone call.  No fuss just resume normal operations and discuss while they’re going on.  

Some newspaper coverage of RL from Friday, focusing on the Broncos game v Hull KR. Mirror, Express, Star. All credited to Gareth Walker Twitter ID @garethwalker well worth a follow.

IMG_9170.JPG

Gary Carter on Twitter @garycarter_1979 In today’s Sun - match reports from all Super League games. The table certainly looking interesting as Salford move into play-off position. Today’s first edition - Lee Radford has been told it IS possible to sign Fonua and the English lads putting the boot in down under

D9qgE-fWwAAJUgL.jpg

13 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

The Sun is a comic which usually leads with stories from soap TV. It sells more copies by far. 1.5 million per day  than any other...er....newspaper.

For many years it has had the best Rugby League coverage of any national paper and recently has stood by Gary Carter after the sickening assault on him which left him fighting for his life.

It clearly cannot be good for Rugby League to lose coverage to 1.5 million readers per day even if like me they only look at the easy crossword puzzle and the excellent RL coverage from Gary Carter.

I honestly don't think outside the sun, metro and daily mail the other newspapers don't matter that much they have such a small readership.

You could argue coverage in papers like the telegraph would put the game in the views of important people.

But people really don't read the other newspapers anymore.

However the sun still has a massive reach.

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I honestly don't think outside the sun, metro and daily mail the other newspapers don't matter that much they have such a small readership.

You could argue coverage in papers like the telegraph would put the game in the views of important people.

But people really don't read the other newspapers anymore.

However the sun still has a massive reach.

If it was the 1970s, I would agree with you.

I think you seem unaware though of the online reach on the Daily Mail and the Guardian and the changing way people get their news and sport with the advent of the internet.

49 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think you seem unaware though of the online reach on the Daily Mail and the Guardian and the changing way people get their news and sport with the advent of the internet.

That's a fair point.

I 'm quite surprised at the numbers of peoiple accessing news online. The table in this article on online readership shows some hefty numbers. A standout for me is the Independent which, with no print position, reaches 22 million readers a month.

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

This applies very much to Rugby League. Before the internet, finding news on TGG was a matter of blind luck outside dedicated publications like LE (if it was even on sale locally), and usually underwhelmingly minimal if you did find some in the national papers.

The internet's been huge for RL.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived