The Sun now banning RL indefinitely

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If it was the 1970s, I would agree with you.

I think you seem unaware though of the online reach on the Daily Mail and the Guardian and the changing way people get their news and sport with the advent of the internet.

I doubt Rugby League stories are that visible on the internet.  The information people see is normally targeted.

It might be a case of singing to the choir.  I question even if a website has a high volume of traffic people are browsing to the Rugby League section.

If you want to be a story that people are talking about having a nice big colour picture that people can look at while having their breakfasts in a cafe or such like is still the best way to go.

Rugby League needs to start being an accessible form of entertainment, not some private members club for Yorkshiremen and a select few places in Lancashire.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I doubt Rugby League stories are that visible on the internet.  The information people see is normally targeted.

It might be a case of singing to the choir.  I question even if a website has a high volume of traffic people are browsing to the Rugby League section.

If you want to be a story that people are talking about having a nice big colour picture that people can look at while having their breakfasts in a cafe or such like is still the best way to go.

Rugby League needs to start being an accessible form of entertainment, not some private members club for Yorkshiremen and a select few places in Lancashire.

The paid for print media is dying, mate - focus there and the sport will wither.

It’s pretty obvious that online news websites are where the audience have gone and will continue to go.

In that environment, you have to look at the reach that the quality broadsheets have as well as the likes of the S*n and the Daily Mail.

18 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The paid for print media is dying, mate - focus there and the sport will wither.

It’s pretty obvious that online news websites are where the audience have gone and will continue to go.

In that environment, you have to look at the reach that the quality broadsheets have as well as the likes of the S*n and the Daily Mail.

You still need Dave at work who normally just watches darts and football to know when Super League is on SKY.

Your online media wont do that and for now we have to work with tabloids going into TV negotiations.

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

You still need Dave at work who normally just watches darts and football to know when Super League is on SKY.

Your online media wont do that and for now we have to work with tabloids going into TV negotiations.

Dave at work will be on his phone getting that information 

23 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think you’ve got to ask yourself what are people doing as a substitute to watching or playing rugby league?

People need to be excited about the sport and it needs to relevant to peoples lives.  This is why we still need to work with the print media.  We have to go after the general public and grabbing their attention.

Internet versions of daily newspapers cannot be relied upon .  The   RL section of the Daily Mail website which boasts ' Up to date news etc. on Rugby League'  , until yesterday carried , as its headline, a game from the Magic Weekend four weeks ago.  No doubt it will now remain unchanged for another month

On 23/06/2019 at 17:55, Gerrumonside ref said:

Maybe, but we still have print media (all-be-it slowly disappearing. Plus they do influence other media, i.e. what the papers say on 24hour news channels for example (not sport admittedly) or transfer rumours on other media such as sky web.

Personally I never bother going to online websites anymore due to advertising taking ages to bring up said news. With the exception of this forum of course. No doubt younger people go to different places but not sure they go to on-line news web-sites. Then again I have no idea but I don't get the impression interested in general news.

Local radio would be a good avenue for news... tons of local media radio and a lot have local news.  OK not as many listen but their are many... gosh if I drive past Oldham I pick up a few... often with "DJ" talking between music. get them to give snippets of RL news...

We are niche. hence have to approach things with a niche mindset to our marketing... endeavouring to grow the niche size.  I some times think our administrators still like to think we are more than we are and take normal broad brush interest marketing approach. like we are a soccer interest type sport.  

On 21/06/2019 at 17:29, Damien said:

We are still waiting. What are these resources that the RFL have ploughed into Liverpool or are you just making things up?

from research i have done on expansion throughout RL history one of the major issues is that the RFL dont put much resource into it, they react to other people wanting to do something and their reaction is simply in opening the league spot up to them, then they are on their own. Its a common misconception that expansion sides tend to get much support and certainly in the past, i wish it would change but it never seems to.

i have seen letters from different expansion clubs asking simply for kit or for grants for kit to the RFL and i have seen the replies that are pretty much "sorry mate we dont do that".. what could have been if the RFL had just helped one or two of them out a bit is truly sad to contemplate.

Archived