Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Yosser

The Sun now banning RL indefinitely

13 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

The Sun is a comic which usually leads with stories from soap TV. It sells more copies by far. 1.5 million per day  than any other...er....newspaper.

For many years it has had the best Rugby League coverage of any national paper and recently has stood by Gary Carter after the sickening assault on him which left him fighting for his life.

It clearly cannot be good for Rugby League to lose coverage to 1.5 million readers per day even if like me they only look at the easy crossword puzzle and the excellent RL coverage from Gary Carter.

I honestly don't think outside the sun, metro and daily mail the other newspapers don't matter that much they have such a small readership.

You could argue coverage in papers like the telegraph would put the game in the views of important people.

But people really don't read the other newspapers anymore.

However the sun still has a massive reach.

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I honestly don't think outside the sun, metro and daily mail the other newspapers don't matter that much they have such a small readership.

You could argue coverage in papers like the telegraph would put the game in the views of important people.

But people really don't read the other newspapers anymore.

However the sun still has a massive reach.

If it was the 1970s, I would agree with you.

I think you seem unaware though of the online reach on the Daily Mail and the Guardian and the changing way people get their news and sport with the advent of the internet.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

49 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think you seem unaware though of the online reach on the Daily Mail and the Guardian and the changing way people get their news and sport with the advent of the internet.

That's a fair point.

I 'm quite surprised at the numbers of peoiple accessing news online. The table in this article on online readership shows some hefty numbers. A standout for me is the Independent which, with no print position, reaches 22 million readers a month.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

This applies very much to Rugby League. Before the internet, finding news on TGG was a matter of blind luck outside dedicated publications like LE (if it was even on sale locally), and usually underwhelmingly minimal if you did find some in the national papers.

The internet's been huge for RL.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 3

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I doubt Rugby League stories are that visible on the internet.  The information people see is normally targeted.

It might be a case of singing to the choir.  I question even if a website has a high volume of traffic people are browsing to the Rugby League section.

If you want to be a story that people are talking about having a nice big colour picture that people can look at while having their breakfasts in a cafe or such like is still the best way to go.

Rugby League needs to start being an accessible form of entertainment, not some private members club for Yorkshiremen and a select few places in Lancashire.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I doubt Rugby League stories are that visible on the internet.  The information people see is normally targeted.

It might be a case of singing to the choir.  I question even if a website has a high volume of traffic people are browsing to the Rugby League section.

If you want to be a story that people are talking about having a nice big colour picture that people can look at while having their breakfasts in a cafe or such like is still the best way to go.

Rugby League needs to start being an accessible form of entertainment, not some private members club for Yorkshiremen and a select few places in Lancashire.

The paid for print media is dying, mate - focus there and the sport will wither.

It’s pretty obvious that online news websites are where the audience have gone and will continue to go.

In that environment, you have to look at the reach that the quality broadsheets have as well as the likes of the S*n and the Daily Mail.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

18 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The paid for print media is dying, mate - focus there and the sport will wither.

It’s pretty obvious that online news websites are where the audience have gone and will continue to go.

In that environment, you have to look at the reach that the quality broadsheets have as well as the likes of the S*n and the Daily Mail.

You still need Dave at work who normally just watches darts and football to know when Super League is on SKY.

Your online media wont do that and for now we have to work with tabloids going into TV negotiations.

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

You still need Dave at work who normally just watches darts and football to know when Super League is on SKY.

Your online media wont do that and for now we have to work with tabloids going into TV negotiations.

Dave at work will be on his phone getting that information 

18 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Dave at work will be on his phone getting that information 

Does not work that way you have to make people want to care about things.

This is why Rugby League is dying.

Just now, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Does not work that way you have to make people want to care about things.

This is why Rugby League is dying.

I think you’ve got to ask yourself what are people doing as a substitute to watching or playing rugby league?

23 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think you’ve got to ask yourself what are people doing as a substitute to watching or playing rugby league?

People need to be excited about the sport and it needs to relevant to peoples lives.  This is why we still need to work with the print media.  We have to go after the general public and grabbing their attention.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2019 at 13:42, JohnM said:

purely on their choice of newspaper. 

If only it was that simple.

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

Internet versions of daily newspapers cannot be relied upon .  The   RL section of the Daily Mail website which boasts ' Up to date news etc. on Rugby League'  , until yesterday carried , as its headline, a game from the Magic Weekend four weeks ago.  No doubt it will now remain unchanged for another month

2 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

..... we still need to work with the print media.  We have to go after the general public and grabbing their attention.

Agreed.

An example ... the Oldham Evening Chronicle ceased to be a couple of years ago and previously had one of the longest-serving and well-respected RL reporters in Roger Halstead, who covered his first game for Oldham in 1964 (maybe Martyn Sadler can vouch for his credentials).

Every evening there was almost a full page devoted to Oldham RL news and which therefore kept it in people's mind even though they might not have been fervent supporters.

However, it's probably more than just a coincidence that since the Chronicle's demise the status of the club and the interest in it has certainly decreased within the town mainly because people are no longer being fed snippets of information and thus lose any affiliation with the club.

It's OK saying that the current trend is to glean any required information from the internet but how many really go and look for the latest news of something which they have no real interest in? At least in the newspaper the news was there in front of them and those people would have at least been aware of the club from just seeing news about it while flicking over the pages.

• Like 4

Great find! 

Station Road still looked like that 25 years later!

Four legs good - two legs bad

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Great find! 

Station Road still looked like that 25 years later!

Unbelievably Belle Vue looks worse now!

On 23/06/2019 at 17:55, Gerrumonside ref said:

Maybe, but we still have print media (all-be-it slowly disappearing. Plus they do influence other media, i.e. what the papers say on 24hour news channels for example (not sport admittedly) or transfer rumours on other media such as sky web.

Personally I never bother going to online websites anymore due to advertising taking ages to bring up said news. With the exception of this forum of course. No doubt younger people go to different places but not sure they go to on-line news web-sites. Then again I have no idea but I don't get the impression interested in general news.

Local radio would be a good avenue for news... tons of local media radio and a lot have local news.  OK not as many listen but their are many... gosh if I drive past Oldham I pick up a few... often with "DJ" talking between music. get them to give snippets of RL news...

We are niche. hence have to approach things with a niche mindset to our marketing... endeavouring to grow the niche size.  I some times think our administrators still like to think we are more than we are and take normal broad brush interest marketing approach. like we are a soccer interest type sport.  

On 21/06/2019 at 17:29, Damien said:

We are still waiting. What are these resources that the RFL have ploughed into Liverpool or are you just making things up?

from research i have done on expansion throughout RL history one of the major issues is that the RFL dont put much resource into it, they react to other people wanting to do something and their reaction is simply in opening the league spot up to them, then they are on their own. Its a common misconception that expansion sides tend to get much support and certainly in the past, i wish it would change but it never seems to.

i have seen letters from different expansion clubs asking simply for kit or for grants for kit to the RFL and i have seen the replies that are pretty much "sorry mate we dont do that".. what could have been if the RFL had just helped one or two of them out a bit is truly sad to contemplate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1