Champions and relegation

The only reason I can see for an end of season play off to determine the champions is because of Magic weekend  making the league unbalanced. Shouldn’t the same theory apply to relegation I.e. have a play off

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Just now, DEANO said:

The only reason I can see for an end of season play off to determine the champions is because of Magic weekend  making the league unbalanced. Shouldn’t the same theory apply to relegation I.e. have a play off

Oh dear , you just had to didn't you ? ?

Look the problem of our sport is lack of stability, continuity and opportunities for forward planning so suggestions of even more jeopardy makes no sense what so ever!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

9 hours ago, DEANO said:

3 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Just saying the league is not fair with a 3rd fixture 

I have always thought that there is no need to pick the opposing teams before the season starts in both the Magic and Bash weekends, do it from a couple of weekends prior and have 1 v 2, 3 v 4 and so on, that would be the fairest way to arrange the fixtures, the only stumbling block with that is with speccies wanting to "stay over" and arranging the day,  but the way to try to get round that is to play it accessible in say Manchester or West Yorkshire.

But yes totally agree the imbalance in fixtures should demand a play off for the bottom clubs and relegation, if it is deemed necessary to find the champion club.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I have always thought that there is no need to pick the opposing teams before the season starts in both the Magic and Bash weekends, do it from a couple of weekends prior and have 1 v 2, 3 v 4 and so on, that would be the fairest way to arrange the fixtures, the only stumbling block with that is with speccies wanting to "stay over" and arranging the day,  but the way to try to get round that is to play it accessible in say Manchester or West Yorkshire.

Why stop there,share it between Headingley and the DW and call it the not so magic day out !

13 hours ago, DEANO said:

The only reason? There are six extra loop fixtures you may have overlooked.

rldfsignature.jpg

5 hours ago, DEANO said:

Just saying the league is not fair with a 3rd fixture 

All clubs know what they have to do. Perfectly fair, now if they didn't tell someone what they have to do that would be unfair.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

29 minutes ago, Padge said:

All clubs know what they have to do. Perfectly fair, now if they didn't tell someone what they have to do that would be unfair.

well yes it is clear what the rules are, but it is still unbalanced and to me unfair if they don't all play the same teams home and away... that is similar fixture lists for all.

Otherwise their is an element of unfairness if one team is playing the better teams more often and away from home for example. I have no idea which teams have had the advantage of better fixtures due to the loop fixtures plus magic, but it isn't an even playing field.   Same applies to the top five positions.

Yes, all teams know no matter what the fixture balance is that they are relegated if finish bottom.

12 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Yes, all teams know no matter what the fixture balance is that they are relegated if finish bottom.

So they know what to do and it is therefore.fair.

Your logic says the challenge cup is unfair because some get an easy draw and some don't.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I assume you mean Leeds.

Obviously ?

36 minutes ago, DEANO said:

The logic I’m using is if they need a play off to determine the champions surely the same logic should apply to relegation 

Off course that is logically the only fair method of determining who should be relegated, but even then being on the "wrong" side of the 7 extra fixtures could determine if a club would end up in the relegation play off's or not and this season that could easily be decided by points difference, just the same on the opposite side of the table that a team with a "favourable" 7 extra fixtures could sneak into the top 5 and who know's do a Leeds from 5th position!

Quite simple then. Have enough teams to play each other home and away. Scrap the magic weekend. Top of the league are true champions. Bottom team relegated. Simples

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

5 hours ago, Padge said:

So they know what to do and it is therefore.fair.

Your logic says the challenge cup is unfair because some get an easy draw and some don't.

nope it doesn't, the cup is a drawn affair,,, pot luck.

The  league table is not that... its a merit table based upon playing all teams equally - or should be

It is fair that they all know what to do... but it ain't fair as they play different teams more or less times. The consequences of relegation are far higher than being knocked out the cup., hence its more important to have a level playing field, which it is not because of the loop fixtures.

Archived