Posters not from the heartlands: how did you first become interested in rugby league?

So, I haven't been on the forum for a long-time. Truth be told. I have found myself drifting away from the game, but reading some of the stories above I have found it really interesting and quite the opposite of my experiences!

I grew up in Leeds and was RL mad until I left for Uni. Was a Leeds season ticket holder for all of my childhood until leaving. After Uni I moved to London for work, occasionally I would go to the Broncos for my fix! Also, would venture to Headingley as much as I could.

But I have really drifted in recent years since I moved to Cornwall. Yes this is probably part of the physical distance, but also, there is precious little RL. Despite being such a RU heartland, I could write home about the opportunities for RL down these parts. Culturally there is a lot in common with the north. But to keep on topic, RL has just not found its way down here (minus the Cornish Rebels).

The issue I find is just that the game doesn't get a mention in passing by even the most ardent of sports enthusiasts. It just isn't on most people's radars, its not on in the pubs, its not on the TV, its not in the media. You REALLY have to go out of your way to find out about it, and quite frankly, only the most ardent RL folk would do that. Trust me, not a soul has heard of the OuRLeague App in these parts!

If I am up north I usually try and coincide with a game and get along. Although I did make a special trip for the WCC in Melbourne last year. It was bucket list type of stuff, watching Ryan Hall score in front of you to put us in front against the Aussies! It got me thinking about just how far I have drifted and well... poses the question for RL marketeers across the game, how do they retain my custom? How do they turn me into an advocate that spreads the word? I wonder what the customer retention rate is like across our game. How much does it cost us to acquire a new supporter? Perhaps topics for another time.

Either way, I do find myself drifting from the game at the moment. The club game is entertaining, but just doesn't make traction into the generalist sports fans radars down here. International events, England/GB is where we make the big headlines wider than the M62 corridor. That is what grabs my fellow Cornishman's attention. Its relevant to them in a way the club game isnt. It's an identity they can get hold of and own.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What great uplifting stories.

Come on Martyn, there's a regular column in this!

23 hours ago, Chris22 said:

How about featuring some of these stories in a regular fixture in League Express, Martyn? This thread has been great reading and I'm sure an extended feature in the paper would go down well.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's something I would certainly like to do, although perhaps Rugby League World would be the best vehicle for this.

But it's certainly an enjoyable thread to read.

23 hours ago, RP London said:

its not just how they found the game but what they then go on to do with that knowledge too... 

Some of us helped out in areas we lived with the games, junior work, playing... some travel the length and breadth of the country supporting their side... some are season ticket holders at smaller clubs.. some are regulars at amateur clubs.. etc etc

All of that will show just what can happen with coverage on FTA, with amateur expansion sides, with League one expansion sides, University RL and so on. It would hopefully show a few people what expansion is about, how it can take time, how it is worth it but also how it is built on the back of things like the Uni game and when i say people I also include members of the RFL board who pay only lip service to this type of thing.

Look at Fighting Irish's story... what could happen if someone up high really helped... 

I suspect a lot of us “invest” in the game one way or another. For what it’s worth I’ve put a few pounds into Skolars over the years and taken around 40 newbies to the game but ........it’s not  enough and never will be. Need bigger institution behind expansion ............but that’s not the topic of this thread which is much more positive!!

As a Kent lad - BBC coverage in the 80s and especially the ashes games - all the way from Lydon's great try against the Aussies in 1986 (10 at the time).

I've known of the existence of rugby league since some time in the early 80s. Back then I was at school in Wales (a five year stint, I was mostly brought up in Sussex, and have lived all my adult years in London), so of course rugby union was the thing. But a few times when we were missing some kids our PE teacher would make us play league instead. Dunno why, he could have just said "no flankers" and have us carry on under union rules. But anyway, I'm not sure that he fully understood the laws of league, as my abiding impression from back then is that after a tackle the ref blew his whistle, everything stopped for a bit, everyone gets up, then you play the ball. Very stop-start, no continuity. I continued to be vaguely aware that this other rugby code existed but never saw much of it. I think I might have flicked past it on the telly a few times but never stopped to watch, because why would you watch a game that stops all the time like that.

And then in 2013 I was flicking through the channels and saw a world cup match. Don't remember which one it was, but someone was breaking away and scoring an absolutely brilliant try, the sort of play which you could get in either code and which brings the whole stadium to its feet. I thought "ooh, this looks good", and got a bit confused when the score only went up by 4 instead of 5 like it should have done. It wasn't long from the subsequent restart that it was clear this wasn't the rugby I was used to, but I stayed with it for a few seconds more and seeing it played properly was a revelation. I've been hooked ever since. I now consider anyone who has seen both codes played properly and doesn't love them both to be in a state of sin.

During my union playing days I was a prop, a position that basically doesn't exist in league teams which might as well consist entirely of backs, so I know with absolute certainty that if I were to play again I'd prefer to *play* union over league - not that it's ever gonna happen with my bad back, dodgy ankles and so on. But I'm happy *watching* both. Most weekends, when I'm not umpiring a cricket match, you'll find me at The Stoop watching Quins, or at Trailfinders for the Broncos, or at the New River for the Skolars, or watching the Brixton Bulls or Streatham-Croydon RFC. If the kick-off times let me see Quins, Broncos and Skolars on the same day then I will.

Off topic a touch but I've just watched the 1978 Wembley final between St Helen's and Halifax on ''Our League''.

If you're not a member, sign up. The game is absolutely brilliant!

Not at all dated, high speed, great skill, huge hits almost all of which bring the ball carrier to ground in one crash, (keep an eye on Australian full back Graham Eady tackling ).

All played in front of full house (and I was there).

A feast.

Show it to your newcomer friends.

15 hours ago, EssexRL said:

I suspect a lot of us “invest” in the game one way or another. For what it’s worth I’ve put a few pounds into Skolars over the years and taken around 40 newbies to the game but ........it’s not  enough and never will be. Need bigger institution behind expansion ............but that’s not the topic of this thread which is much more positive!!

totally agree.. i think some of the more "heartlands" fans would be surprised just how much the fans in more "expansion" territories give to the game and do for it in their own way compared to some in the heartlands. Most on here do not fall into that category but there are a lot out there (you can see by those who just think expansion lives off RFL handouts etc).. It would be a great set of articles IMHO and it would only be a snap shot of those of us on this board let alone those doing some amazing work who will have fantastic stories that arent on this board.

6 hours ago, RP London said:

totally agree.. i think some of the more "heartlands" fans would be surprised just how much the fans in more "expansion" territories give to the game and do for it in their own way compared to some in the heartlands. Most on here do not fall into that category but there are a lot out there (you can see by those who just think expansion lives off RFL handouts etc).. It would be a great set of articles IMHO and it would only be a snap shot of those of us on this board let alone those doing some amazing work who will have fantastic stories that arent on this board.

Perhaps getting the RL bug outside of the heartlands makes you a bit evangelical.  

I am from the heartlands and I am Rugby League nuts but the way I got involved is unusual? In the mid 70's the pubs used to close at 2pm on Sunday afternoon. Somebody told me that I could still get a drink after 2 if I went to Salford (The Willows) and  Swinton (Station road) RL grounds. Here I am!

On 28/06/2019 at 07:01, deluded pom? said:

Can I ask how this early hatred of RL was compounded into your thoughts as a young player growing up?

"Those ###### steal our players".

But that was a long time ago. Anyone who tries to hold the sins of the distant past against the RFL/RFU/WRU/whoever is really being a bit silly as the people who behaved appallingly are mostly dead or retired.

4 hours ago, DrHyde said:

But that was a long time ago. Anyone who tries to hold the sins of the distant past against the RFL/RFU/WRU/whoever is really being a bit silly as the people who behaved appallingly are mostly dead or retired.

Except the ones in RU that still cling on to that attitude.

4 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Except the ones in RU that still cling on to that attitude.

I did say mostly. But there's so few of them left that they have no real influence any more.

Played Rugby Union in Canada since I was in grade school where it became my second love after Ice Hockey.  

I have played and coached but hung up the boots a few years ago on my 30th birthday.  

My interest in League  as a spectator is fairly lengthy albeit, before the Wolfpack, I watched NRL exclusively and didn't pay any attention to English Rugby League.

14 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

I am from the heartlands and I am Rugby League nuts but the way I got involved is unusual? In the mid 70's the pubs used to close at 2pm on Sunday afternoon. Somebody told me that I could still get a drink after 2 if I went to Salford (The Willows) and  Swinton (Station road) RL grounds. Here I am!

its one of the other ways the establishment shafted us, changed the licensing laws so we couldn't attract one of our key demographics.. the "just one more" drinker ?

13 hours ago, DrHyde said:

and lets be fair, for the most part in the last 5-6 years they've been stealing our players! :kolobok_ph34r:

15 hours ago, DrHyde said:

The bias and animosity toward league from union still runs pretty deep in places from what I've been told about just this year. I'm leaving club names out because I wouldn't want to cause more bother, but I know of Union club who had agreed to allow a RL Community club access to there facilities who were then threatened with removal of funds from the county and the RFU if they went ahead. Fortunately the Union club took a stand and the governing bodies backed down proving that at least in some areas the relationship has thawed.

On 18/06/2019 at 12:53, dredgie said:

Grew up in Ealing (who knew one day we would have a Super League team) & used to catch games on grandstand and started taking more than a passing interest - then super league happened and suddenly there was a top level team playing just down the road and i was hooked

Think lot of posts on this thread show the power of free to view games to snare the casual sports fan

An Acton boy here!

I think there's definitely something to be said for Grandstand, and not just from a RL perspective. I think this country's sporting culture is much poorer for its demise - just think of all those sports that used to be given an audience but are now shut out and struggle for recognition as a result. 20 minutes of Durham Wasps v Fifes Flyers has been replaced by a panel of football pundits discussing the goals being scored in a game they're not allowed to actually show! The dominance of football is not only damaging to other sports but also to that game as well. People are actually fed up of it being continually aired.

For RL, I think we do need to increase our free to air coverage AND look at more internationals - preferably hand in hand. That's how you get people who aren't born into the sport.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I vaguely remember watching 'rugby' on TV as a kid but, coming from a very working class London family, mine was very much a football and cricket household. We did watch other sports on TV but that was just background noise tbh.

When I started at secondary school in 1990 I suddenly found myself playing rugby - we knew just about enough to know it was union not league - but I have to say I hated every minute of it. Being athletic I was picked to play at centre and still remember playing my first game and having no idea of the rules other than having to pass it backwards. I also remember basically wasting my Saturday mornings walking around the rugby pitch getting cold hands whilst the fat lads rolled around in the mud and the scrum half (who went on to play for Ireland RU) kicked the ball downfield. 

We did, however, have a PE teacher called Jason Wing who had played for London Crusaders (and been a winter Olympian) and occasionally in training we'd play a bit of rugby league. And I was astonished to find I touched the ball more, tackled more, enjoyed it more. That was around the time we got cable TV and I started watching RL on Friday and Sunday - and I fell in love with it. I distinctly remember the 1992 Lions Tour, the joy of that second test and the crushing disappointment of the 3rd. But it was still a distinctly northern sport.

Then one Sunday, the evening highlights package came from London - Crusaders v Workington. I'd known the club existed but hadn't considered going to a game. It was a great game that ended in a draw. A few weeks later they met again at Old Trafford. My dad and I watched that and decided we'd go to the next home game - which happened to be the next season, under the Broncos moniker, against Keighley, and played at Hendon FC's ground. Not long after that we went to Wembley for the GB v Australia game - and that was it! We were both hooked for life.

Now, my old man, after 65 years of following QPR religiously, barely watches a game of football (I enjoy coaching it but struggle to watch a game) and yet he's alongside me at the Broncos every week. We both remain genuinely in awe of the players and, not only what they put their bodies through, but the skill level and athleticism they demonstrate. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

31 posts deleted.  This is a rugby league forum on a rugby league site covering a positive subject about rugby league.  This thread is certainly not for willy-waggling over cross-code issues.  In fact, this entire sub-forum is off-limits for cross-code issues unless specifically given the nod by me or John Drake, or one of the TRL staff/management posting a specific query.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I was born in East London and moved out to Essex in the late 70s.

The sporting curriculum at my comp was basically rugby union and football. My experience of that was that most kids in my school would do a PE lesson but we struggled to raise a team to play at weekends, we could barely field a team.

I remember coming home from playing Saturday morning football matches and flicking on grandstand and the earliest memory I have is of Lee Crooks trucking it up for Hull. I found it a novelty to see a forward kicking as well because all i’d seen in union was backs kicking.

It piqued my interest because the game was tough and attritional. I loved the collisions and watching games with low scores played in sometimes terrible conditions. There seemed to be an honest integrity about the players and the way they committed their bodies to the collision. 

It was an honest, authentic sport.

I have an early memory of my grandad at some point in the 80s referencing football and it must have been around the time of the infamous Luton Millwall game in 1985 and the massive problem of football hooliganism in the mid 80s. My granddad simply said something along the lines of  ‘you’d never get that in Rugby League,  the players wouldn’t put up with it.’

Quite a comment and a long time ago but it stuck with me and reinforced my positive view of the game and the players.

I went to university in the early 90s and got in with some RL fans. I remember going up to watch Leigh v London at Barnet Copthall in around 93-94 in a challenge cup game.

I remember playing a game of RL for University of London, might have been vs Middlesex Uni. I was pretty fit at the time. Within about 10 minutes I was gassed. At that point at a basic low level I got an insight into what you need to have to be an RL player. I left the game thinking just how unbelievably fit and tough athletes RL players are, to run, support, get back and make the collisions seemed to me pretty Herculean.

I’ve missed perhaps 1-2 home games a season since 1996 in the great early days for Broncos then but spend a lot of watching Broncos,  the rest of SuperLeague and the NRL.

16 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Played Rugby Union in Canada since I was in grade school where it became my second love after Ice Hockey.  

I have played and coached but hung up the boots a few years ago on my 30th birthday.  

My interest in League  as a spectator is fairly lengthy albeit, before the Wolfpack, I watched NRL exclusively and didn't pay any attention to English Rugby League.

Quick question, what age is “grade school” 

1 hour ago, RP London said:

Quick question, what age is “grade school” 

Primary & Secondary School.  Pre-University Schooling.  We have a grading system in Canada, Kindergarten to Grade 12

Kindergarten - Age 5

Grade 1 - Age 6

Grade 2 - Age 7

Grade 12 - Age 17

and so on.

Archived