Tony Adams

On 18/06/2019 at 14:02, Eddie said:

Nothing to be cynical about, and it wasn’t negative I was just wondering what he’s been up to as there’s been nothing in the media about it. 

But in fact it has been in the media... It was on the BBC website yesterday. It is still up there now.  It was not difficult to notice it to be frank.  And pertinently but carefully he was pointing out the issues around gambling.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

But in fact it has been in the media... It was on the BBC website yesterday. It is still up there now.  It was not difficult to notice it to be frank.  And pertinently but carefully he was pointing out the issues around gambling.

I don't think Eddie has time travelling abilities or the future visions of Mystic Meg.

Eddie started the thread on the 18th June, the rather excellent piece on the BBC website is dated 16th July.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

I started this thread a month ago Rupert. Until this BBC article yesterday Adams has been nowhere to be seen. And if he wants to look at gambling advertising he should look no further than the football Premiership and Championship - there’s barely a club shirt without a betting company sponsor. 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I started this thread a month ago Rupert. Until this BBC article yesterday Adams has been nowhere to be seen. And if he wants to look at gambling advertising he should look no further than the football Premiership and Championship - there’s barely a club shirt without a betting company sponsor. 

I take your point. 

I imagine based on what he says he is aware about the problems of gambling and footballers.  I do not see that he is avoiding the issue.   He also points out his charity has helped 400 rugby league players who were on pain killers.  He seems to be doing his best.

I was disappointed slightly in the gambling bit, though I agree it's a vital issue, it was a turned inward move and theme and I was hoping he'd take more of a lead in onwards and upwards.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

18 hours ago, Eddie said:

lets be fair on the 2 main things in this thread

1. what has he done since becoming president and why has he been so quiet?

answer: he only took up the post in July so what do we expect from him until he takes up his post?

confirmed on Rugby-league.com that he takes up post in July

2. If he has an issue he should look no further than the football......

answer: but he is being asked about Rugby League... if he started rambling on about football we would all be up in arms that he was being interviewed and asked about our sport in his role as President yet he was rambling on about Football... (i am of the understanding that with his charity he is lobbying the FA and the government and others about Betting firms on the shirts etc so is doing a fair bit to try and sort the problem as a whole) he is, however, doing what we have always asked people to do and that is talk about RL when asked about RL. 

One gets the feeling that just like many others in our sport he is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt with a lot of "fans".

I'm not sure I am a massive fan of his comments here tbh, whilst not disagreeing with him. 

But as President of the RFL, I'm not sure he should be making these comments when some of our biggest partners are bookmakers - with two new deals signed this year with Coral and BetFred. We are not moving away from them, so as a game we look a bit odd, our President questioning them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived