TRL Helpdesk: Made to Measure Shirts

Hello, 

Due to my inhuman proportions, I could do with a tailor to come up with a shirt for me. 

Would there be anywhere around St Helens (Liverpool, Manchester) who could be recommended?

Thanks!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I had a couple of made to measure shirts on the internet ( from India ). I was really pleased. They kept my measurements and it should have been easily to reorder" SHOULD have been but wasn't.

I asked for two more a few months later at the same price and as it was 2 shirts it had only to pay the postage once.

They sent them in singles and added twice the postage. Not only that but they underpaid. I had to go to the post office  to pay postage and import duty on both parcels.

Ended up costing a fortune. A couple of emails later they told me that they only sent shirts 1 to a package ( a change of policy!). They apologised for the underpayment and offered to pay the postage next time I ordered. 

I think I paid about £25 per the first time and about £50 per the second time. I told them to get stuffed and haven't ordered any more.

To be fair the quality , cost and fit were excellent. Just a shame for the last experience which left a taste in my mouth.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I can trump anyone when it comes to being hard to get things to fit.... Got measured u up in Thailand years ago and order everything from there now.... Measurements change so I keep him up to date... Even had my wedding suit done

Highly recommend them .... MBK tailors Bangkok and hell tell you measurements he needs

https://www.google.com/search?q=gmc+tailors+bangkok&oq=gmc+tailors+bangkok&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.3950j0j9&client=ms-android-vf-gb-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=16251337081144583063

6 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Hello, 

Due to my inhuman proportions, I could do with a tailor to come up with a shirt for me. 

Would there be anywhere around St Helens (Liverpool, Manchester) who could be recommended?

Thanks!

Are you that far out from standard sizing that buying off the peg and getting it altered wouldn't be easier? 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

21 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Are you that far out from standard sizing that buying off the peg and getting it altered wouldn't be easier? 

It seems so. A 17” neck, short arms, 40” chest, 31” waist. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

13 hours ago, Bob8 said:

It seems so. A 17” neck, short arms, 40” chest, 31” waist. 

I too would recommend Frank Rostron in Manchester.   Very nice shirts indeed, but not cheap.  

A much cheaper alternative is Charles Tyrwhitt online.   I find that you can fiddle with the sizing to get a reasonable fit.   Nothing like as good as Frank Rostron but about a fifth of the price. 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

As an aside I have found that TKMaxx often has shirts quite cheap and only has the odd sizes (as they get the end of lines etc) you can sometimes find what you would consider a really odd size in there cheap - I have found several to fit my 17.5/46/34 but i have longer arms (in fact i have v.broad shoulders which means most shirts end up short in the arm

4 hours ago, Steve May said:

I too would recommend Frank Rostron in Manchester.   Very nice shirts indeed, but not cheap.  

A much cheaper alternative is Charles Tyrwhitt online.   I find that you can fiddle with the sizing to get a reasonable fit.   Nothing like as good as Frank Rostron but about a fifth of the price. 

I use Hawes & Curtis online in very much the same way. I wouldn't be surprised if a combination of slim fit, shorter arm length with a 17" collar were available.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

6 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

th.jpg

When I was very young, it was a 36” chest, 28” waist and the same neck. I was attacked once around the neck and was bewildered by his odd choice of target more than anything. 

19 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

As an aside I have found that TKMaxx often has shirts quite cheap and only has the odd sizes (as they get the end of lines etc) you can sometimes find what you would consider a really odd size in there cheap - I have found several to fit my 17.5/46/34 but i have longer arms (in fact i have v.broad shoulders which means most shirts end up short in the arm

I confess that pretty much everything that fits my neck fits like a tent. 

Archived