How far would you travel to see one of your favourite bands?...

Well?

If, say, you lived in Hull and your daughter bought you some tickets to see Metallica at Twickenham stadium this Thursday night, you'd obviously make the effort right? After all, it's not too bad a journey is it?, 2hrs 40 mins ish on train, probably 4 hours drive, perhaps somewhere between16 and 18 hours on bicycle...

Eh?!?!

Yes folks, tomorrow morning, my mate Ullman will be setting off on his pushbike to cycle the 200 ish miles to his daughter's gaff in London, in readiness for the Metallica concert the following evening.

All I can say is, best of luck mate, hope the weather holds up for you, and obviously hope you have a safe journey down there.

I still can't believe you're getting the train back....lightweight!

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I'm a TGG fan we travel short distances and moan about how long it takes, what kind of question is that? I think it was the Daleks who said does not compute.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I hope everyone tuts loudly as he shunts the bike onto the train.

Best of luck. I always thought it was the West Yorkshire mob who would do anything to save a few quid.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

16 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Well?

If, say, you lived in Hull and your daughter bought you some tickets to see Metallica at Twickenham stadium this Thursday night, you'd obviously make the effort right? After all, it's not too bad a journey is it?, 2hrs 40 mins ish on train, probably 4 hours drive, perhaps somewhere between16 and 18 hours on bicycle...

Eh?!?!

Yes folks, tomorrow morning, my mate Ullman will be setting off on his pushbike to cycle the 200 ish miles to his daughter's gaff in London, in readiness for the Metallica concert the following evening.

All I can say is, best of luck mate, hope the weather holds up for you, and obviously hope you have a safe journey down there.

Even living in most parts of London it's a nightmare to get to Twickenham..... I boycotted it years ago after a particularly bad journey 

If Husker Du had reformed (which won’t happen because Grant Hart sadly passed away last year) frankly - anywhere from Artic to Mongolia. Not sure there’s any band I like enough currently to go very far for (mind you I live in London). 

Well, he made it!

Received a text from his wife at about 10:45 last night to say he'd arrived in one piece followed by another text from the intrepid cyclist himself saying he was enjoying the food and beer provided by his daughter.

He set off from Hull around half five yesterday morning so by my reckoning it took him around 17 hours. That equates to around 12mph average if he didn't bother stopping for long.

Not bad going.

11 hours ago, JohnM said:

Exceptionallyl well done.

To see my favourite band(s) I'd have to travel over 50 years back in time to when Kenton, Basie and Ellington were in their prime.

I'll see you and raise you Bessie Smith er ...maybe I'm not just a stereotypical TGG fan after all! Well I never!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

If it was about saving money, an off-peak return, Hull to London and back is £113, and a single, London to Hull is £56.50 according to Trainline.

In answer to OP, when I was living in London I made the trip to the Manchester Apollo to see Blondie, admittedly I did combine it with a trip to see my Mother as well.

On 20/06/2019 at 06:43, Old Frightful said:

Well, he made it!

Received a text from his wife at about 10:45 last night to say he'd arrived in one piece followed by another text from the intrepid cyclist himself saying he was enjoying the food and beer provided by his daughter.

He set off from Hull around half five yesterday morning so by my reckoning it took him around 17 hours. That equates to around 12mph average if he didn't bother stopping for long.

Not bad going.

Seventeen hours will be about right, mate. Did the first 100 miles in about 7 hours so naively expected to complete the whole thing in around 14-15 hours. Thing is, I've ridden the roads down to Hubbert's Bridge several times so I didn't have to stop to check the route. Once I was in the fenlands things started to go a little pear shaped. I was following a route I'd downloaded to my phone and it ended up being a useless bag of poo. At one point I ended up down some bog of a track that clogged my wheels up so badly I had to carry the bike. After that I decided to ditch the route and give Google Maps a go which was almost as bad. It sent me down the next to useless National Cycle Route 12. I binned that off too and just decided to make it up as I went along, keeping strictly to tarmac. Should have done what I did when I last rode from Hull to London many years ago and used a paper map and a route scribbled on a piece of paper.

Anyway it was a great adventure, I somehow dodged the torrential downpours along the way, I felt elated when I got there and Metallica were superb.

Thanks for the shout out on the radio by the way. We all thought that was really thoughtful.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Nee bovva mate, Leona Graham sounded well impressed! 

8 hours ago, JohnM said:

Hubberts Bridge. Get caught at the level crossing?  Called in at the Wheafsheaf for a snifter? I think we should be told. 

Didn't get caught but the various pubs along the route became an increasingly tempting prospect.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

59 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Debbie Harry is your mother!? ?

When Blondie hit the big time in the UK with Heart of Glass & Sunday Girl, I was 15/16 years old, and when someone at school told me Debbie Harry was 32!! we were shocked, she was SO OLD! 

So, technically, yes, old enough to be my mother!

Archived