20 Jun: SL: London Broncos v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• London Broncos
    • Hull Kingston Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/06/19 at 18:45

That was such an entertaining, thrilling game. I couldn't dare watch the last 2 minutes, wanting a broncos win. It was a 12 round boxing bout towards the end, both teams just threw everything at each other.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The game's still trending top 10 in the UK on Twitter.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, MZH said:

You have to love Eddie Battye. He looks like the least likely candidate to be an elite RL player, but boy is he game.

Not just game but also really skilful and intelligent for a prop. He’s from a farming background in Sheffield would you believe 

19 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Really entertaining game. For two sides at the bottom of the league, they provided a game of good quality.

London have got scarce resources and are showing that teamwork and effort really does get you somewhere. Let's not forget this is a largely the same side that widely were tipped not to make the middle 8's last year.

If they stay up, no question that Ward is coach of the year.

If they don't, whatever happens between now and the end of the season, they have by far exceeded expectations and can be really proud. In some ways, that makes them more dangerous.

Only negative, it's a shame that we will lose a side from Super League this year that add a lot to the competition.

Totally agree, that was a good quality and entertaining game for bottom of the league. Neither side deserves to go down. I’ve always thought Hull KR are most vulnerable and likely to finish bottom out of all, as London have the knack of picking up wins and I expect Leeds will sign a top half to finish the season off with a few wins. I would be happy if Toronto and Toulouse joined and we became 14 though 

1 minute ago, dealwithit said:

How many competition points does a team need to avoid relegation. I’ve heard 14, 16 and 18 respectively. 

More than one other club.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Not just game but also really skilful and intelligent for a prop. He’s from a farming background in Sheffield would you believe 

Yes he is. It was nice work from him to lay on what proved to be the winning try. I heard him on talksport early in the season and he came across really well.

But what I really like about him is the determination. He isn't all that big and powerful, and he often takes a bit of punishment, but he just keep coming and coming and fights for every yard. I love watching players like that who get the most out of every last drop of talent they have through sheer guts and hard work.

1 minute ago, MZH said:

Yes he is. It was nice work from him to lay on what proved to be the winning try. I heard him on talksport early in the season and he came across really well.

But what I really like about him is the determination. He isn't all that big and powerful, and he often takes a bit of punishment, but he just keep coming and coming and fights for every yard. I love watching players like that who get the most out of every last drop of talent they have through sheer guts and hard work.

Massively, I didn’t think he was good enough for SL a couple of years back but he’s probably in the top 15 props in the comp. His work rate and leadership is outstanding. Leeds could really do with someone like him!

Well done Broncos, even when they went behind you felt they never doubted that they would win, they just seem to find a way to do so. I thought  Rovers performed better than their games I have seen this season and will improve further under Smith, but he has a job on his hands with that group of players, that maybe why he hasn't taken the job long term a case of 'Hi, remember me, I'm available'.

To be expected given it's a Thurday night game but to see a attendance given as 1500 for such a good, important game was really depressing.

Just now, DoubleD said:

Leeds could really do with someone like him!

Eh? Merrin is tearing it up according to Scotchy.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Abdull was hugely impressive in this game, which is ironic because he could’ve just ensured he is playing in the Championship next year on the back of it but Walker also was massive for London. Completely overshadowed his opposite number. He really has the potential to be a top SL full back, possibly even international standard 

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Massively, I didn’t think he was good enough for SL a couple of years back but he’s probably in the top 15 props in the comp. His work rate and leadership is outstanding. Leeds could really do with someone like him!

It's what he brings to the players around him aswell. It doesn't even really matter how effective he is being, when other players see a teammate throwing themselves into every collision like that it is infectious. I just think he embodies everything that is good about this London team.

3 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Eh? Merrin is tearing it up according to Scotchy.

To be fair, Merrin has done well, after the first half a dozen games where he was relatively poor. But he often tries too hard and does too much on his own. When you have props like Albert and Peteru around you, that is understandable. Ava looks to be coming good though, so hopefully he’ll solve a bit of that problem 

Enjoyed that game some big hits from both sides also both sides playing some expansive attacking rugby league, London's chase and regrouping in defense when HKR  made that break in the last couple of minutes was amazing. Real team effort from London really like the way they are playing. 

Just looking back at the replay of that Ben Crooks breakaway and I’m struggling to understand why he passed? He was 4-5 metres ahead of Williams, who didn’t seem to be gaining at any rate, with 20 metres to go. He should’ve just backed himself. A huge moment in the game

Even though their results are impacting my own team's chances of staying up, you can't help but admire this London team.

From being a team that many fancied would struggle in the championship last year, winning promotion at everyone's sudden favourite non heartland team to gain promotion, to being tipped by many to not even win a game this season, to not only giving themselves a chance of avoiding the drop but to actually make a bit of a push for a play off place is ridiculous!

They may still go down, but they will go down with a hell a lot of respect and admiration from a lot of other fans.

Danny Ward must surely be nailed on for coach of the year, even if they do go down, simply because of the above.

Massive respect to them and their fans.

2 minutes ago, meast said:

you can't help but admire this London team.

Particularly their attitude; never give up, never give in, keep trying to the last whistle - Superb ❤️

2 minutes ago, meast said:

Danny Ward must surely be nailed on for coach of the year,

What is amazing is that they are producing something which seems to equate to more than the sum total of their parts. The coach must surely deserve a high degree of credit for this. ??

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

I reckon Adbull will be on the blower to his agent come the morning! 

It's kind of win win for Abdull though. If Hull KR do go down then he will be able to get out of his contract if he wants to, and his performances this year will mean there will be plenty of suitors for him. He might even stay at London.

Well, then...were to begin. That was fun! Lots already been said the I agree with.

What I've really noticed about London these last few weeks is how they look so very different to earlier in the season. They look battle hardened now, like they've played everyone in this league and realised there's nothing to be afraid of. They look tough too, physically and mentally. I loved their response to conceding that unjust try before half-time - from the kick off Butler stormed up field with only one thing on his mind and boy did he crunch the Rovers player (Drinkwater?) who caught the kick. Then Mason put in a good shot, followed almost immediately by Yates (a Steele Retchless-like, tough as a diamond, tackling machine) bending someone in half. It was a team responding to a set back in a manner you really like to see. 

And even though we started the second half slowly no-one panicked. The players just set about their jobs and looked to get themselves back in the game. Those are the things that stand out to me. Really very proud of this team and these players right now. And they should be proud of themselves, too, they've attacked this season in the most impressive way.

Up the Broncos!

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Archived