Elstone criticises Bennett's NRL comments.

Just now, deluded pom? said:

Wayne Bennett has forgotten more about RL than many of us will ever know but to not have heard of TM prior to the Denver Test I find incredulous

I didn’t want him as coach, but since he’s been in post I think he’s going well which is great.

Maybe he was having woman problems at the time ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I didn’t want him as coach, but since he’s been in post I think he’s going well which is great.

Maybe he was having woman problems at the time ?

For a man that has used honour and principle to define himself on many occasions he has come up wanting more than a few times, I do not care what his Coaching record says, I do not rate him on principles that matter to me.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

6 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

If true I find that basically confirms to me that Bennett would select a full England squad from the NRL, if there were enough playing there, regardless of any player in SL.

IMO, the NRL is like the premiership at football, SL is like the Championship, in other words a division lower. 

Most of the international players will therefore come from teams playing at the highest level week in, week out. There are probably some players in the Championship that could do a decent job for England at football, but as the England coach, surely the first place you look is the top division? Then if you are unable to fill the position with someone from the premiership you look at the next best option.

This scenario is no different. 

38 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

IMO, the NRL is like the premiership at football, SL is like the Championship, in other words a division lower. 

Most of the international players will therefore come from teams playing at the highest level week in, week out. There are probably some players in the Championship that could do a decent job for England at football, but as the England coach, surely the first place you look is the top division? Then if you are unable to fill the position with someone from the premiership you look at the next best option.

Rubbish. How many Championship footballers would not be looking to play in the EPL, a league in the same country? How many SL players are looking to uproot their family and travel half way around the world to play? Some will, most won’t. SL players don’t suddenly become Supermen once they step off the ‘plane in Sydney.

rldfsignature.jpg

36 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Rubbish. How many Championship footballers would not be looking to play in the EPL, a league in the same country? How many SL players are looking to uproot their family and travel half way around the world to play? Some will, most won’t. SL players don’t suddenly become Supermen once they step off the ‘plane in Sydney.

That’s not the point I am making. I’m simply saying that as the national team manager, the first place you will look for players is the top division/best standard.

To put it another way, Wakefield and Toronto have probably spent about the same money on players, which team would you look at first for potential internationals?

13 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

That’s not the point I am making. I’m simply saying that as the national team manager, the first place you will look for players is the top division/best standard.

To put it another way, Wakefield and Toronto have probably spent about the same money on players, which team would you look at first for potential internationals?

Again you are comparing two leagues from the same country as opposed to comparing two separate leagues, irrespective of how highly you rate them.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

understand your point but I think the analogy is flawed.

Players like Sean O'loughlin and James Roby have played out their careers in the UK turning down offers from the NRL to stay. The reasons for this are clearly personal and not rugby related.  I would be very surprised if many Championship footballers would turn down a move the Premiership when it is played in the same country.

Of course the NRL will be a rich seam for the national team but not every position/player will be sourced from the NRL.

I know Scotchy argued that the 11 NRL based players are the best 11 English players from the Super League but I don't know many others who rate Sutton higher than the likes of Watts, Walmsley and Thompson.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

understand your point but I think the analogy is flawed.

Players like Sean O'loughlin and James Roby have played out their careers in the UK turning down offers from the NRL to stay. The reasons for this are clearly personal and not rugby related.  I would be very surprised if many Championship footballers would turn down a move the Premiership when it is played in the same country.

Of course the NRL will be a rich seam for the national team but not every position/player will be sourced from the NRL.

I know Scotchy argued that the 11 NRL based players are the best 11 English players from the Super League but I don't know many others who rate Sutton higher than the likes of Watts, Walmsley and Thompson.

Fair point mate, I get what you are saying, but I personally, would look in the nrl then pick from SL. I totally agree with you on Sutton. I always felt the same about Hodgson, I felt we had 3 hookers in the sl better than him, but I could understand the logic of his call up.

Archived