Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mumby Magic

1895 Cup. One Season Only

Recommended Posts

Or 2 at best. A rugby league snap decision to try and fill Wembley, if heaven forbid a lesser supported team or Foreign team gets there. This will go on the pile with Exiles, Challenge Plate circa 1996/7 and many other ideas. I was all for it but if Mr Wembley, John Kear only plays 2 first teamers in a MIDWEEK game to prioritise the League with a potential Wembley visit what does that tell you?


Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the idea was a good one.

The fact that the game is going to take place after the main event seems to have put a dampener on it.

However if the right teams get there,I still believe it will add an extra 5-10,000 onto the attendance.

Of the numerous suggestions on this board to increase the Final crowd,I have seen none to better this one.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with other comments, good idea if they stick with it but it should be before the challenge Cup final. If Hull get to the final I probably won't stick around for the 1895 Cup final but I would go early and watch it if it was before. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bamfordsbeans said:

I thought the idea was a good one.

The fact that the game is going to take place after the main event seems to have put a dampener on it.

However if the right teams get there,I still believe it will add an extra 5-10,000 onto the attendance.

Of the numerous suggestions on this board to increase the Final crowd,I have seen none to better this one.

How about better marketing and more affordable tickets?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Or 2 at best. A rugby league snap decision to try and fill Wembley, if heaven forbid a lesser supported team or Foreign team gets there. This will go on the pile with Exiles, Challenge Plate circa 1996/7 and many other ideas. I was all for it but if Mr Wembley, John Kear only plays 2 first teamers in a MIDWEEK game to prioritise the League with a potential Wembley visit what does that tell you?

The BBC pays more generous expenses than Bradford?


- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the idea was good but the execution has been poor. Putting the final on after the Challenge Cup final, and not before, is just idiotic.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet many a fans lifetime ambition of watching their club at Wembley may be realized. Any club not taking it seriously has been to Wembley/CCFinal recently eg Bradford, has a chance of the big one eg Fax or has no respect for its fans. If this could snare Leigh v Widnes you may get 12000+ for this game alone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Damien said:

I thought the idea was good but the execution has been poor. Putting the final on after the Challenge Cup final, and not before, is just idiotic.

Agreed entirely, though while it is idiotic I gather the RFL wanted it to be before the CC final but Wembley said no so it’s not their fault. Other than that though it’s a great idea, just a shame they couldn’t put up even £10k prize money - after all there will be at least some extra ticket sales for the final off the back of this competition, even if it’s Sheffield v Donny final. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eddie said:

Agreed entirely, though while it is idiotic I gather the RFL wanted it to be before the CC final but Wembley said no so it’s not their fault. Other than that though it’s a great idea, just a shame they couldn’t put up even £10k prize money - after all there will be at least some extra ticket sales for the final off the back of this competition, even if it’s Sheffield v Donny final. 

I have only seen a couple of fans on message boards say that about Wembley but it just doesn't stack up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Personally I think the Challenge Cup should move to 4 pools with 5 teams in each. The 1895 cup should be retained but only for those not in the Challenge Cup.

Yes. The 20 (or so) who get to this round go into a league. Possibly the SL clubs seeded.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this was a idea to help improve the crowd at Wembley it was a stupid one, for whatever reason KO Cup competitions just don't seem to float anyone's boat anymore, which is a great pity because Cup games always used to be a special event in the season and invariably produce the best crowds too. Further to that it wasn't just the Challenge Cup, you had the County cup, the John Player Trophy, the Floodlight Trophy and for one season the Captian Morgan Trophy plus the end of season Championship.

40 to 50 games a season for a sucessful team of part-time players now crowds won't turn out for a Cup game and we have the usual bull**it about 'duty of care' to professional players in a 'sanitized' game, we that's progress for you😎

Edited by Clogiron
Error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea and could have easily put an other 5+K on the gate - if they had only played it before the CC Final.

One of the easiest decisions they could ever make and they still get it wrong- beggers believe!

It really does make you think - are they just trying to take the Mick out of our great sport and the CC??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why has Wembley refused to schedule the games the opposite way around, it is not as though any more time will be taken up or the pitch will recieve less 'damage', could it be anything to do with the transport links back to the city? I honestly don't have a clue as to why they are being so pedantic over the issue,  anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As per usual a good idea, but badly thought out with midweek games and the failure to think of possible scenarios. The 1895 Cup would be better to start in Pre Season and played if possible on a weekend not midweek. Also there has been no marketing etc. Then the Leigh Clown Degsy getting all wound up about comments made. The Comments are about the timing and the way the whole thing has been organized! Hopefully lessons have been learnt for future, but I doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Why has Wembley refused to schedule the games the opposite way around, it is not as though any more time will be taken up or the pitch will recieve less 'damage', could it be anything to do with the transport links back to the city? I honestly don't have a clue as to why they are being so pedantic over the issue,  anyone?

Wembley doesn't even acknowledge any event taking place on the day let alone hosting two cup finals.

TFL don't have any planned works on the weekend...


- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Agreed entirely, though while it is idiotic I gather the RFL wanted it to be before the CC final but Wembley said no so it’s not their fault. Other than that though it’s a great idea, just a shame they couldn’t put up even £10k prize money - after all there will be at least some extra ticket sales for the final off the back of this competition, even if it’s Sheffield v Donny final. 

They are playing each other in next round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

No prize money and mid week games means clubs haven’t taken it seriously and understandably so. 

i agree but many competitions in their first year get things wrong, as long as they learn and tweak it then i think the competition has legs. if they dont it will go the way of so many RFL ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...