Leeds are my bet to go down

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

If toronto can pay their own way just let them in.  No need to relegate anyone.

I spent most of last year trying to express to you that very point....no one is getting demoted or forced out by anybody....a rising tide lifts all kayaks!

17 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

After tonight's relegation battle between London and KR I would be very worried if I was a Leeds fan 

We could well go down, but unbelievably I think there are 7 clubs that could still be relegated this year, even Salford in 6th place aren’t safe yet. 

I’m expecting Leeds to sign a half back in the next week, who needs to come in and be our saviour. Failing that Kevin Sinfield has better lace up the boots and get back out on the field.

18 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

If toronto can pay their own way just let them in.  No need to relegate anyone.

NO!  They need to be there on merit alone . Same as anyone else. The league will look like a joke if P & R is not done correctly

5 minutes ago, Canis Lupus said:

NO!  They need to be there on merit alone . Same as anyone else. The league will look like a joke if P & R is not done correctly

What are you arguing? Toronto winning the league won't be 'on merit'?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I want a fair up and down , Not an expansion of the top league to benefit teams who have not warranted a position in SL. If it is not the wolfpack to go up as they failed in the play offs so be it. Let the team who wins go up but there needs to be relegation for the integrity of the sport 

London are looking good to stay up I think and Toronto are pretty much nailed on for promotion so just think, this little niche Northern sport will have teams in London, Perpignan and Toronto in the top division. Last time I checked those places weren't in the North of England. 

(yay! 1,000 posts, 1 year and 1 day after I signed up!) 

26 minutes ago, Canis Lupus said:

RL has a long history of changing the rules to suit the situation they require ?

I think it'll come down to whoever can hold their nerve the most. London have momentum at the moment but it can turn quickly. Hull KR looked nervous in that second half when they were being put under pressure and forced to work the ball out off their own line (excellent game management from the Broncos btw). I still think the Tony Smith factor might be enough to keep them safe.

Leeds will probably just be looking for a decent performance from tomorrow night without expecting a result. They still have some decent players but are rudderless. If they take a real beating then their next fixtures against Catalans, Cas, Hull KR and Hull FC are looking quite nasty.

Two fixtures at the end of the season stand out... 1st September - London v Leeds and 8th September - Hull KR v London. Could be a brutal end to the season.

Well if the top 2 Championship teams are promoted into the new 14 team SL ...is that not being promoted due to merit?....of course it is.

1 hour ago, Canis Lupus said:

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

If Leeds finish 12th, they will go down in my view.

I wouldn't then rule out an expansion to 14 for 2021. That would ringfence Toronto and London for a year and as close as you can, guarantees an immediate Leeds return.

Sounds like a sensible option. 

3 hours ago, TheDuke said:

KR are bottom currently and look favourites to slip out of SL, shame as I have a season pass there!

teams need to be there on merit. 1500 at London was poor tonight but they are up there and not bottom on merit 

We need to get our ***** in gear. We've lost 4 games by 2 points or less. 

That's how small the margin is that renders us holding up the league now. 

9 hours ago, Canis Lupus said:

I want a fair up and down , Not an expansion of the top league to benefit teams who have not warranted a position in SL. If it is not the wolfpack to go up as they failed in the play offs so be it. Let the team who wins go up but there needs to be relegation for the integrity of the sport 

Your posts are a self serving moral high ground, that either has no idea of the reality of what Superleague is actually about. or is being disingenuous because it's your club in pole position.

It's about having the best clubs in there in terms of their ability to underpin the SKY TV contract, and their ability to underpin the development of Superleague quality players. Leeds have a good player development system and Leeds are a big draw card for the TV audience. It's many many years since RL here was a pure "sport"..... Superleague is a made for TV product.

You clearly have not looked anything up. Huddersfield came bottom in 1998, 1999 and 2000 and were not relegated, clubs refused promotion included Hunslet and Dewsbury, In 2005 two clubs were relegated, Widnes and Leigh to make way for Les Catalans who were protected from relegation, and yes when Celtic Crusaders just missed promotion in 2008 they went to 14 clubs because Crusaders actually were a club expanding the playing pool in Wales and underpinning the TV deal selling SKY subscriptions in Wales.

The club you want to be promoted promised both these things and delivered neither where is the integrity in that.

Even at the start of Superleague in 1996 they did not look at the league table and draw a line and say "You 12 deserve to go up" they refused entry to clubs in the top 12 and asked others to merge. The whole history of Superleague is not your faux moral high ground of clubs deserving to go up on merit.

And just where is the "merit" of spending the full Superleague cap plus marquee signings and trampling over part time clubs? If your hero has a bottomless wallet let him pay for player development officers and rent local facilities and engage staff to develop players like Leeds do, let him find a TV company to pay big money to share with SL clubs here to show his team on TV, before the drawcard that has been Leeds for 23 years is removed from Superleague to the dismay of many many fans here who do not dream about phoney clubs.

McManus on behalf of Superleague was very clear about the end of the season play off game that is heading to be Toronto.v.Toulouse. He was clear Toulouse would give a major boost to RL in France player and TV wise, but Toronto would do neither, and his bottom line was you cannot change the Superleague rules for the first quarter of the season to suit one club. Especially one club who have reneged on their promises to attract new TV money or new players - again ask yourself where is the integrity in that

15 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

It's about having the best clubs in there in terms of their ability to underpin the SKY TV contract, and their ability to underpin the development of Superleague quality players. Leeds have a good player development system and Leeds are a big draw card for the TV audience. It's many many years since RL here was a pure "sport"..... Superleague is a made for TV product.

You clearly have not looked anything up. Huddersfield came bottom in 1998, 1999 and 2000 and were not relegated, clubs refused promotion included Hunslet and Dewsbury, In 2005 two clubs were relegated, Widnes and Leigh to make way for Les Catalans who were protected from relegation, and yes when Celtic Crusaders just missed promotion in 2008 they went to 14 clubs because Crusaders actually were a club expanding the playing pool in Wales and underpinning the TV deal selling SKY subscriptions in Wales.

The club you want to be promoted promised both these things and delivered neither where is the integrity in that.

Even at the start of Superleague in 1996 they did not look at the league table and draw a line and say "You 12 deserve to go up" they refused entry to clubs in the top 12 and asked others to merge. The whole history of Superleague is not your faux moral high ground of clubs deserving to go up on merit.

And this my friend is why people outside the sport see it as small time. 

Do you think if Liverpool were relegated the premier league would expand to stop it? Or stop Blackpool gaining promotion by changing the rules during/after the season?

The cornerstone of the sport should be that anyone can reach the top and anyone can be relegated. No wonder there is a lack of new investment and new expansion around the UK when small minded men are using it as a play thing.

Archived