SCORE PREDICTIONS V OLDHAM

BlueVintheblood

I think yesterday was just one of those days when nowt went right for the lads on the pitch. Oldham were the better team and deserved to win. You can't expect to win with the completion rate we had, but despite that we almost got back into it but shot ourselves in the foot again.

I know everyone was bigging up the borough park experience last week but I think there is more atmosphere in DP no matter how far from the pitch you are. For me it was ok to experience the alternative but I'll be pleased to get back to DP.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything I felt to close . Just used to being higher up at DP with a more overall view from a bit of a distance . Just what we’re used to but I prefer that and you can see everything unfold perfectly . Just personal preference but DP is home comforts and sooner back there the better 

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If anything I felt to close . Just used to being higher up at DP with a more overall view from a bit of a distance . Just what we’re used to but I prefer that and you can see everything unfold perfectly . Just personal preference but DP is home comforts and sooner back there the better 

have stood at three different spots now on BP over last 2 weeks and still unable to see all of the action for one reason or another, like I can from popular side at DP.

Cant move back soon enough for me (and for the players as well if yesterdays performance was anything to go by)

I was surprised by how good Oldham were; big side yet very mobile with a superior off loading game. I’m not sure how much of a difference Forber would have made. Penky did his best to open them up but got pretty well smashed and I doubt very much Marwood would have prospered under that pressure. It would have taken a very disciplined and composed performance to beat them which we’re not yet capable of. 

Oldham were a handy side but it was far from a hammering. A higher completion rate could have seen us take the points. Numerous times when in good field position was spoiled by trying to throw  the ball around like the Harlem globetrotters early in the tackle  count and it killed us.

39 minutes ago, DocH said:

I was surprised by how good Oldham were; big side yet very mobile with a superior off loading game. I’m not sure how much of a difference Forber would have made. Penky did his best to open them up but got pretty well smashed and I doubt very much Marwood would have prospered under that pressure. It would have taken a very disciplined and composed performance to beat them which we’re not yet capable of. 

We were woeful and they beat us by 10, maybe if forber had played they would have went for goal when we had penalties theres points gained and I'm in no doubt at all we would have been more organised going forward! 

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

54 minutes ago, DocH said:

Whatever your opinion of Buffer he was a huge miss yesterday. Because he is usually ever present his talents are often taken for granted. As for Blain Marwood just when is he going to get a game?We signed him on a months trial and, unless that's been extended, he could be back at Barrow Island before he's had a chance to show what he can do. On what basis do you think that he would have been over-faced by Oldham? From what I have been told by those who have actually seen him play he is quick, skillful and tough as teak and the amateurs don't play touch rugby.  Yesterday we moved Penky from his natural position at 9 to half-back where he was effectively neutralised by a side that knew all about him. I believe our coach made errors of team selection and interchange decisions and if Carl is absent again next week and Blain is still available then he has to play him. 

17 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Because of the plethora of pens awarded to Oldham first half , and our total dis-respect for playing our sets out , we probably had a completion rate of 20-30% in the first 40mins , which meant we spent at least 70% of the time tackling , thats why we were dead on our feet late on , but i still ask the question , no matter who is Coach , we still turn down penalties at goal , let`s face it we had 5 pens in front of the posts in their 20metre area , and ran them all .

Totally agree and as bad as we were there was still only 10 points in it and those kicks were all within Jamies capability.

2 very tough away games coming up and it looks like just when we thought the injury problems were over we now have other key players out for the next Month.

1 hour ago, DocH said:

He got smashed mainly due to terrible telegraphed passes from Doran, several hospital passes with the defence in Penkys face. How he got MOTM is beyond me.

43 minutes ago, dkw said:

He got smashed mainly due to terrible telegraphed passes from Doran, several hospital passes with the defence in Penkys face. How he got MOTM is beyond me.

To be fair, I think Jamie tries too hard at times, having said that a lot of our pass selection was atrocious (and not only from Jamie).

But if your middles are on back foot your halves will struggle and that is what we saw,

When Ollie goes off and Fui to some degree we look very vulnerable in the middles,  Hopkins doesn't look anywhere near the player he was a few years ago and we really missed Danny for his organisation and cover in the middle

1 hour ago, Cumberland Sausage said:

Totally agree and as bad as we were there was still only 10 points in it and those kicks were all within Jamies capability.

2 very tough away games coming up and it looks like just when we thought the injury problems were over we now have other key players out for the next Month.

Don't disagree with the principle but of course you can''t kick differential penalties 

Penky started great , really buzzing . But obviously they knew to shut him down and they did . If they weren’t offside they were up incredibly fast . They seemed in our faces in a flash . Penky started to over play and try to much , skipping laterally and pushing passes , and him and Doran just never gelled at all . We got progressively worse and less likely as it went on . So much grunt which they shut down easy and poor execution and options . With our error rate I don’t know why we don’t take points on  offer, but we rarely do .dont know who makes those calls but our game management generally is average at times. Deano was standing in front of us so disappointing not to see more of his lad , I hear he can handle himself fine . Penky had to go 9 to give us more round the ruck- first receiver he was an open target 

1 hour ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Whatever your opinion of Buffer he was a huge miss yesterday. .......and if Carl is absent again next week and Blain is still available then he has to play him. 

I actually think he is having a great season but still doubt he would have made enough difference to influence the result and by all means lets see how Marwood fares (assuming you mean at at 7 with penky back at 9 where he belongs) as not much to lose now.

1 hour ago, DocH said:

I actually think he is having a great season but still doubt he would have made enough difference to influence the result and by all means lets see how Marwood fares (assuming you mean at at 7 with penky back at 9 where he belongs) as not much to lose now.

I think the joint change of having Carl available and being able to use Penky in his natural position may have got us a result despite our performance. There were times when penky just looked out of sync at scrum half hence a lot of forced passes and almost getting in the way of support runners. Not knocking him because it  can’t be easy trying to slot into a pivotal position he won’t have played for a long time. You then lose his sniping around dummy half which I think is really crucial in getting our forwards on the front foot. When you look at the game we were awful, losing the ball on 1st or 2nd tackle at least 7 times in the 20, but if Fieldhouse hadn’t had a complete brainstorm and just took the tackle, given the broken nature of oldhams defence I think a quick play the ball would have resulted in a score and the lead. It didn’t happen and I think missed opportunities like that will mean this season will end disappointedly. At the end of the day until we play to a consistent level week in week out we will get what we deserve. UTT

41 minutes ago, IanMac said:

I think the joint change of having Carl available and being able to use Penky in his natural position may have got us a result despite our performance. There were times when penky just looked out of sync at scrum half hence a lot of forced passes and almost getting in the way of support runners. Not knocking him because it  can’t be easy trying to slot into a pivotal position he won’t have played for a long time. You then lose his sniping around dummy half which I think is really crucial in getting our forwards on the front foot. When you look at the game we were awful, losing the ball on 1st or 2nd tackle at least 7 times in the 20, but if Fieldhouse hadn’t had a complete brainstorm and just took the tackle, given the broken nature of oldhams defence I think a quick play the ball would have resulted in a score and the lead. It didn’t happen and I think missed opportunities like that will mean this season will end disappointedly. At the end of the day until we play to a consistent level week in week out we will get what we deserve. UTT

Thats the biggest thing we lost, teams cant cope with how he reacts to quicker play the balls, his first move is always forward which sets the defence, then he has an option of running into a space or setting a player at the defence. Often defenses have no idea how to cope with it, its why I cant understand why we didnt bring Marwood on much early and put Penky back to hooker.

Oldham at home seems to be our annual nightmare . Yesterday 5 men missing , worse performance of the season , last year half the team missing lost heavily ,last season under Veivers in a must win game , a few out and good old Phil moved Sammutt to full back , another loss , let`s hope they gain promotion ! 

8 hours ago, Onreport said:

have stood at three different spots now on BP over last 2 weeks and still unable to see all of the action for one reason or another, like I can from popular side at DP.

Cant move back soon enough for me (and for the players as well if yesterdays performance was anything to go by)

On the flip side,2 good attendances,would we have got the same crowds at derwent park? 

20 hours ago, Hate the rec said:

Any reason why Ralph Rimmer was at todays match?? 

He was at Haven first half, he was just having a word with The Refs make sure we both lost.

Mind you last time he was at Haven we were trying to build a stadium, and we all know what happened, let’s hope you have more luck.

HW

30 minutes ago, Route66 said:

On the flip side,2 good attendances,would we have got the same crowds at derwent park? 

Not much consolation for a result that dumps us back down the pecking order which with better coaching decisions could have been a win. How many of those that boosted the gate will be back after such a poor performance?  Then there is the question of how the revenues will be aportioned --- presumably the Reds will have the catering and bar takings and the wages of the "stewards" who clearly had no idea of the passion generated at Rugby League matches and intervened accordingly. Hopefully the new pasture at DP will stand up to the remaining fixtures and after initially warming to the switch of venue I can't wait to get back "home".  

6 minutes ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Not much consolation for a result that dumps us back down the pecking order which with better coaching decisions could have been a win. How many of those that boosted the gate will be back after such a poor performance?  Then there is the question of how the revenues will be aportioned --- presumably the Reds will have the catering and bar takings and the wages of the "stewards" who clearly had no idea of the passion generated at Rugby League matches and intervened accordingly. Hopefully the new pasture at DP will stand up to the remaining fixtures and after initially warming to the switch of venue I can't wait to get back "home".  

Aye it was ok but I'll be glad also, listening to the tannoy was listening to the captain of an aeroplane ? 

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

17 minutes ago, Seaton Sandy said:

But turn a blind eye to everyone smoking!

Archived