SCORE PREDICTIONS V OLDHAM

BlueVintheblood

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Whatever your opinion of Buffer he was a huge miss yesterday. Because he is usually ever present his talents are often taken for granted. As for Blain Marwood just when is he going to get a game?We signed him on a months trial and, unless that's been extended, he could be back at Barrow Island before he's had a chance to show what he can do. On what basis do you think that he would have been over-faced by Oldham? From what I have been told by those who have actually seen him play he is quick, skillful and tough as teak and the amateurs don't play touch rugby.  Yesterday we moved Penky from his natural position at 9 to half-back where he was effectively neutralised by a side that knew all about him. I believe our coach made errors of team selection and interchange decisions and if Carl is absent again next week and Blain is still available then he has to play him. 

We weren't fluent yesterday but there's been plenty of games that Carl's played and we've been patchy in attack in those games too and it seems we just can't get going against the better opposition. 

I think we over played early in the tackle count yesterday and completion was poor. On Marwood it's also a big step up from Barrow Island level to playing Oldham as opposed to a little cameo v West Wales and the coach sees him in training and will know if he's ready.

Also a big ask to expect him to come on and change the game. 

Although we played below bar the key moment was the Fieldhouse break, back to 1 at 16-20 well into Oldhams half. If we had just kept some pressure on there we could have turned it round. 

I've seen posts saying season's over if we don't win next 2 but that will leave 4 at home Haven & Hunslet away and teams are picking each other off every week so there is loads to play for as positions 2-6 play off. 

17 minutes ago, BlueVintheblood said:

We weren't fluent yesterday but there's been plenty of games that Carl's played and we've been patchy in attack in those games too and it seems we just can't get going against the better opposition. 

I think we over played early in the tackle count yesterday and completion was poor. On Marwood it's also a big step up from Barrow Island level to playing Oldham as opposed to a little cameo v West Wales and the coach sees him in training and will know if he's ready.

Also a big ask to expect him to come on and change the game. 

Although we played below bar the key moment was the Fieldhouse break, back to 1 at 16-20 well into Oldhams half. If we had just kept some pressure on there we could have turned it round. 

I've seen posts saying season's over if we don't win next 2 but that will leave 4 at home Haven & Hunslet away and teams are picking each other off every week so there is loads to play for as positions 2-6 play off. 

" Weren't fluent " must be the biggest understatement of all time! Headless chickens is a much more accurate assessment. Buffers absence meant that we effectively played without a recognised scrum half when we had a viable option cooling his heels on the subs bench. If young Marwood isn't able to take his chance against Oldham then what was the point in bringing him in on trial? His old feller was at the match to support his son and he must have been bitterly disappointed at the minimal involvement Blain was afforded. Deano is a Town legend and wouldn't be pushing his lad if he didn't think he could hack it. His other son Brad is on Barrows books and can apparently hold his own in a league above us so why shouldn't Blain be up to the test??  As much as I am an ardent admirer of Carl Forber I would happily see  Marwood take the shirt at Newcastle and play so well that Buffer might be looking over his shoulder at a young pretender. Either way I will be making the pilgrimage to Kingston Park - more in hope than expectation.    

13 hours ago, The Voodooguru said:

I think yesterday was just one of those days when nowt went right for the lads on the pitch. Oldham were the better team and deserved to win. You can't expect to win with the completion rate we had, but despite that we almost got back into it but shot ourselves in the foot again.

I know everyone was bigging up the borough park experience last week but I think there is more atmosphere in DP no matter how far from the pitch you are. For me it was ok to experience the alternative but I'll be pleased to get back to DP.

That's what I thought as well I was looking forward to us playing at BP but didn't enjoy it and it wasn't anything to do with result. You get used to standing in the same place at DP but I didn't know where to stand yesterdsy I'm sure others felt the same that's why it was quiet the usual popular side crew were scattered around the ground. It's a pity there is seating in the popular side it would have been a good atmosphere if everyone was in there. I wouldn't be surprised if we play our next game there. 

12 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

........ His other son Brad is on Barrows books and can apparently hold his own in a league above us so why shouldn't Blain be up to the test??  ....

I very much agree that he should have had more game time. Especially when things weren't going our way in the slightest. However, just because his brother makes the cut doesn't necessarily mean he will. Remember a certain Fifita??

Id play him from the off on Sunday though, if Buffer is still missing? Drop Dec back to the bench to spell penky off.

15 minutes ago, townie88 said:

I very much agree that he should have had more game time. Especially when things weren't going our way in the slightest. However, just because his brother makes the cut doesn't necessarily mean he will. Remember a certain Fifita??

Id play him from the off on Sunday though, if Buffer is still missing? Drop Dec back to the bench to spell penky off.

Not a valid comparison. Marwood arrived fully fit and raring to go, he didn't limp into the club with an injury that seriously affected his chance of playing. Latu apparently was a very useful player - but not on one leg..... 

22 minutes ago, dkw said:

You cant just say we should play someone because there brother is good ha ha, weve been caught out with that in the past. 

Nobody is saying "play him because his brother is good" Don't recall the "ha ha" bit either. We took him on trial because of his performances at Barrow Island where he has been a stand-out player for a while now, so nowt to do with his older brother. As anybody who suffered the Fifita saga knows he was signed because of his proven ability in the NRL, not because brother David was good. The fact that he arrived on one leg was the killer......... 

21 minutes ago, gillmeister said:

Joe Faimalo says hello

The wrong Duffy also ha ha....

SS, as ever you took it all wrong. It was a joke on us signing the poorer brother several times over the years, but hey, you carry on being outraged and upset at everything.

8 minutes ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Nobody is saying "play him because his brother is good" Don't recall the "ha ha" bit either. We took him on trial because of his performances at Barrow Island where he has been a stand-out player for a while now, so nowt to do with his older brother. As anybody who suffered the Fifita saga knows he was signed because of his proven ability in the NRL, not because brother David was good. The fact that he arrived on one leg was the killer......... 

2 weeks away got off the plane with a limp, and milked town for all they were worth 

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

The wrong Duffy also ha ha....

SS, as ever you took it all wrong. It was a joke on us signing the poorer brother several times over the years, but hey, you carry on being outraged and upset at everything.

Coming off the back of a thread referencing the Fifita brothers your oblique reference to the Duffy duo is obscure at best. It would take more than a banal post from you to trouble my composure.     What's with the "ha ha" craic - - - - you on helium?? ?

5 hours ago, townie88 said:

Yeah, good idea, drop last Sunday's top tackler to the bench!?

9 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Not a valid comparison. Marwood arrived fully fit and raring to go, he didn't limp into the club with an injury that seriously affected his chance of playing. Latu apparently was a very useful player - but not on one leg..... 

As much a comparison af comparing both marwood brothers? Just because pez's brother plays for Leeds doesnt mean pez has the same ability? Just pointing out that you he should be judged on his abilities in training not what his brother can cope with?

28 minutes ago, Town utd said:

Let's be honest,Dec tries hard in defence,but in attack offers very little compared to penky,think for starters town need to get penky back into 9 and boss the game,

You will struggle to compare anyone to Penky in this league imo. Think you are being harsh on Dec though, his passing is usually bang on for a start with very few around the head or knees out of either hand.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

8 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Fifita had no proven ability in the NRL,he was a NSW cup player.

3 hours ago, townie88 said:

So youd play penky at half back again after that showing? Or off the bench??? ?

I didn't say that! Anyway, I'm not the coach, & neither are you (thank God!)

Penky must play 9 , he’s our best player the hub of everything in that spot , making everything else tick and providing the spark there no one else comes close to . He’s that important there to us everyone else must fit around that

It might make sense to play the steady Declan from the off, Penky to come on last 20 of both halves when opposition are tiring a bit? With Marwood it will depend on Forbers availability otherwise be interesting to see how he fares in that role.

19 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Fifita had no proven ability in the NRL,he was a NSW cup player.

Played in Queensland cup comp, drafted in for a few games for cowboys around origin when both their front rowers were on qeensland duty, dissapeared off the scene shortly afterwards then turned up at north Sydney bears, was missing for half a season and we bought him. I said on here at the time it was a gamble as he was carrying injury but got shot down, had obvious ability but clearly past his best

8 hours ago, DocH said:

It might make sense to play the steady Declan from the off, Penky to come on last 20 of both halves when opposition are tiring a bit? With Marwood it will depend on Forbers availability otherwise be interesting to see how he fares in that role.

I've wondered if that would work, the worry is you go behind in that first 20 and find it hard to catch back up. I suppose the opposite is start with penky to try and blow teams away early which we try and do, bit rarely succeed lately. 

Archived