Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Barrow Sunday 23rd June 2019

Six league wins on the bounce have seen us move up from eighth place, clinging onto the coat tails of the top 5 contenders in 8th place, to sitting proudly in third right now.

But there's another potential landmark in sight this weekend; if we beat Barrow, and Toronto beat injury-hit Toulouse in Canada, we will go second on points difference. It's only a few weeks ago that Toulouse already looked home and dry for 2nd place behind Toronto.

Ryan Carr will be warning the players for sure that there can be no slip-ups or complacency this weekend; he will be pointing out that Barrow beat Halifax last week and made life tough for us in the second half at their place earlier this season. And he'll remind them about the Dewsbury game, and that you can't afford to let your standards slip at all in this league.

We will still be strong favourites though, and should be able to pick from a settled squad once again - what a difference to earlier in the season. Ferguson has gone back to Huddersfield, but Davies presumably is ready to come back in.

It will be interesting to see if Calum Turner gets a game this weekend, but either way Ryan Carr's biggest problem will again be who to leave out.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Barrow coming with 2 new signings this week: Liam Paisley from Wigan (been playing at Swinton, scored a hat trick against Toulouse last week) and Ben White on loan from 'fax.

Apparently Paisley is dealing with an ankle injury which may keep him out this week, and Jarrad Stack, who always seems one of their best players when I have seen Barrow, has headed back to Australia because of a family illness.

57 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Barrow coming with 2 new signings this week: Liam Paisley from Wigan (been playing at Swinton, scored a hat trick against Toulouse last week) and Ben White on loan from 'fax.

White has signed for Barrow, Fax released him. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

26 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Apparently Paisley is dealing with an ankle injury which may keep him out this week, and Jarrad Stack, who always seems one of their best players when I have seen Barrow, has headed back to Australia because of a family illness.

Yes, saw that Stack had had to go home for a while which is a big blow for them.

Squad announced
https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/19-man-squad-announced-for-raiders-visit-Lawh8

Briscoe called up by Leeds, Davies and Teteh also not in the squad.

Calum Turner is in the 19, perhaps he'll get a game on the wing (as he did against Sheffield earlier this season), though Render is the other obvious alternative on the wing. Corey Johnson is in the 19 as well as Maskill, so chances are this is one game where we won't see King for 80 minutes, which is understandable given the huge shifts he has been putting in.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Squad announced
https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/19-man-squad-announced-for-raiders-visit-Lawh8

Calum Turner is in the 19, perhaps he'll get a game on the wing (as he did against Sheffield earlier this season), though Render is the other obvious alternative on the wing. Corey Johnson is in the 19 as well as Maskill, so chances are this is one game where we won't see King for 80 minutes, which is understandable given the huge shifts he has been putting in.

It did cross my mind that King might be rested for this game with 3 big games coming up against fax, Leigh and WP after the Barrow game.

So the team might look like:

Golding

Turner Sutcliffe Hardcastle Carey

Holmes Chisholm

Wheeldon Maskill Makatoa Day Walters Lockwood

Bench

Johnson Cooper Harrison Ormondroyd 

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Squad announced

not according to whinos web site 

Leeds Rhinos hooker Matt Parcell returns to the 19 man squad for this Friday’s trip to St Helens 

The squad in full is:

1 Jack Walker 
2 Tom Briscoe 
3 Kallum Watkins 
4 Konrad Hurrell 
5 Ash Handley 
7 Richie Myler
8 Adam Cuthbertson
9 Matt Parcell 
10 Brad Singleton 
11 Trent Merrin
14 Brad Dwyer 
15 Liam Sutcliffe 
16 Brett Ferres 
19 Mikolaj Oledzki 
22 Cameron Smith
25 James Donaldson 
29 Harry Newman 
36 Wellington Albert
38 Ava Seumanufagai

so whats going on is any ones guess?❓

14 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Ash Handley could barely walk let alone run in the closing stages of Leeds' game last week. No surprise if he failed a fitness test yesterday and Luke has been called up.

i noticed that  and fully expected Luke to get a call  up  but what i can't understand this squad was posted on the 19th five days after wigan game  just seems silly putting handley  in the squad if there's  a doubt about  his fitness

3 minutes ago, POR said:

i noticed that  and fully expected Luke to get a call  up  but what i can't understand this squad was posted on the 19th five days after wigan game  just seems silly putting handley  in the squad if there's  a doubt about  his fitness

If someone's facing a fitness test afetr the squads are named, it's presumably seen as less controversial if the established player is named and then has to pull out, rather than omitting them when the squad is first announced only for them to be named in the 17 an hour before kick off.

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If someone's facing a fitness test afetr the squads are named, it's presumably seen as less controversial if the established player is named and then has to pull out, rather than omitting them when the squad is first announced only for them to be named in the 17 an hour before kick off.

personally I find that a sad state of affairs  he would have been  monitored all week and they would have known the state of his fitness  before they name the squad  i couldn't  care less  if our squad is named at short notice or to put it another way i would be over the moon if Luke is named in our squad an hour before match on sunday ??

Played like they'd never played together before, but Barrow wanted it much more then us. If they play like that against Leigh Iam dreading the score but hopefully this will be a kick up the backside. 

Worst display since the Dewsbury match. No urgency, poor tackling, no obvious plan of attack. nobody seemed really bothered about the game. An absolutely rubbish display. They should be ashamed.

23 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Worst display since the Dewsbury match. No urgency, poor tackling, no obvious plan of attack. nobody seemed really bothered about the game. An absolutely rubbish display. They should be ashamed.

24 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Oops!!!

Quite frankly the attutude was disgusting

Some of the players believed the hype and thought they had to turn up and it was job done

Instead they came up against a team with little pressure on them who chanced their arm and threw it about a bit and we got what we deserved

I was expecting to see a big following next week vs Fax but people might think twice after that shower today

Archived