Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Barrow Sunday 23rd June 2019

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all- well played to Barrow. They played with more energy in attack and defence. Great off load game and really in our faces defensively. 

Fev seemed to have believed the hype and thought its only Barrow this week so no need to try too hard. And we came unstuck.

need a big performance at fax next week to redeem themselves but tip 2 seems to be less likely on that showing 

Barrow outplayed us in every department backs,halves and forwards and the scorline does not flatter them.As other posters have said we just turned up expecting to win with minimal effort.Forwards didn't move forward while defending and gave Barrow far too much room to PLAY.I expected Carr to tell the players to get into the Barrow players faces in the second half but our forwards didn't and were much too soft.No leadership on the field geeing the players up.And when we did scrape level at 16-16 spurned an easy two points and the ball back.Missing the kick to touch just summed our day up sloppy all round.Why when we were chasing the game did we still play one up rugby with no one backing up the ball carrier.We need to get back to a more expansive higher energy game and next weeks game at Halifax will show if our ambitions of a top 3 spot can be achieved.We played much worse against Barrow than Dewsbury as there is no excuse for lack of effort.

Got to say this was as poor as it gets. Time to stand up and be counted as season defining games to come. Next 3 weeks will tell us all we need to know. Important we don't over dramatise today, it happens ( Saint Vs London) but character and attitude  is the key.  Let's get behind them and wipe this from the memory bank.

To expand on my earlier post of "embarrassing". No species like to see their team lose, but sometimes you have to expect it. IF your team play with passion and enthusiasm you go away satisfied. After a first half of dropped ball on the first tackle , poor defence etc I thought Carrs half time talk would have woken them up. Bur no. they were even worse. I actually thought that when we drew level we would roll on.A gimme 2 points would have given us the lead , so we drop the ball, kick out on the full, and don't even reach touch with a penalty, with dropped balls poor passing, terrible defence and complete lack of commitment. I stopped to the end , but I felt ashamed for Carr and all our brilliant loyal supporters .Halifax next----- I wonder ??

1 hour ago, elppaxr2i said:

Instead they came up against a team with little pressure on 

I think you will find that being next to bottom of the ladder exerts a lot of pressure.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

13 minutes ago, coolie said:

Thank you to Featherstone Rover's for been my only bit of sunshine on a very stormy day,today we became relegation favourites ...so lump ya brass on us lads

Why do we only see you when we are embarrassed. We dont go on the Dewsbury forum every week belittling you???? And weve been beaten by smaller teams than Barrow at home this season?????

5 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Why do we only see you when we are embarrassed. We dont go on the Dewsbury forum every week belittling you????

I come on offering you thank you'd

For cheering me up

What on earth went wrong today

You've been in good form so today's surprise result has turned everything upside down

Wish I'd have put a tenner on a treble of Barrow beating Halifax,Barrow beating you & Swinton beating Toulouse...

Think with the winnings you'd be signing Thurston,Cronk & Smith

Thankfully rugby league is only a game

19 minutes ago, coolie said:

I come on offering you thank you'd

For cheering me up

What on earth went wrong today

You've been in good form so today's surprise result has turned everything upside down

Wish I'd have put a tenner on a treble of Barrow beating Halifax,Barrow beating you & Swinton beating Toulouse...

Think with the winnings you'd be signing Thurston,Cronk & Smith

Thankfully rugby league is only a game

It is only a game Coolie. Its good to banter as well. We'll have to stop training with Leeds thats all. ?????

Tom got hit hard in first 3 or 4 minutes and didn't want to know after that, especially since he was limping from a previous play just before the hit. 

Callum Turner has had a poor game at full back, done himself no favours getting a regular super league spot today. 

Ormondroyd only decent forward today and Hardcastle only decent back. 

Don't believe the hype.

Really poor today. As others have said, it felt like some of our players had started to believe their own hype. I heard someone in the crowd saying before kickoff that they wanted 50 points today. ?

Yes our performance was as bad as it was against Dewsbury, but where Dewsbury were organised well by two outstanding backs in Finn and Sykes, Barrow outclassed us from 1 to 17. They wanted it more, hit us hard in the tackle from the get go and exposed our defence time and again.

The referee had a poor game, but we only have ourselves to blame for that defeat. Too many errors. 

We missed Golding at fullback. I'd love to see us try to sign him on a permanent deal.

I hope Carr tears them a new one in training and we use this as a reality check before getting back on track next week against Fax.

Interesting comments from Barrow coach Paul Crarey on RoversTV, he talks a good game and explains how they planned to play against Fev. We'll have to wait and see if we caught a team with a massive turn around in form, because many of us thought Dewsbury would shoot up the table after beating Fev, but they have been very poor since?

Fair credit to Barrow, but Fev could have lost to anyone yesterday, let's hope they've got it out of their system. 

What did they do to Tom Homes, and why if it went on report wasn't it a penalty?   Certainly during the first 20 they were illegally interfering with the PTB (hands on the ball) and getting away with it.  Initially that's why we were losing the ball in the tackle.  After that the knock on's were inexcusable. Even though we played badly we should have won.  The turning points for me first half were the disallowed try, I saw no obstruction, and the scrum given to Barrow inside their twenty when it was clearly a Barrow hand that punched the ball into touch. Having said that once they got on top we didn't seem to have a clear plan how to dislodge them.  The kick out on the full and the missed touch were basics that every team should get right.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

What did they do to Tom Homes, and why if it went on report wasn't it a penalty?   Certainly during the first 20 they were illegally interfering with the PTB (hands on the ball) and getting away with it.  Initially that's why we were losing the ball in the tackle.  After that the knock on's were inexcusable. Even though we played badly we should have won.  The turning points for me first half were the disallowed try, I saw no obstruction, and the scrum given to Barrow inside their twenty when it was clearly a Barrow hand that punched the ball into touch. Having said that once they got on top we didn't seem to have a clear plan how to dislodge them.  The kick out on the full and the missed touch were basics that every team should get right.

We have been losing the ball in the tackle frequently since the Sheffield game and for me this performance was waiting to happen. Barrow did play very well and Fev gave up the ghost at 22-16. Games are never won on paper and anyone can turn you over at any time if you dont treat teams on an equal par. The effort you put in against the likes of Leigh and Widnes should also be the effort you put in against Barrow. No one has a right to win every game but this result did not reflect the form book which left eveyone at the club scratching their heads.Well done though to Barrow if they apply that to the rest of the season they will be fine. Unfortunately Dewsbury did not carry their good win at Fev to their next games but that probably was due to injuries to key men.

Archived