Podcasts

Which RL podcasts do you lot listen to, if any? I’ve tried a fair few over the last year or so and my top 5 are probably;

Chasing Kangaroos
5 Live
Total RL
By the Balls
The Final Hooter

I also enjoy the Jy and Woods Show and The Full Eighty Minutes - all a decent listen on my daily commute. If there are any more let me know please in case I’ve missed them ?

Bit of a podcast junkie on the commute...

40-20 - they like a moan but you get to know a fair it.

Total RL is pretty good

5 live RL

Matty Johns

NRL boom rookies

By the balls

I listen to some of the others mentioned when I get time - Rugby AM and full 80 mins make me both cringe and laugh out loud at regular intervals! 

Chasing Kangaroos is probably my favourite. I think it's the spiritual successor to LeagueCulture which I miss.

Rugby Reloaded and The Hard Yards are also great.

new rise.jpg

9 hours ago, Pulga said:

Chasing Kangaroos is probably my favourite. I think it's the spiritual successor to LeagueCulture which I miss.

Rugby Reloaded and The Hard Yards are also great.

Thanks Pulga, I’d never heard of Hard Yards, have just found it and downloaded the latest episode. 

On 22/06/2019 at 13:53, Curly perm said:

I listen to some of the others mentioned when I get time - Rugby AM and full 80 mins make me both cringe and laugh out loud at regular intervals! 

Cue a gravelly northern accented Craig Harrison..... "is ee moving to Sall-ford or not?.... am a wrong Mick....am a wrong?" 

3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I'm a bit new to podcasts. Is there a particular app to listen to these on or do you need to go onto the individual websites?

What time of week are they usually uploaded?

I've found Spotify to be a great catch all.

Five Live is usually a Monday. Total RL either Wednesday or Thursday iirc. Forty20 have also started doing one that is both a Youtube show and Podcast and usually comes out Monday. Backchat is now a podcast which I imagine will come out at a similar time to the show so thursdays?

I know its from the Darkside but House of Rugby is generally a really good listen. It captures some of the best aspects of Podcasts that I feel some of the more recent 5 Live RL ones have begun to emulate. A mixture of usual suspects with a variety of guests - stories that aren't just the weekly results etc.

I'd recommend the 3 Ben Ryan (Former England 7s and current Fiji 7s) episodes, although there is also a compilation, to anyone, sport fan or not. Some absolutely fascinating insights into Fiji, the Pacific culture, sacrifices, the Cyclone, also a story about a tournament in Hong Kong that will genuinely shock and will probably anger you too. 

9 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I'm a bit new to podcasts. Is there a particular app to listen to these on or do you need to go onto the individual websites?

I’ve got a Podcasts app on my phone (Apple phone) where you can search and download or subscribe. 

10 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Spotify is free if you have ads and has most of them. The forty 20 one is best in my view and is on YouTube Monday's at 6pm then podcast after

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I know its from the Darkside but House of Rugby is generally a really good listen. It captures some of the best aspects of Podcasts that I feel some of the more recent 5 Live RL ones have begun to emulate. A mixture of usual suspects with a variety of guests - stories that aren't just the weekly results etc.

I'd recommend the 3 Ben Ryan (Former England 7s and current Fiji 7s) episodes, although there is also a compilation, to anyone, sport fan or not. Some absolutely fascinating insights into Fiji, the Pacific culture, sacrifices, the Cyclone, also a story about a tournament in Hong Kong that will genuinely shock and will probably anger you too. 

Totally agree, the Ben Ryan ones were brilliant. Billy Vunipola was good as well. I listen mainly because they’re funny! 

10 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I use Podbean. Most apps will let you know when the podcasts have been updated and you can automatically download them if you want. I’d be lost without them now - I’ve done over 850hrs in prob the last 18mths, which is a bit scary! 

12 hours ago, Chris22 said:

The Five Live podcast with Mark Evans and Shane Richardson is a really good listen this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07f1k8m

I was just about to post pretty much exactly that! Really fascinating listen - this podcast is usually a steady 8/10, but 10/10 for the latest edition.

Love Rugby Reloaded as well - good one on Samoan rugby this week.

12 hours ago, Chris22 said:

The Five Live podcast with Mark Evans and Shane Richardson is a really good listen this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07f1k8m

Generally good listen but found this one a bit rubbish. Bit waffly and dismissive and in some cases inaccurate.  Evans blabbing on about union players and dismissing Richardson quickly when he tried to discuss French RL history.

9 hours ago, Curly perm said:

Totally agree, the Ben Ryan ones were brilliant. Billy Vunipola was good as well. I listen mainly because they’re funny! 

Absolutely! Having been coached by him it's weird but I feel so lucky to have been now having listened to what he's said.

the full eighty is a pretty good one too. good guests and always good to hear form Craig on how things actually happen in the game.

my schedule is listen to 5 live on Monday, Forty20 on Tuesday and full eighty on Friday.

I used to listen to the Jy & Hitchcox show but since they have gone to rugby am I haven't found the podcast and just forgot about it...anyone have a link to it?

the Total RL one isn't bad either and we have  the Howlin'hour on podbean for the Toronto podcast.

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep it's a great listen.... Glad you mentioned it first though ? 

It deserves a special mention as Tindall went to my School and brought up our Westgate Run on the Socials episode. Glad to say 30 years later its still running proud.

13 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

the full eighty is a pretty good one too. good guests and always good to hear form Craig on how things actually happen in the game.

my schedule is listen to 5 live on Monday, Forty20 on Tuesday and full eighty on Friday.

I used to listen to the Jy & Hitchcox show but since they have gone to rugby am I haven't found the podcast and just forgot about it...anyone have a link to it?

the Total RL one isn't bad either and we have  the Howlin'hour on podbean for the Toronto podcast.

It’s Jy and Paul Wood now (not sure what happened but Oli said something negative about Cas and they stopped him doing it I think), it’s on the Podcast app if you have that, search for ‘Rugby AM Pods’. 

Archived