Podcasts

On 25/06/2019 at 18:49, Man of Kent said:

‘Twas a good 5 Live podcast.

Interesting that the Souths CEO and former Storm CEO both think a 10-team maximum for Super League is the way to go. Quality over quantity.

Wonder if Robert Elstone feels the same?

Listened earlier to that, really interesting actually - one thing that stood out to me was "fish where the fish are", regarding marketing to areas that already have a rugby league tradition, and another point about focussing on the teams between manchester and leeds. Lots of interesting points made in general though.

I'd say i sometimes listen to 5 Live, the Full 80 Minutes and have listened to the Forty Twenty one.

A ten team league, while stronger in principle, would be pretty boring I think, watching the same teams play each other all the time. An increase to 14 and getting rid of the wrap around games (27 league games) would be much better. 

24 minutes ago, Eddie said:

A ten team league, while stronger in principle, would be pretty boring I think, watching the same teams play each other all the time. An increase to 14 and getting rid of the wrap around games (27 league games) would be much better. 

Its a double edged sword and can see both sides

Either way playing less games world be great. Keep the season the same length but each team doesn't need to play every week and/or two international breaks

36 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

Listened earlier to that, really interesting actually - one thing that stood out to me was "fish where the fish are"

I found the comments directed towards London not great. We've been out of SL 5 years it will take a while to get them back up.... We had 3000 the other week and expectting Wire to be same or better

Hundreds of kids play in league in London and Hemel/Bedford.... Are we saying this is meaningless.... Also how many southerners watch league on telly but don't necessarily get to the games as Broncos/skolars and the rest is too far away..... No way should RL give up on the South

Everyone on here should be listening to the Total Rugby League podcast ... don't make us have to start looking at making it a compulsory requirement of forum membership! ?

Seriously though, we post a thread on here every week about each new TRL podcast, and no one ever comments on it.

This is either because (a) it's so good no one can think of anything to complain about (hey, I know how forums work) or (b ) no one on here is actually listening to it.

Hopefully not the latter!

We love a bit of feedback here, y'know, so don't be shy. It might even give the TRL panel something to comment on in the next one.

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Everyone on here should be listening to the Total Rugby League podcast ... don't make us have to start looking at making it a compulsory requirement of forum membership! ?

Seriously though, we post a thread on here every week about each new TRL podcast, and no one ever comments on it.

This is either because (a) it's so good no one can think of anything to complain about (hey, I know how forums work) or (b ) no one on here is actually listening to it.

We love a bit of feedback here, y'know, so don't be shy. It might even give the TRL panel something to comment on in the next one.

I listen to it, it’s an interesting podcast and is my staple listen on my Wednesday commute home. There’s a good breadth of coverage (all three divisions), could possibly be enhanced by the odd guest (players, coaches etc) but it’s a good listen nonetheless. 

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I listen most weeks... Will look out for the comments bit! 

On 27/06/2019 at 15:48, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I found the comments directed towards London not great. We've been out of SL 5 years it will take a while to get them back up.... We had 3000 the other week and expectting Wire to be same or better

Hundreds of kids play in league in London and Hemel/Bedford.... Are we saying this is meaningless.... Also how many southerners watch league on telly but don't necessarily get to the games as Broncos/skolars and the rest is too far away..... No way should RL give up on the South

Yeah to be honest i definitely don't agree with giving up on London/the south. I think where I do agree is specifically aiming for fast growth at places where the "fish" are. Maybe look at these places for rapid growth in terms of new teams, and the increased revenue could naturally help clubs like London, and then in turn help grow the game in and around the city, which then theoretically generates more "fish" if that makes sense.

4 hours ago, overtheborder said:

Yeah to be honest i definitely don't agree with giving up on London/the south. I think where I do agree is specifically aiming for fast growth at places where the "fish" are. Maybe look at these places for rapid growth in terms of new teams, and the increased revenue could naturally help clubs like London, and then in turn help grow the game in and around the city, which then theoretically generates more "fish" if that makes sense.

Yep I guess getting everywhere growing is key! 

The latest Total Rugby League podcast is available now.

The Total Rugby League Show returns this week with plenty of transfer talk, match previews, and the Women's Challenge Cup, as well as the game in Australia.

Host Ben Hughes is joined by League Express Editor Martyn Sadler, Rugby League World Editor Matthew Shaw, Rugby League journalist Alex Davis and League Express Assistant Editor Lorraine Marsden.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

The latest Total Rugby League podcast is available now.

The Total Rugby League Show returns this week with plenty of transfer talk, match previews, and the Women's Challenge Cup, as well as the game in Australia.

Host Ben Hughes is joined by League Express Editor Martyn Sadler, Rugby League World Editor Matthew Shaw, Rugby League journalist Alex Davis and League Express Assistant Editor Lorraine Marsden.

Listened to the first half of it on my way home from work this evening ?

If you fast forward through the first 10 minutes of silly news headlines (you may find it funny) then the rest of Full Credit To The Boys is Australia’s best RL podcast. Very funny and well discussed. They also have a high profile guest each week which is my favourite part as well as “The World’s Greatest Podcasting Segment: Grab A Mirror”.

Give it a go.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Found Whippets & Flatcaps insufferable and pretty negative (but not quite TotalRL/FortyTwenty negative). I’m shocked the game has put its name to that venture unless there’s been a large shake up with that. 

More polished than before, especially as there’s a current player guest

It’s worth a listen as it’s a players’ perspective on the game.

29 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The latest 5 Live podcast is very good BTW. James Simpson’s account of having his legs blown off in Afghanistan is quite something.

The 5 live podcast is consistently the best one out there. Dave Woods does a fantastic job with that and always has good interviews 

Archived