Jamie Bloem in League Express

Jamie Bloem will be the latest player interviewed by Richard de la Riviere in our Rugby League Heroes series in Monday's edition of the paper.

While some people might object to the generic title of the series as it applies to Bloem, he has undeniably one of the most interesting personal stories of any Rugby League player.

As Richard writes in his introduction: BORN in Australia and brought up in apartheid-torn South Africa, Jamie Bloem has rarely led an ordinary life.
His twin sister died at the age of six weeks. Living on a military base, his bomb-proof school bus was regularly shot at. His father was killed in action when he was 15.
Bloem was tempted to leave the Western Province rugby union club for Castleford in 1992, before moving on to Oldham and then Doncaster, where he made his name.
He achieved notoriety when he became the first player in British Rugby League to test positive for steroids.
He played for Widnes after his two-year ban and went on to feature for South Africa in the 2000 World Cup.
This is the first of a two-part interview with Jamie.
Next week he discusses his time at Halifax and Huddersfield, his refereeing career and the false allegations of underage sex made against him in 2013, which turned his life upside down.

It's just one of the many things appearing in League Express this Monday.

Will be very interested to read this. He was one of my first sporting heroes when at Doncaster in 93/94 alongside my uncle. He was unstoppable against St Helens in the win at Knowsley Road on the opening day of the 94/95 season, and it broke my heart when he was banned.

6 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Will be very interested to read this. He was one of my first sporting heroes when at Doncaster in 93/94 alongside my uncle. He was unstoppable against St Helens in the win at Knowsley Road on the opening day of the 94/95 season, and it broke my heart when he was banned.

He's a very interesting guy with a fascinating life story.

And he is incredibly open about his mistakes and his personal relationships.

35 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

The whole team was unstoppable on that day in September 94. Saints went on to sign vila matautia on the back on that. 

An often misunderstood person who is a really top person and cares about others. He has made mistakes, like we all have. However he has looked to learn from them. I am proud to know him and like his honesty. Its also good to see him coaching and doing well with Halifax Amateurs, Greetland Allrounders. I thought he was underrated as a player. Always gave 100%.

I remember him playing against town the end of one season, did ok, was ways a decent player. The next season he was about 2 stone heavier, twice as fast and more difficult to tackle than the hulk. Then we found out why. 

Archived