London Broncos have been a disaster off the pitch

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/06/2019 at 10:47, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The OP is spot on. London should be applauded for the players they have brought through their academy system in a non heartlands area, Alex Walker, Rob Butler and Will Lovell to name a few. This is great for the game, for England to be successful we need to produce players in more areas than Leeds, Hull, Wigan and St Helens. 

However off the field the “stadium” is only fit for the Championship at best, sadly if London are to become a year in year out Super League club again they need to move or significantly develop the ground. They are also terrible at marketing, they really need to invest some cash and bring in someone from outside the club with a proven track record to attract locals to their games, this would pay for itself in the long run. 

I've highlighted the bit that IMHO is the most important re the ground. London cannot just increase the capacity and they should not just head off to a new ground on the off chance they are just there for 1 year. It would appear (except the letting people know you are there) that the Broncos are doing it the right way. Be a bit cautious and build slowly. 

IF they are in Super League for a while then they can look at options. Equally by that point RU may have finally pulled their own drawbridge up banishing any hope of Ealing making it for good. At which point Broncos may be in a stronger position re the stadium and having some control over it. 

Right now they dont need to spank money away on going to bigger grounds. They need to work harder on the "marketing" (whatever that covers in this case) to get people to know they are there and to build their presence but a bigger ground is not going to help that.

On 22/06/2019 at 10:26, Mr Frisky said:

QPR, Leyton Orient, Wimbledon, etc etc 

QPR - is a great location quite central but its a small pitch its also quite a cramped stadium for fans and expensive if history tells us anything

Leyton Orient - to be fair its a good stadium but its completely the other side of the city so you may as well just start a new club up there as you will be abandoning anyone on the west side of the city where they have been based for a while now. Yes they dont have a massive "loyal" fan base as such but the decision on this would have to be made of yet again basically starting from scratch.

Wimbledon - owned by Chelsea, Chelsea ladies play there and AFC Wimbeldon.. cant really see them wanting a 3rd tennant. 

On 22/06/2019 at 10:20, nadera78 said:

New forum rule - anyone suggesting the Broncos relocate has to name the stadium they should move to. Should put a stop to that line of conversation.

can i please tweak this, i like what you have done but can we add "realistic" because the same stadiums get trotted out all the time and they are debunked all the time too because they just aren't realistic.

I agree with much of the sentiment in this post. I think there are several basic things the club could do to improve it's organisation (with the help of the RFL/SL)- such as not playing games on the same day as the Skolars! There has been at least two occasions where they've been playing at the exact same time. The one that particularly grated with me was the Greece Vs Norway international at New River.

I spend a lot of time in London but can't go regularly due to work/other commitments, so it's very frustrating when the sport clashes with itself.

Also, clashing with the amateur game doesn't help anyone either.  

On 22/06/2019 at 15:41, EssexRL said:

Maybe expansion is the wrong word - I prefer non heartland. There is a difference because the sport is not established down here. It’s not going to have the same media coverage as it does in Cumbria or be played in local schools for example. 

sadly doesn't get much media coverage in Cumbria either mate, and schools tend to be union biased.

On 22/06/2019 at 15:41, EssexRL said:

Maybe expansion is the wrong word - I prefer non heartland. There is a difference because the sport is not established down here. It’s not going to have the same media coverage as it does in Cumbria or be played in local schools for example. 

Does the organisation (in London), have a development plan?

Are Bronco's and/or Skolars or the London amateur league actively involved in the creation of new school teams or new amateur clubs?

On 21/06/2019 at 23:48, londonbronco said:

Funny.  I'm waiting for Saints, Pies, Cas & Wakey to have their own personal railway systems to be installed before attending too.

Yes - all of those towns are almost identical to London form a logistical point of view ?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

The stadium's a perfect size, access is absolutely fine and it's a good, affordable facility

The crowds are averaging way more than double last year so as good as could be expected for a team that's been bottom all season until now

Marketing could be better (as ever) but absolutely no need to move stadium

The new Wimbledon Stadium might be the ticket.

If they wanted their own place,  there was talk last year that the Crystal Palace National Sports Centre might be up for grabs. It needs work but the site is set up for 15 to 20,000 fans to get there and back to wherever  they need to go

13 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

The new Wimbledon Stadium might be the ticket.

If they wanted their own place,  there was talk last year that the Crystal Palace National Sports Centre might be up for grabs. It needs work but the site is set up for 15 to 20,000 fans to get there and back to wherever  they need to go

So far from West London though. The Broncos are a West London club and need to carry on as a West London club.

Wimbledon's new gaff, location-wise, would be far more acceptable. Whether they want another tenant,  or whether it would be feasible financially, I don't know.

2 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

The stadium's a perfect size, access is absolutely fine and it's a good, affordable facility

The crowds are averaging way more than double last year so as good as could be expected for a team that's been bottom all season until now

Marketing could be better (as ever) but absolutely no need to move stadium

How much of that increase is down to a lot more away supporters though? Has there been a noticeable increase in locals attending?

7 hours ago, RoverBear said:

I think there are several basic things the club could do to improve it's organisation (with the help of the RFL/SL)- such as not playing games on the same day as the Skolars! There has been at least two occasions where they've been playing at the exact same time. The one that particularly grated with me was the Greece Vs Norway international at New River.

Spot on , I am not a Skolars fan but would have turned up for that double-header had it not been played on the same day as a Broncos home game

1 hour ago, Damien said:

How much of that increase is down to a lot more away supporters though? Has there been a noticeable increase in locals attending?

For sure a lot of the increase is away fans but there are returning faces not seen since the last Super League era amongst the Broncos support. As regards "locals" London are Rugby Leagues regional side for the entire South East so you will get fans like me from West Kent that could hardly be described as "local". Indeed when the club went into meltdown in 2013 a disillusioned staffer appeared to have released the season holders list into the public arena in a spectacuar breach of data protection legislation IIRC. What that confirmed is that the support was from all over the region rather than clustered like the heartlands clubs.

Its poses a question for "Marketing" as if your marketing a sport - who are you marketing it to?. Northern exiles,  Aussies and Kiwis on the OE, General "rugby league" fans across the piece or "locals" in Ealing which, with due respect, does not strike me as being fetile territory in the short to medium term.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

2 hours ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

So far from West London though. The Broncos are a West London club and need to carry on as a West London club.

Wimbledon's new gaff, location-wise, would be far more acceptable. Whether they want another tenant,  or whether it would be feasible financially, I don't know.

If I was building a brand new ground then I’d be looking for a tenant, especially one that plays over the Summer months. 

rldfsignature.jpg

7 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

For sure a lot of the increase is away fans but there are returning faces not seen since the last Super League era amongst the Broncos support. As regards "locals" London are Rugby Leagues regional side for the entire South East so you will get fans like me from West Kent that could hardly be described as "local". Indeed when the club went into meltdown in 2013 a disillusioned staffer appeared to have released the season holders list into the public arena in a spectacuar breach of data protection legislation IIRC. What that confirmed is that the support was from all over the region rather than clustered like the heartlands clubs.

Its poses a question for "Marketing" as if your marketing a sport - who are you marketing it to?. Northern exiles,  Aussies and Kiwis on the OE, General "rugby league" fans across the piece or "locals" in Ealing which, with due respect, does not strike me as being fetile territory in the short to medium term.

Sorry by local I meant London fans, not necessarily from the immediate vicinity. Thanks for the info.

6 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Are Bronco's and/or Skolars or the London amateur league actively involved in the creation of new school teams or new amateur clubs?

Yes to that...there was a mini's festival over this weekend, for example. Danny Ward was there I believe. Skolars have links to schools and local college. The thing is though the club, which is semi pro, has the responsibility, with no support, to raise the profile of the sport locally as well as maintain the club.

On a sad note Brixton Bulls have had to fold their women's team due to lack of opposition. Where London is lacking is -

• Women's RL
  • LD RL 

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

Yes to that...there was a mini's festival over this weekend, for example. Danny Ward was there I believe. Skolars have links to schools and local college. The thing is though the club, which is semi pro, has the responsibility, with no support, to raise the profile of the sport locally as well as maintain the club.

On a sad note Brixton Bulls have had to fold their women's team due to lack of opposition. Where London is lacking is -

• Women's RL
  • LD RL 

That’s a short ‘lacking’ list. You are being quite generous. 

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

2 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

That’s a short ‘lacking’ list. You are being quite generous. 

My response was in the context of the original question. Obviously there’s a lot more needed to be done down here - not least getting people to watch the game but women’s rl and LDRL are two areas we have zero activity. 

On 22/06/2019 at 11:23, scotchy1 said:

7 figures minimum, but its not like there isn't demand and stadiums don't make money in London. Its also likely that the RFL/SL would be able to access grants and cheap loans. 

If the game showed some long term thought and ambition we could be renting a stadium out instead of hiring one. 

Why should anybody offer grants and loans when there is already a ground called Trailfinders? It is there and up and running, shouldn't its grants be first in line? Just where does this never ending money stream come from, because I would like some of it please.

I really don't know the answer for The Broncos. Such a nomadic life. It had good traction when they were at Charlton, and averaging 2nd in SL for crowds etc.

I guess Londoners don't identify with being a 'Londoner' - there needs to be a more settled regional identity.

Also, to attract people to a new product - it has to look 'the business.' I know people are all saying its ideal as the crowds are low (Ealing) but, it's a bit of a catch 22. 

Entertainment in London sports or otherwise is mainly world class. Playing at what looks like a leading Amateur clubs ground isn't going to produce the Razzle Dazzle. Also, there likely needs to be a 1. short term, and 2. long term plan to engage with a new audience, and attract new fanbases.

The rise of the Skolars, (and maybe others) would help in rivalry too.....

Good to aspire to hey?!

On 22/06/2019 at 15:43, Dunbar said:

As I say, I would love to see it happen.

If I won the Euromillions I would even build it myself!

If its so easy to build a new stadium on 8% then why haven't everyone done that... Castleford for instance?

Best wishes to London, but...     Getting back to the point, London would do well to get about 2500. At the moment.  What plans do they have to expend their fan base (if it's possible) and if and when that happens, surely then they can look to expand seating in their current base? And then move on.

Otherwise we seem to be simply looking to "build it and they will come".

Plus of course given the obsession with P&R, just HOW could they be expected to expand their fan base?

23 hours ago, Southerner said:

London needs to be run on the same business plan as Melbourne Storm but we simply don’t have the funds. 

Spend a lot until it wins and then the crowds come? I'd love us to try.... If we got to a final or won something we'd grow ecponentially.. even if we stayed up for 3 years we would be back up to 4000+ crowds. Nothing helps crowds like success

Some say the Storm are the only truly successful expansion club (pre-Canada)

14 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

What plans do they have to expend their fan base (if it's possible) and if and when that happens, surely then they can look to expand seating in their current base? And then move on.

The fundamental problem is -  for either Bronocos or Skolars to build support more people (many more people) in the capital need to be aware of the sport and the clubs alone cannot do this. Skolars have an offer of free tickets for local residents. A few have taken this up but how many of the 300,000 plus residents of Haringey have heard of the sport, let alone the offer? We don’t have the resource to market in any significant way. In the heartland it’s different. RL is regularly on local radio and TV for instance. People are aware of it, even they don’t attend. There are channels to promote it easily. I think this season Broncos have been featured twice of the London BBC TV sports report. That makes us a novelty. 

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

The fundamental problem is -  for either Bronocos or Skolars to build support more people (many more people) in the capital need to be aware of the sport and the clubs alone cannot do this. Skolars have an offer of free tickets for local residents. A few have taken this up but how many of the 300,000 plus residents of Haringey have heard of the sport, let alone the offer? We don’t have the resource to market in any significant way. In the heartland it’s different. RL is regularly on local radio and TV for instance. People are aware of it, even they don’t attend. There are channels to promote it easily. I think this season Broncos have been featured twice of the London BBC TV sports report. That makes us a novelty. 

Indeed.

But a reasonable successful SL team averages 6000. The good ones get 10000.  So merely being there is not going to attract a stadium worthy of anything like 6000.

This is why the game is not going to expand, either in profile or in nr of clubs, by the work of the individual clubs themselves. 

The game needs to decide where it going.

7 hours ago, EssexRL said:

• Women's RL
  • LD RL 

Of course it has.

So, the conclusion is that London have just not moved stadium enough.

It is nothing to do with having to tidentify and take advantage of a smaller niche, but affluent market within London.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived