London Broncos have been a disaster off the pitch

33 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Because trailfinders isn't of the necessary quality, size and nor does it belong to the sport. It achieves pretty much none of the things that I suggested we would use this stadium for. 

The capacity is more than adequate with room to grow and the facility is excellent

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

The capacity is more than adequate with room to grow and the facility is excellent

agreed, it is fine for now and if they continue in super league hopefully they can build on it.. if not then maybe look outside.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Because trailfinders isn't of the necessary quality, size and nor does it belong to the sport. It achieves pretty much none of the things that I suggested we would use this stadium for. 

All well and good, but that is not my point. I am suggesting to you that if there is any available grant money's, and it's not a bottomless pit, then it strikes me that Trailfinders would be in the queue if they were intetested. After that then there are likely to be many other London projects.

The idea that the RFL are going to fund a stadium for RL and up to 3 teams... for an audience it does not have ...  is risible.

14 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

If its so easy to build a new stadium on 8% then why haven't everyone done that... Castleford for instance?

Best wishes to London, but...     Getting back to the point, London would do well to get about 2500. At the moment.  What plans do they have to expend their fan base (if it's possible) and if and when that happens, surely then they can look to expand seating in their current base? And then move on.

Otherwise we seem to be simply looking to "build it and they will come".

Plus of course given the obsession with P&R, just HOW could they be expected to expand their fan base?

I want licensing back

I suspect we'd get a successor investor to Hughes if it was

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Trailfinders does not belong to the game or the club, and wouldn't achieve any of the things I suggested. What happens to it is irrelevant. The club is currently renting a facility that can barely be called a stadium, that is nowhere near SL standard and does not offer them any ability to scale their business. Trailfinders is a waste of time, if London are ever able to wash their own face it wont be there. They will need to move. Trailfinders can apply for all the grants they want, it wouldn't achieve any of the things I suggested for RL. 

I have no idea which three teams you are talking about. The RFL could fund a stadium, in conjunction with other bodies such as councils etc, and have a hub of RL in London. Governing bodies owning stadiums is a pretty common thing

I agree with all this. The RFL should have made a strategic decision with London 25 years ago and built a stadium in conjunction with the club and a Football club. Other sports get plenty of funding for such projects so the RFL should have been aiming for a slice of that pie. The game would now be in a far better and stronger position for it.

Instead we go round in circles, making the same mistakes and expanding or contracting at the whim of Sports England funding for development officers and in the case of London at the whim of the club's that London groundshare with.

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I want licensing back

I suspect we'd get a successor investor to Hughes if it was

Great.But London Broncos wouldn't get a licence on the previous criteria

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/7138760.stm

What criteria would you apply?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 minute ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Great.But London Broncos wouldn't get a licence on the previous criteria

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/7138760.stm

What criteria would you apply?

1) Has Mark Tookey made more than 55 appearances for your club?

If the answer to (1) is yes, then you're in Super League for perpetuity.

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The 'criteria' was the biggest mistake the game has made in a long time. Made it a tick-box competition rather than the much simpler process it was. 

Will you 'elite' clubs be pulling up the drawbridge without any criteria - other than 'currently in Super League?'

9 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Trailfinders does not belong to the game or the club, and wouldn't achieve any of the things I suggested. What happens to it is irrelevant. The club is currently renting a facility that can barely be called a stadium, that is nowhere near SL standard and does not offer them any ability to scale their business. Trailfinders is a waste of time, if London are ever able to wash their own face it wont be there. They will need to move. Trailfinders can apply for all the grants they want, it wouldn't achieve any of the things I suggested for RL. 

I have no idea which three teams you are talking about. The RFL could fund a stadium, in conjunction with other bodies such as councils etc, and have a hub of RL in London. Governing bodies owning stadiums is a pretty common thing

Common thing?

Like the FA who are desperate to unload Wembley because of the debt but now are stuck with it. And Twickers is in debt thanks to the ground as well.

But your rigernarole is pointless in the context of my point, in that there are many places to fill before Broncos and RLF would get grants for a London stadium.

Please call off the search for another response to this, as I won't be repeating myself further.

On 21/06/2019 at 23:47, Henson Park Old Firm said:

They need to build there own stadium

That's easily done, find some spare land in London that you can afford, then, oh... hang on...

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

No it isn't. Its an amateur level capacity and an amateur level quality. It is not a top tier level facility. 

It's good enough for an upper 2nd tier pro union team and a lower level SL club.  Have you been??

24 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

It's good enough for an upper 2nd tier pro union team and a lower level SL club.  Have you been??

What is your definition of good enough for a lower level SL club? Is that really what our top division should aspire to?

My 12 year old son literally laughed when he saw the London match last week and couldn't believe that was a top level club. He has played at better amateur sports grounds. Colleagues at work did much the same. I am as big a supporter of expansion as anyone and the need for a London club but London in its current guise are not a Super League level club. They are a lower league club and have a setup as such. Yes they are there on merit and I accept that but don't pretend they are something they are not.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Yes. I spend a lot of time in London. Ill be down there for 5 days from Thursday. 

Its an amateur level facility, it is not good enough for SL. It wouldn't look out of place in the North East Counties football league. 

The only context in which it is good enough is that it has a pitch and posts and David Hughes is willing to spend money keeping them ticking over. 

So you have actually been to a game at the Ealing Trailfinders ground?

1 hour ago, Damien said:

What is your definition of good enough for a lower level SL club? Is that really what our top division should aspire to?

My 12 year old son literally laughed when he saw the London match last week and couldn't believe that was a top level club. He has played at better amateur sports grounds. Colleagues at work did much the same. I am as big a supporter of expansion as anyone and the need for a London club but London in its current guise are not a Super League level club. They are a lower league club and have a setup as such. Yes they are there on merit and I accept that but don't pretend they are something they are not.

it's affordable, the capacity's good, the pitch is good, the bar is good, the bogs are good, the locations good, the scoreboard's good, the food's good, the access is good.  What's your definition?  20000k capacity all-seater arena for a sport that has about 5 clubs that can draw 10k crowds?

3 hours ago, tim2 said:

That's easily done, find some spare land in London that you can afford, then, oh... hang on...

Hughes should have done it years ago, now near on impossible. People have to remember it suits the union club just find, they own it all. 

4 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

There should be three criteria,

will you add to super league

Will you survive in Super league

and do you contribute to the long term strategic aims of growth and expansion. 

That's it. 

That rules out Leigh - as recently proven.

How does any club currently in Super League fit in with the 3rd criteria?  The 2 Hull clubs have ended their joint academy;not growth

Wigan and Leeds are struggling - not just on the pitch.

Apart from a mascot being shown on social media,and gaining a few hits, Warrington don't have crowds queuing round the block and their growth seems stunted.

Just now, Angelic Cynic said:

That rules out Leigh - as recently proven.

How does any club currently in Super League fit in with the 3rd criteria?  The 2 Hull clubs have ended their joint academy;not growth

Wigan and Leeds are struggling - not just on the pitch.

Apart from a mascot being shown on social media,and gaining a few hits, Warrington don't have crowds queuing round the block and their growth seems stunted.

Hull and Rovers are now running separate academies so that’s an extra 100% growth.

rldfsignature.jpg

9 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

it's affordable, the capacity's good, the pitch is good, the bar is good, the bogs are good, the locations good, the scoreboard's good, the food's good, the access is good.  What's your definition?  20000k capacity all-seater arena for a sport that has about 5 clubs that can draw 10k crowds?

Hardly a top level stadium then is it? You've described many amateur sports grounds.

My definition certainly wouldn't be a 20k stadium but its certainly a damn site more than what London's ground currently is. A couple of decent permanent covered stands, decent hospitality and a 6k capacity would be good enough for starters. You seem awfully tetchy with a point of view that many London fans have agreed with.

19 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Spend a lot until it wins and then the crowds come? I'd love us to try.... If we got to a final or won something we'd grow ecponentially.. even if we stayed up for 3 years we would be back up to 4000+ crowds. Nothing helps crowds like success

Some say the Storm are the only truly successful expansion club (pre-Canada)

Successful as in costing a fortune ?

32 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I cant remember off the top of my head, early last year I was down there for work so I went along. I was hoping they were at home this weekend but unfortunately not. 

you can't remember who was playing?! ha ha. I call BS.  Go to a game then come back to me.

49 minutes ago, Damien said:

Hardly a top level stadium then is it? You've described many amateur sports grounds.

My definition certainly wouldn't be a 20k stadium but its certainly a damn site more than what London's ground currently is. A couple of decent permanent covered stands, decent hospitality and a 6k capacity would be good enough for starters. You seem awfully tetchy with a point of view that many London fans have agreed with.

What's a "top level stadium"? it's just meaningless drivel.  the capacity is 4k.  The club were averaging 800 last year. 

I''ve been a season ticket holder when they played at Brentford, it was expensive, the seats were ridiculously close together, only 1 or 2 stands were open for games max.  It was terrible.  But hey it fits your definition as it looks like a pro soccer stadium.

I was a season ticket holder at the Stoop, 12k capacity and crowds of 2-4k.  The atmosphere was terrible, the bar staff were painfully rude, it was in bl**dy Twickenham. 

I just don't get the obsession with having a pro soccer style stadium so we can all point and criticise when it's 3/4 empty and the club are going bust again due to the cost.

Ealing is a really good fit for where the club are and allows them to continue their excellent junior development and survive as a club with room to grow.

I have only been to Trailfinders once (this year vs. Hull FC) but I really liked it... standing close to the pitch with a few reasonabley priced beers bought from friendly staff.

It's not a top tier venue but I enjoyed being there more than the box with seats that is the DW Stadium.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived