London Broncos have been a disaster off the pitch

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Well yes, nobody suggested the RFL/SL pay cash upfront. 

Also it wasn't the Rhinos who needed help from the council it was YCCC

But if this help is available to leeds and saints, why not 'the game' It has a much higher turnover, more backing, more stability. 

Perhaps it could get together, set up a company, bang some heads together and one of the owners who is a financier could lend some money and another of the owners who owns a massive construction company could use that money and build a stadium. Then on top of having it being a rugby league hub another of the owners, who operates a number of medium sized music venues throughout the country might be find some sort of use for it. 

Then again we could just say it wont work and we shouldn't bother trying and put on another 1895 cup, or half fill Anfield or just not bother doing anything

Everbodies great at spending other people's money , I once tried to get £ 2,500.00 each off 20 clubs that would by now have payed them back between ten and twenty fold , no chance 

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

You say that. I understand why they didn't believe you. 

But though you hate to admit it, we are in agreement that a big problem in the game is that it never works together. Instead it works in competition to itself and this is why issues such as London never get resolved. The RFU built Twickenham and the FA built Wembley. They did that together 

There is no reason the game couldn't build 15-20k stadia in London and the WMDC and solve these problems. It chooses not to because a big part of it would argue that the success of these areas disadvantaged them. 

Which it would , but don't just lay this at the door of the lower tier clubs , the SL clubs are just as cupable in looking after no 1 , not forgetting the administration as well , it's human nature ,you look after yourself 1st , I couldn't change that , neither will you 

Not forgetting your usual little insult at the start of course , you just can't help it can you ? 

13 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

You say that. I understand why they didn't believe you. 

But though you hate to admit it, we are in agreement that a big problem in the game is that it never works together. Instead it works in competition to itself and this is why issues such as London never get resolved. The RFU built Twickenham and the FA built Wembley. They did that together 

There is no reason the game couldn't build 15-20k stadia in London and the WMDC and solve these problems. It chooses not to because a big part of it would argue that the success of these areas disadvantaged them. 

Why would anyone bank roll a 15-20k RL stadium in London? Broncos getting 5k a week at best. Skolars 500-1k. Too small for semi finals or finals or internationals.  

If the game "worked together" to fund a stadium it would need to be in the north and a lot bigger. And considering that the England team can literally go years without a home Test match it would be a tough sell to investors.

Just now, Tre Cool said:

Why would anyone bank roll a 15-20k RL stadium in London? Broncos getting 5k a week at best. Skolars 500-1k. Too small for semi finals or finals or internationals.  

If the game "worked together" to fund a stadium it would need to be in the north and a lot bigger. And considering that the England team can literally go years without a home Test match it would be a tough sell to investors.

These questions have been answered numerous times on this thread as has the logic behind it.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Im not laying it at the door of lower league clubs, SL clubs are just as bad. The lower end SL clubs and top championship are probably the worst for it. They grab on to what they can get from the crumbs of the top clubs table and fight like badgers to make sure the clubs lower down to get it.

It wasn't an insult. I can understand why they didn't believe you because you were in competition with them. Its not particularly that it was you, though we disagree on a lot, it would be the same for anyone. If the game has one singular problem it needs to solve over all others it is that it see's its competition internally rather than externally. Cas, Fev, Wakefield, Dewsbury and Batley see each other as competition and fight each other for scraps of RL money. When the real competition is football, RU, Cricket and gigs fighting for entertainment money. 

" I can understand why they didn't believe you because you were in competition with them " 

" When the real competition is football,RU,Cricket and ' Gigs ' fighting for entertainment money " 

Bit of a contradiction there , the second sentence was almost exactly what I told them , along with of course Leeds,Wigan,Saints and all the other SL clubs 

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Im not laying it at the door of lower league clubs, SL clubs are just as bad. The lower end SL clubs and top championship are probably the worst for it. They grab on to what they can get from the crumbs of the top clubs table and fight like badgers to make sure the clubs lower down to get it.

ALL the clubs are the same , top to bottom 

8 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

15k is pretty much what the CC semis get and would be the right size for a lower league finals day.

This wouldnt be a national stadium, simply a London RL hub

I can see the logic of more internationals in London but I am not sure that having the Challenge Cup semis there would go down well... we already see fans grumbling when they have to travel to Bolton for a semi, never mind London. Would the London sporting public make up for the lack of fans from the teams involved.

This is all theoretical of course. The idea of our sport being able to build a dedicated stadium in London is fantasy no matter how many times it is said.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

20 minutes ago, RoverBear said:

I see the Broncos and Skolars clash again Saturday week, Broncos against Wire and Skolars vs Coventry.

Is it really difficult to stagger the fixtures or is it a cost cutting exercise where both away teams come down on the same bus?

rldfsignature.jpg

15 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Is it really difficult to stagger the fixtures or is it a cost cutting exercise where both away teams come down on the same bus?

Evidently yes. You could even make a mini-event of it and do some sort of reward for those who made it to both.

18 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

If there was ever a spare bit of cash and vision (not sure which is the least likely tbh) I'd invest in modernising the New River.

And that is precisely what many on here have said the RFL should have done when the opportunity supposedly presented itself.

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

And that is precisely what many on here have said the RFL should have done when the opportunity supposedly presented itself.

But others have also pointed out that there are conditions from the council on what can and can’t be done in respect to developing NRS.

rldfsignature.jpg

14 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

But others have also pointed out that there are conditions from the council on what can and can’t be done in respect to developing NRS.

Conditions can and are frequently changed and it's a big site. It's not something that particularly needs to be argued over on this thread anyhow.

3 hours ago, RoverBear said:

Evidently yes. You could even make a mini-event of it and do some sort of reward for those who made it to both.

There has been done actually with a mini bus ferrying fans between games (think from us to Bronocs). I am not sure well connected the clubs are in terms of coordinating and supporting beyond player sharing.

5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

We cant at once complain the CC doesnt get coverage then also bury it away in the heartlands as a double header. How much money are wasting just giving money to football clubs to rent their stadia?

I think it would also allow us to sell the challenge cup to the country better. Frankly I think the CC is a disaster at the moment and Id sell every televised game to an area outside the heartlands. I cant do anyworse than it already does.

The game is chasing its tail 'cutting its cloth accordingly'and wondering why we have ended up with a crappy bit of cloth nobody wants. Everything is fantasy land until it happens. 

Across all sports the semi finals of a competition are for fans of the competing teams while the final can be described as a wider community event which attracts the neutral.

Last year, the Challenge Cup semi finals were broadcast live on BBC1 and played in front of a 26,000 crowd.  That is a good look for our sport.

Your plan would see the games broadcast live in front of next to no-one.

Until we put the 'sold out' signs up at Wembley for the final, we have no chance of moving the semi's away from the heartlands.  All we would achieve in playing the semi finals hundreds of miles away from the competing teams is fans from the North staying at home and Londoners disinterested... and an empty stadium.

I am as passionate about the expansion of our game as anyone on here but it has to be delivered with at least a nod to  common sense.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• 2 months later...

Dulwich Hamlet are building a 4,000 capacity stadium opening in 2021.

It's going to be in zone 2 (as close to central London as you're going to get) next to East Dulwich station and 15 minute walk from Denmark Hill station. They are also short of cash and will probably welcome a tenant.

30 minutes ago, John C said:

Dulwich Hamlet are building a 4,000 capacity stadium opening in 2021.

It's going to be in zone 2 (as close to central London as you're going to get) next to East Dulwich station and 15 minute walk from Denmark Hill station. They are also short of cash and will probably welcome a tenant.

Why move to a 4K ground on the other side of town though? 

On 26/06/2019 at 16:37, scotchy1 said:

We cant at once complain the CC doesnt get coverage then also bury it away in the heartlands as a double header. How much money are wasting just giving money to football clubs to rent their stadia?

I think it would also allow us to sell the challenge cup to the country better. Frankly I think the CC is a disaster at the moment and Id sell every televised game to an area outside the heartlands. I cant do anyworse than it already does.

The game is chasing its tail 'cutting its cloth accordingly'and wondering why we have ended up with a crappy bit of cloth nobody wants. Everything is fantasy land until it happens. 

How is the CC a disaster? We have just had 65k people at the domestic cup final. What other sports other than football and Union could do that? 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Why move to a 4K ground on the other side of town though? 

It's not completely the other side of town, 13 miles from Trailfinders. It's in South London, but only just over the river, not deep south like Croydon for example. Walking distance from 2 train stations makes it very accessible.

Only 4,000 capacity but Bronco's average attendance this season is about 2,000. From an atmosphere point of view as well as how it looks on TV, it's better to be in a full 4,000 capacity stadium than a quarter full 15,000 one.

Archived