Hats off to the Wire (Again!)

As the title says Wire continue to lead the way in what I belive the young people call 'Marketing' with yesterday's Wolfie film and the banner flying over the Saint's game. If the objective is to get noticed and talked about they are certainly at the top of their game off pitch at least.

No doubt many on here will deride it and it's target isn't old farts like me but I think it's brilliant and along with the Wire Flyer shows what can be done to entertain a new audience.

Of course we've had Ronnie and Bullmans antics in the past but like their respective clubs they seem a spent force and in need of a refresh.

The game itself could do with a marketable image, I thought that was part of Elstones remit?, That it could push into social media and the hour's of childrens TV that's available and looking for content.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bizarre approach of criticising them because it may 'come back to bite them on the ass' is backward.

Boxers engage in trash talk and the like to big up the fight and sell tickets. 

The sooner we embrace this all round the better. 12 clubs doing this would be great for SL.

Who is in charge of the publicity department at Warrington? Whoever it is certainly has an eye for an opportunity.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

25 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

Millions?

Our marketing budget dwarfs that of the Dallas Cowboys and Real Madrid.

You should have seen our two-minute slot at half-time in the Super Bowl.   It was basically Wolfie winding up some major Hollywood A-listers.    However the news anchor interviewing Wolfie afterwards was forced to publicly apologise after confusing Wolfie with Basil Brush... the same guy who mixed up Lawrence Fishburne and Samuel L Jackson apparently?

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Who is in charge of the publicity department at Warrington? Whoever it is certainly has an eye for an opportunity.

I believe much of it is down to Karl Fitzpatrick who has been borrowing ideas from other sports across the globe.   Not necessarily original but he’s doing a fantastic job.

The other thing in our favour is that our mascot has an edge to him that actually gives him a personality instead of the generic ‘man in a suit’.   He has comedy value that people want to follow.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The bizarre approach of criticising them because it may 'come back to bite them on the ass' is backward.

Boxers engage in trash talk and the like to big up the fight and sell tickets. 

The sooner we embrace this all round the better. 12 clubs doing this would be great for SL.

Trash talk?

27 minutes ago, meast said:

Meaning Warrington, courtesy of Mr Moran, and their income streams have a far bigger budget than most clubs, it was a figure of speech.

They spend little relative to their income, they are using cheap simple ideas, they also changed the person in the mascot outfit. They have used darts and snooker on sky ,played on the spygate at leeds Utd. The club has also with Saints and Wigan had media conference in big shopping centres with both coaches and players fully involved. Its not rocket science and all clubs should be actively promoting games. On top of this they pushed home games against Catalan and London to get record crowds against those clubs. 

2 hours ago, meast said:

It helps when you have a few million to splash around though, but yes, Warrington are certainly number 1 making social media videos, can they turn that into winning trophies that their millions would probably demand?

Even if this was true, which it isn't, then its not the sort of marketing that costs much at all anyway.

Just now, Oxford said:

Er, yes it is!

Get a grip,  maybe we should just do the standard expect things to happen,  l have criticised Warrington in the past but can see they are making an effort. 

Just now, ELBOWSEYE said:

Get a grip,  maybe we should just do the standard expect things to happen,  l have criticised Warrington in the past but can see they are making an effort. 

What?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Wire are just copying the Hull FC "Wembley Winners" banner that was flown over the Hull KR v Leigh game a couple of years back.

The difference is that a Hull FC fan paid for that and it was nothing to do with the club.

But I bet he thought it was so worth it.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

20 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Apologies read it wrong 

No problem, if that's the only one you read wrong you're doing well.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

I love Wolfie. As Cheshire Setter said he has personality. Can anyone supply a link to his latest antics please?

Plus there’s a pic of the banner here:

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/17723048.why-is-wolfie-in-a-plane-heading-to-st-helens/

=========

PS For anyone who’s interested - I can’t be sure but I think that Dakota in the clip is the one that used to be parked on the General Aviation apron at Liverpool Airport for a while.   It has a lot of history as I believed it served in WW2 and also in Nam and I had the pleasure of having a look round the cockpit about 10 years ago.   There are some patched up bullet holes in the skin, visible from the inside, where the FO or equivalent was shot during the Second World War.   More recently it has dropped poppies over Liverpool on Remembrance Day. ?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/wartime-veteran-touches-down-new-3530560.amp

Archived