fevnut's musings 2019/24: The Complete Team, Nightmare Scenario for Play-Offs

fevnut’s musings: The Complete Team, Nightmare Scenario for Play-Offs

fevnut’s blog is primarily about Featherstone Rovers (obviously!). But this week we also write about a potential scenario for the Championship play-offs which the RFL don’t seem to have considered but need to do something about as a matter of urgency.

Access ‘musings’ by clicking on the link below and don't forget to use the links on the right hand side of the page to open other interesting pages.

https://fevblog452.blogspot.com/2019/06/fevnuts-musings-24.html

They have most definitely considered this scenario but have decided that finishing first and then winning the second week playoff is deserving of two straight home games.

Why should Toronto potentially face a defacto away match in order to qualify for the Super League instead under a 1st place + second week victory scenario?

9 hours ago, Lamport Life said:

They have most definitely considered this scenario but have decided that finishing first and then winning the second week playoff is deserving of two straight home games.

Why should Toronto potentially face a defacto away match in order to qualify for the Super League instead under a 1st place + second week victory scenario?

Because in the past Grand Finals have always been on neutral grounds for both Super League and Championship and the potential of 2 trips with only a week's notice to Canada with part-time players is unreasonable. Don't get me wrong, I welcome Toronto being in our league and absolutely loved my trip to Toronto last year.

56 minutes ago, fevnut said:

Because in the past Grand Finals have always been on neutral grounds for both Super League and Championship and the potential of 2 trips with only a week's notice to Canada with part-time players is unreasonable. Don't get me wrong, I welcome Toronto being in our league and absolutely loved my trip to Toronto last year.

You don't seriously think that the RFL could sell a Toronto-Toulouse Grand Final played in England do you?

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/06/2019 at 04:38, fevnut said:

Yet the million pound game, the more recent route to promotion, was not played on neutral ground so the history argument doesn't prove anything.

9 hours ago, Lamport Life said:

Yet the million pound game, the more recent route to promotion, was not played on neutral ground so the history argument doesn't prove anything.

The MPG wasn’t a divisional final to determine league champions, it was a play off between to mid placed teams in that end of season league. Hardly the same. 

RFL could and should be selling tickets to the grand final now, but they can’t because the venue isn’t known until a week or two before the event. It’s ridiculous 

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 15:58, fevnut said:

fevnut’s musings: The Complete Team, Nightmare Scenario for Play-Offs

fevnut’s blog is primarily about Featherstone Rovers (obviously!). But this week we also write about a potential scenario for the Championship play-offs which the RFL don’t seem to have considered but need to do something about as a matter of urgency.

Access ‘musings’ by clicking on the link below and don't forget to use the links on the right hand side of the page to open other interesting pages.

https://fevblog452.blogspot.com/2019/06/fevnuts-musings-24.html

Hi fevnut.

Your scenario could be even worse for Leigh. Our last league match is at Toronto!

22 hours ago, AlanE said:

Hi fevnut.

Your scenario could be even worse for Leigh. Our last league match is at Toronto!

That's be fun , Toronto away , week later Toulouse away , week later Toronto away , then a home game , then Toronto away again 

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

I totally understand the rules were set at the start of the season but why do you need a play off after 27 rounds

Because there's the potential for the final table positions to be skewed by the extra game at the 'Bash' - both positions in and making the top 4 were affected several times in previous seasons.

It is a difficult situation but with more teams wishing to join from overseas, it's going to happen. Had Fev come top of the league, it would have negated this scenario. Top teams deserve the better run. 

The final being played in England has seen two seats confirmed already. Any takers for a third seat? ?

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

35 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Because there's the potential for the final table positions to be skewed by the extra game at the 'Bash' - both positions in and making the top 4 were affected several times in previous seasons.

This is why we don’t need the bash. There will be teams who don’t make the top 5 because of the extra game

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

51 minutes ago, DEANO said:

This is why we don’t need the bash. There will be teams who don’t make the top 5 because of the extra game

I doubt you'd find anybody to disagree , we don't ' need ' it , but it is the only time we get to see the 2nd tier televised 

14 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Even if that potential didn't exist, playoffs keep things interesting right to the end.  If the team finishing first after the regular season went straight up,  the issue would be pretty well settled already.

On 04/07/2019 at 12:24, DEANO said:

Any league structure whereby the top club can win every league game and not be champions/ promoted is farcical

Well, that's Australian rugby league for its entire history told. And British Rugby League for about 90 years of its history. And American Football, baseball, basketball and ice hockey. All farcical.

21 hours ago, JonM said:

Well, that's Australian rugby league for its entire history told. And British Rugby League for about 90 years of its history. And American Football, baseball, basketball and ice hockey. All farcical.

For much of the history of British RL, clubs didn't play every other club (as also happens in several of the competitions you mention), so a play off to determine the 'top' club was/is the best way.

Archived