Catch 22

It's one of my favourite books of all time.  But I was never a fan of the Mike Nichols, Alan Arkin version.  I thought Thursday night's offering was a much better effort to film this admittedly difficult book. Looking forward to subsequent episodes. Anyone else watch it?  Have a view.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

8 minutes ago, Trojan said:

It's one of my favourite books of all time.  But I was never a fan of the Mike Nichols, Alan Arkin version.  I thought Thursday night's offering was a much better effort to film this admittedly difficult book. Looking forward to subsequent episodes. Anyone else watch it?  Have a view.

I am planning to, and hope it is a bit better paced than the movie, which dates from the age of cinematic self-indulgence. Some great scenes it it, don't get me wrong, but it hasn't dated well overall.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Also one of my favourite books, although it's been quite a few years since I've re-read it.

Haven't seen it, didn't know they were making a tv adaptation. Is it on terrestrial? Sky? Amazon/Netflix?

It must be a stinker of a book to turn into visuals though, with all the flashbacks, repetition etc.

8 hours ago, JonM said:

Also one of my favourite books, although it's been quite a few years since I've re-read it.

Haven't seen it, didn't know they were making a tv adaptation. Is it on terrestrial? Sky? Amazon/Netflix?

It must be a stinker of a book to turn into visuals though, with all the flashbacks, repetition etc.

It’s on Channel 4

17 hours ago, JonM said:

They seem to have gone for a linear timeline to make it easier for the hard of thinking viewer.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I'm definitely going to continue watching. However I do keep comparing George Clooney, unfavourably and perhaps unfairly, to Lee Ermey's brilliant performance in Full Metal Jacket.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Archived