Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Manfred Mann

59,721 watch State of Origin rugby league in Perth

State of Origin went to Perth for the first time today. The crowd of 59,721 at the new Optus Stadium was a ground record, beating the Australian Rules final played there last year.

This shows that Perth is ripe for its own rugby league team in the NRL, and that rugby league must expand its geographic reach to that city.

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Like 2

SoO is a product with national appeal all over Australia, even in cities where rugby league has no professional team yet.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Manfred Mann said:

SoO is a product with national appeal all over Australia, even in cities where rugby league has no professional team yet.

Plus my mate lives in Perth and even through it's Aussie Rules in that state and Cricket as the top sports they are unlike Victorians and South Australians and really get pumped about SOO and even the Wallabies game against the All Blacks in August but I suspect thats because its the All Blacks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

It’s like playing Yorkshire v Lancashire in Somerset.

But it can't be analogous given the fact that such a huge crowd attended in Perth.

• Like 2

Just now, Manfred Mann said:

But it can't be analogous given the fact that such a huge crowd attended in Perth.

Why can’t it? SoO is chasing the almighty dollar by binning home advantage and taking it to a venue with next to nothing to do with the combatants. It has lost something IMO by doing so.

rldfsignature.jpg

19 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

If we could get nearly 60k for it then let’s go for it

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Why can’t it? SoO is chasing the almighty dollar by binning home advantage and taking it to a venue with next to nothing to do with the combatants. It has lost something IMO by doing so.

I quite like the concept. 3 game series, so each side gets a home game and then 1 at a neutral venue.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, MZH said:

I quite like the concept. 3 game series, so each side gets a home game and then 1 at a neutral venue.

I’m sure the NSW and Qld fans love having a game taken off them each year.

• Confused 1

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

I’m sure the NSW and Qld fans love having a game taken off them each year.

It's been played in Melbourne 8 times - there were 87k watching at the MCG last year and 91k for the previous game in Melbourne, so this is hardly a new thing. Adelaide next year I think.

Sydney Roosters v Melbourne Storm in the NRL in Adelaide this week.

• Like 2

I can understand both sides of the argument. It’s a series between NSW and Queensland so don’t know what it has to do with any other state or country for that matter. But then again it’s a good opportunity to take a successful product like SOO to uncharted territories to showcase the sport. 

A strange sidelight to this event is the fact that the famous game caller on Channel 9, Ray Warren, has a phobia of flying. So he rarely calls any game more than 100 miles from Sydney. This means that for him to be in Perth for the State of Origin game he must have been forced to take a train across the country (several days travel) and then back again by train after the game.

When the rain teamed down, I did notice quite a lot of empty seats, particularly in the middle tier. Is that where the corporates sit? Despite having a roof on, it seemed quite exposed, as a lot of people in the crowd had rain jackets on. I suppose in a state where there are 300 days of sunshine a year, they don’t have to deal with those weather conditions very often

29 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I think it makes complete sense having one of the matches outside of NSW and Queensland so that neither has an advantage in the series.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

A strange sidelight to this event is the fact that the famous game caller on Channel 9, Ray Warren, has a phobia of flying. So he rarely calls any game more than 100 miles from Sydney. This means that for him to be in Perth for the State of Origin game he must have been forced to take a train across the country (several days travel) and then back again by train after the game.

He didn't because he flew to Perth.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

No it's not stop being so ridiculous (with respect). Like it or not, the product has states in Australia willing to pay huge $$$$ to bring it there. 

Do we like it to dominate internationals? No - it sucks it is that way. But being facetious about it doesn't help anyone.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Or Joey and Gus Gould took the A-Team BA Baracus approach to get the rabbit to Perth? Usually dropped into a glass of milk.

Every time I go to Perth I don’t see or hear any Aussies, just Brits and Irish.   Probably some potential there based on the fact that some expats will be from Northern England and the Irish seem to admire RL whenever I’ve spoken to them.

Edited by Cheshire Setter

36 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

What has it lost?

Four legs good - two legs bad

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Or Joey and Gus Gould took the A-Team BA Baracus approach to get the rabbit to Perth? Usually dropped into a glass of milk.

How old are you?

rldfsignature.jpg

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

What has it lost?

As I said about one state losing a home game.  The QRL and the NSWRL will just have $ in their eyes. They won’t care about their own supporters.I also realise it’s been done for years.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

How old are you?

It was must see viewing in primary school. Safe too, no one ever got killed despite machine guns and explosions.

Just now, Scubby said:

It was must see viewing in primary school. Safe too, no one ever got killed despite machine guns and explosions.

More like must see viewing at uni.

• Haha 1

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Actually it’s like England v Australia playing in Wales. Oh like the World Cup opened. Or any magic weekend. It’s quite hard to criticise a game when it just had 59k in attendance. 

• Like 4