Origin in the UK

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because of RLs almost invisible profile in this country it would be nigh on impossible to attract other than the comitted Leaguie or expat.  The Aussies have always wanted a test to take place in London even to the extent of13,000 of us rattling around Wembley back in 1973.

While there is still cities and states willing to pay big money to stage it in their own country why should they want to travel over here?  and if they did it would only be to London?

I think the biggest obstacle would be the players union complaining about jet lag. Or does that only apply to non NRL controlled internationals? ?.

London would be the most likely venue, Spurs new ground perhaps. Would be nice to see as I’m sure a lot of northerners would travel down as well as expats. 

Cant see it happening though due to my first point 

I would only go and watch if the players promised to try hard. I wouldn't open the curtains to watch that Queensland performance again today if they were playing in my back yard.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I don't care for SOO. It stunts the international game and fuels the Aussie ego's, whilst being completely insular as far as the rest of the world having an interest.  Not watched at all this year.

A GB trial equivalent between England and a combined Celts side would be interesting, but I'd rather NRL players were released for the individual Celtic nations so they could field their strongest sides in a European Cup equivalent of the Oceania Cup

1 hour ago, BenGilesRL said:

I don't care for SOO. It stunts the international game and fuels the Aussie ego's, whilst being completely insular as far as the rest of the world having an interest.  Not watched at all this year.

A GB trial equivalent between England and a combined Celts side would be interesting, but I'd rather NRL players were released for the individual Celtic nations so they could field their strongest sides in a European Cup equivalent of the Oceania Cup

It also makes them a awful lot of money and while that remains so international games, which don't, will always be a poor second for them.

Seeing it’s all based around 9 tv ratings I can’t see them having it outside their prime time . Absolutely no way will it happen . The demand there for games is huge as is the revenues 

As it’s one of the biggest sporting events in Australia and because of our cultural links, I suspect it’d get more local media coverage in England than some big SL events.

That would be both good and sad.

On 23/06/2019 at 13:50, Clogiron said:

Because of RLs almost invisible profile in this country it would be nigh on impossible to attract other than the comitted Leaguie or expat.  The Aussies have always wanted a test to take place in London even to the extent of13,000 of us rattling around Wembley back in 1973.

While there is still cities and states willing to pay big money to stage it in their own country why should they want to travel over here?  and if they did it would only be to London?

I’d concur with this.

State of Origin has never had any profile in the UK, you just never hear it mentioned (nor the NRL league), so it’s Aussie expats and RL devotees that would make up most of the interest if a game was played here. The obvious comparison is the NFL, which in contrast to SOO has always had a niche interest in the UK, so curious onlookers attend. There are no (proper) American football teams/league here as it isn’t popular enough to play/watch, so those that are curious (or do follow the sport) would go see pro teams that come here. There isn’t that curiosity factor with RL with the sport being played here (being the home of it come to that).

Let’s say Wigan are the most popular RL team in the UK, far more people would watch them here than any Aussie RL team, and given the number who would watch Wigan wouldn’t be substantial it doesn’t say much for an Aussie team.

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

I’d concur with this.

State of Origin has never had any profile in the UK, you just never hear it mentioned (nor the NRL league), so it’s Aussie expats and RL devotees that would make up most of the interest if a game was played here. The obvious comparison is the NFL, which in contrast to SOO has always had a niche interest in the UK, so curious onlookers attend. There are no (proper) American football teams/league here as it isn’t popular enough to play/watch, so those that are curious (or do follow the sport) would go see pro teams that come here. 

There are also many people from mainland Europe who travel to London to see an NFL game.

rldfsignature.jpg

33 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

There are also many people from mainland Europe who travel to London to see an NFL game.

Indeed, in the couple of games I went to I was amazed at the number of German's at the games and I probably heard as many German speakers as English ones.

3 hours ago, DC77 said:

There are no (proper) American football teams/league here as it isn’t popular enough to play/watch, so those that are curious (or do follow the sport) would go see pro teams that come here. 

Not bad for no (proper) teams. 

https://www.britishamericanfootball.org/teams/contact--adult#.XREWtozTWhA

https://www.britishamericanfootball.org/teams/contact--university#.XREXBYzTWhA

https://www.britishamericanfootball.org/teams/contact--women#.XREXwYzTWhA

And that’s just men’s, universities and women’s teams. Not included all the college and junior teams.

I wish RL had this sort of reach countrywide.

On 24/06/2019 at 17:31, deluded pom? said:

True, but NFL has a niche interest there...

On 24/06/2019 at 18:06, Damien said:

Indeed, in the couple of games I went to I was amazed at the number of German's at the games and I probably heard as many German speakers as English ones.

...especially in Germany. Think most (if not all) of the teams in NFL Europe were based in Germany before it folded.

You have niche interest, and the curiosity factor (the latter probably sparked by what is a foreign sport getting some media coverage), that fuels NFL attendances in England. 

RL ain’t foreign in England, so there isn’t that “what’s this” factor. Non RL people (who follow/watch sport) know it’s a game rooted in the north of England, they’ve heard of the Wigan’s/St Helens, so there isn’t the curiosity/appeal of something from outside. You aren’t going to get folk from mainland Europe coming over either as Aussie RL doesn’t get media coverage to spark the curiosity there.

It’s RL devotees and Aussie expats that would make up the bulk of the interest. Regards Aussie RL, I’d be curious to know how many watch it in the UK in comparison to those who watch SL? I’d hazard a guess it’s nowhere near it. An Aussie RL team doesn’t carry any more weight here than a SL team, certainly in terms of name recognition. 

On 24/06/2019 at 19:36, burnleywelsh said:

Not bad for no (proper) teams. 

https://www.britishamericanfootball.org/teams/contact--adult#.XREWtozTWhA

https://www.britishamericanfootball.org/teams/contact--university#.XREXBYzTWhA

https://www.britishamericanfootball.org/teams/contact--women#.XREXwYzTWhA

And that’s just men’s, universities and women’s teams. Not included all the college and junior teams.

I wish RL had this sort of reach countrywide.

Proper as in pro, as in being competitive with teams in another country. Those uni teams would get killed. And how many watch these uni teams? (not including dog walkers passing by the field).

Archived