22 minutes ago, Damien said:

Fantastic, the women's game has so much potential and should seek to ride the crest of a wave that is women's sport at the moment.

Fev ladies won 94-0 this afternoon. Clearly a great result, but does sound like some very one sided games today. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

I'm happy to see the women's game growing. Hopefully the games will be more consistently close as the standards improve. Hopefully Hull FC will be in there soon enough. I can imagine a women's Hull Derby generating a lot of interest around here when it happens.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I believe the women’s State of Origin in north Sydney on Friday drew more than 10,000 as a stand-alone event.

There’s a huge push on women’s sport in Aus at the moment (as ‘proper’ sport, not some kind of novelty), and it seems to be on a similar track in the UK (I notice how many people in UK have been getting behind the England women in the football World Cup), so this is definitely an avenue RL needs to aggressively pursue 

More people playing and watching Rugby League. Great.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 hours ago, DiH68 said:

I believe the women’s State of Origin in north Sydney on Friday drew more than 10,000 as a stand-alone event.

It wasn’t free entry either unlike many AFLW matches.

It’s only going to get bigger.

This is all great for women’s sport.

As they say in women’s sport in Australia, “You can’t be what you can’t see”.

Hopefully young girls are inspired to go onwards and upwards with sport.

10 hours ago, DiH68 said:

There’s a huge push on women’s sport in Aus at the moment (as ‘proper’ sport, not some kind of novelty), and it seems to be on a similar track in the UK (I notice how many people in UK have been getting behind the England women in the football World Cup), so this is definitely an avenue RL needs to aggressively pursue 

The BBC has been running a summer of women's sport - giving a lot of other sports coverage in addition to the football world cup, for example, there is full ball-by-ball commentary on the cricket internationals.

Women's RL is far less about massively strong players wrestling each other in the tackle, which makes it more entertaining to watch from my point of view. The highlights from the State of Origin game are well worth catching up on.

10 hours ago, DiH68 said:

I notice how many people in UK have been getting behind the England women in the football World Cup

6.9m watching us overcome Cameroon.

I'm sure there were the usual tedious blowhards saying they're not against women's sport but they just don't want it shoved in their face but they're getting drowned out because, let's face it, they are the dullest people on the planet.

1,492 to watch Cas Women is fantastic.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Christopher Columbus discovered the New World.

So any bets on next figure being 1510 ?

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

3 hours ago, JonM said:

The BBC has been running a summer of women's sport - giving a lot of other sports coverage in addition to the football world cup, for example, there is full ball-by-ball commentary on the cricket internationals.

Women's RL is far less about massively strong players wrestling each other in the tackle, which makes it more entertaining to watch from my point of view. The highlights from the State of Origin game are well worth catching up on.

A view echoed by Phil Caplan on the Forty20 podcasts.

Seen some of the women’s RL too and it is attractive. Very open with lots of running rugby. Also prefer watching women’s RL over other women’s sports (bar tennis); women’s football for example the gulf is too big with the men’s game for me. It’s improving, but (as seen with a vastly lower successful passing percentage, vastly lower passing sequences, and questionable goalkeeping) it has a long way to go. The gulf in men’s and women’s RL doesn’t seem that much (bar the obvious physicality) with the passing via hands being easier to execute, so the running plays in the women’s game last just as long.

In terms of the men’s RL being as open as women’s RL, how would you undo the wrestling aspect that dominates (and suffocates) much of the men’s game?

36 minutes ago, DC77 said:

A view echoed by Phil Caplan on the Forty20 podcasts.

Seen some of the women’s RL too and it is attractive. Very open with lots of running rugby. Also prefer watching women’s RL over other women’s sports (bar tennis); women’s football for example the gulf is too big with the men’s game for me. It’s improving, but (as seen with a vastly lower successful passing percentage, vastly lower passing sequences, and questionable goalkeeping) it has a long way to go. The gulf in men’s and women’s RL doesn’t seem that much (bar the obvious physicality) with the passing via hands being easier to execute, so the running plays in the women’s game last just as long.

In terms of the men’s RL being as open as women’s RL, how would you undo the wrestling aspect that dominates (and suffocates) much of the men’s game?

I was going to write something similar - the gulf between the England women's soccer and professional men's game is huge, as you say, which makes it not so interesting to watch and that's certainly not the case in RL.

I think the physicality of men's RL makes it a game that increasingly few people are able to play and I think touch is probably the way forward in terms of mass participation. I don't think we should be worried about having different variants of the game - plenty of other sports do. I don't really have an answer for how to modify the rules of RL to de-prioritise the importance of wrestling in the tackle and slowing down the ptb though.

6 hours ago, DiH68 said:

I do not believe price is a defining factor in attendances - in most cases I think it's an excuse for why people don't go, just like kick-off times, the stadium, traffic etc. If you don't want to go, you'll always find a reason not to.

In most cases I suspect it's not that people can't afford it - it's that they choose to spend their money elsewhere. And that's their prerogative.

I firmly believe that if most teams were to offer free entry for a match, they would still not sell it out

By definition you've said price is a factor.

50 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

By definition you've said price is a factor.

No, what I mean is I don’t think most people don’t go because they can’t afford it - they just choose to spend their money elsewhere or not to spend it at all. Of course there will always be some who genuinely can’t afford it but that would be the case whatever the price was  

Shouldn't this be on the women's RL forum?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived