Presumably women’s games have always been free or close to free?

And yet it’s only now they are drawing attendances worth noting.

So something other than the price must be the determining factor?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

6.9m watching us overcome Cameroon.

I'm sure there were the usual tedious blowhards saying they're not against women's sport but they just don't want it shoved in their face but they're getting drowned out because, let's face it, they are the dullest people on the planet.

1,492 to watch Cas Women is fantastic.

To play devils advocate, I know of 1 airline that has told it's pilot's to keep their passengers up to date with the scores from the world cup. Whilst (cynically) I think this is the airline trying to jump on a band wagon in an effort to push their own image as being associated with promoting women in the work place it could definitely come across as being 'shoved in people's faces'. As far as I am aware they did not tell their pilots to do this for the world cup last year.

Great news on the attendance. I've watched a bit of women's rl on the internet but not live yet and thoroughly enjoy it. Hopefully will get to Bolton and see it then. Looking forward to it.

48 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

To play devils advocate, I know of 1 airline that has told it's pilot's to keep their passengers up to date with the scores from the world cup. Whilst (cynically) I think this is the airline trying to jump on a band wagon in an effort to push their own image as being associated with promoting women in the work place it could definitely come across as being 'shoved in people's faces'. As far as I am aware they did not tell their pilots to do this for the world cup last year.

Great news on the attendance. I've watched a bit of women's rl on the internet but not live yet and thoroughly enjoy it. Hopefully will get to Bolton and see it then. Looking forward to it.

That seems like the mildest of mild shovings of anything in front of anyone's face.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, DiH68 said:

No, what I mean is I don’t think most people don’t go because they can’t afford it - they just choose to spend their money elsewhere or not to spend it at all. Of course there will always be some who genuinely can’t afford it but that would be the case whatever the price was  

You're still contradicting yourself, if "most" people choose to spend their money elsewhere (family shopping for instance) then they must perceive the value/amount of what they would be spending on admittance as a defining/critical factor as to affordability to go or not, because they have, according to your very own words spent the money elsewhere. You've said this twice already in two different ways but still contradicts what you're saying.

"or not spend it at all", so what you're saying is, some people choose to save their money as opposed to watching rugby/or spending it on something. So if the game was free or a very low price £5 for instance, do you think this particular group would attend? We know that this is the case with some fans as they don't/won't attend or attend very infrequently and the critical reason is the price.

Fans mention pricing often, it's come up as a topic thread here, we know it gets discussed on other fora, we know it gets discussed down the pub, at work, at home, it's what people look at first and foremost other costs.

I read on RL fans a few years ago some Wakefield or Cas fans (I can't remember which tbh) saying they wouldn't come to the KC because it was too expensive, about an extra £2-£4 compared to what they paid at home or elsewhere. That the amount difference was relatively insignificant to travel/beer/admittance fee altogether obviously passed them by or, the actual price of getting in was a defining factor.

10 hours ago, DC77 said:

A view echoed by Phil Caplan on the Forty20 podcasts.

Seen some of the women’s RL too and it is attractive. Very open with lots of running rugby. Also prefer watching women’s RL over other women’s sports (bar tennis); women’s football for example the gulf is too big with the men’s game for me. It’s improving, but (as seen with a vastly lower successful passing percentage, vastly lower passing sequences, and questionable goalkeeping) it has a long way to go. The gulf in men’s and women’s RL doesn’t seem that much (bar the obvious physicality) with the passing via hands being easier to execute, so the running plays in the women’s game last just as long.

In terms of the men’s RL being as open as women’s RL, how would you undo the wrestling aspect that dominates (and suffocates) much of the men’s game?

You are so far off the mark here I don't know where to start! have you been watching any of the women's soccer world cup?

As for men v women in RL "doesn't seem that much", the sport is mainly about physicality, you can't exclude it when comparing. A national conf prem team would best the best national women's team IMHO.

12 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

See my response above.

All he’s saying is in his experience price isn’t the main reason people don’t attend matches.  Picking up on apparently contradictory language doesn’t prove or disprove this theory.  You may have a different view, and might be able to back this up with some anecdotal evidence, but unless you’ve conducted some form of survey then it’s just opinion as to what the predominant drivers for attendance are.

20 hours ago, JonM said:

I was going to write something similar - the gulf between the England women's soccer and professional men's game is huge, as you say, which makes it not so interesting to watch and that's certainly not the case in RL.

I think the physicality of men's RL makes it a game that increasingly few people are able to play and I think touch is probably the way forward in terms of mass participation. I don't think we should be worried about having different variants of the game - plenty of other sports do. I don't really have an answer for how to modify the rules of RL to de-prioritise the importance of wrestling in the tackle and slowing down the ptb though.

Caplan referred to women’s RL as being a “throwback” to how the men’s game used to be with more exciting play. As a RL devotee he can still appreciate the physical nature of the men’s game today, but I feel that getting back to a more open game (with less wrestling for starters) would pull in more casual observers, myself included. Regards the women’s RL, I can definitely see it taking off. 

10 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

You are so far off the mark here I don't know where to start! have you been watching any of the women's soccer world cup?

As for men v women in RL "doesn't seem that much", the sport is mainly about physicality, you can't exclude it when comparing. A national conf prem team would best the best national women's team IMHO.

I’m more talking about ball handling than anything. The women in RL have no problem going from one side of the field to the other in a passing sequence, in women’s football the passing sequence breaks down much quicker. Using your hands rather than feet to pass the ball is the obvious factor in why the women in RL find it easier than the women footballers, as a result there isn't that gulf in ball passing between the men and women in RL that there is between men and women in football. 

Another big gulf in football is ball striking...specifically women being able to generate enough power. Women goalkeepers often struggle with this (the other day the England gk kicked the ball to a Cameroon player deep inside the England half, which led to a goal, but was given offside in a very marginal call). While there is kicking in RL it’s a small percentage in comparison to football, so again the gulf doesn’t show as much.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Q1

Is there a women’s World Cup in 2021?

Q2

Is it due to be televised?

Q3

If not why not?

Q1: Yes

Q2: Yes

Q3: N/A

It is all on the BBC. Every game live streamed and final on BBC before men's IIRC

Archived