Leeds set to swoop for Robert Lui

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Signing both Lui and Hastings could be a stroke of genius, a half back pairing that are familiar and used to playing with each other.

Maybe a chance if Myler us willing to move back to Salford.

I'm not sure that Lui offers much more than Myler. Both need to run alongside a more controlling half back. Myler's problem has been we've partnered him with a series of jokes from Moon to Tui to Sutcliffe so he's been forced to play a game he's not suited to. Pairing him with Lui should even then be an improvement but the controlling half is still what we need, and have needed since Sinfield retired (a couple of stand out games from McGuire notwithstanding).

This at face value isn't going to solve that. It might add enough to help avoid the drop but I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if Myler+Lui was a workable long term solution. 

I can't say I agree with a system where - well into a season - a club that has dug itself into a hole can simply buy its way out. This at the expense of a club with a limited budget that has shrewdly built a team worthy of a finals berth. Salford may need the money and Leeds can afford to pay it but from a Salford fan's point of view, it must be demoralising. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

7 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

One of these days a big club trying to buy their way out of trouble 2/3 of the way through a season will fail. And how I will laugh.

I know it’s not like a small club like Salford could go out and buy a player to help them stay up is it...

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

I can't say I agree with a system where - well into a season - a club that has dug itself into a hole can simply buy its way out. This at the expense of a club with a limited budget that has shrewdly built a team worthy of a finals berth. Salford may need the money and Leeds can afford to pay it but from a Salford fan's point of view, it must be demoralising. 

To be honest, I don't completely agree. If Salford as a club and a business could get themselves more fans, businesses, sponsors, etc to avoid this happening, this wouldn't be an issue.

Leeds are a huge club. They have built that over time. They should have that right to be fair. They haven't broken the salary cap, in fact they've had to offload one of their best products to accommodate others. It's shrewd business.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

No one is pointing a gun at Salfords head.   I wonder who leaked the news?

But isn't that what Salford did just last season.

I seem to recall them bringing in Hastings, plus a couple of others, just for the Eights last season. Wasn't it Koucash's money that paid for it?

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

To be honest, I don't completely agree. If Salford as a club and a business could get themselves more fans, businesses, sponsors, etc to avoid this happening, this wouldn't be an issue.

Leeds are a huge club. They have built that over time. They should have that right to be fair. They haven't broken the salary cap, in fact they've had to offload one of their best products to accommodate others. It's shrewd business.

Yup. Not sure what the issue is. The transfer market has been part of the game for years.

The tactic of keeping some room on the salary cap for this kind of situation or an injury crisis is perfectly valid.

4 hours ago, M j M said:

I'm not sure that Lui offers much more than Myler.

I would guess you are in a minority then.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

10 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I would guess you are in a minority then.

Myler is a very good player and always good for a try, he just needs to be partnered with someone with a great kicking game.

Better combination for Leeds (or Salford) would be Hastings and Myler and Hastings has already said this season how good he thinks Myler is after playing against him.

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

But isn't that what Salford did just last season.

I seem to recall them bringing in Hastings, plus a couple of others, just for the Eights last season. Wasn't it Koucash's money that paid for it?

Yes, you are right and I had forgotten that. However, I recall not being impressed then either.

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

As I said “Salford may need the money and Leeds can afford to pay it”. 

3 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

No one is pointing a gun at Salfords head.

As I said “Salford may need the money and Leeds can afford to pay it”. Pay attention guys ?

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

The tactic of keeping some room on the salary cap for this kind of situation or an injury crisis is perfectly valid.

I said “A club that has dug itself into a hole can simply buy its way out”. You call that a tactic Dave? You make it sound well thought out. Not getting into the mess Leeds are in would take some sort of tactic. Let’s call it for what it is. Using money to compensate for incompetence. ☹️

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

On the other side why should we have a system where a club who has (or wants to) built and grown its business, invested tens of millions in to its stadium have its spending restricted by businesses that haven't (or doesn't want to/cant)? 

Why should we have rules creating parity between clubs who have invested and grown their business and ones that haven't? 

Isnt the very idea of a salary cap, the restrictions of which have caused this problem, incongruent with Promotion and Relegation?

The words you seem to have missed are “well into a season”. I didn’t mention salary cap, business investment etc. The lateness of the action I don’t agree with. You didn’t read what I said properly did you? 

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

But the salary cap was what 'dug the hole' as it were. 

Its also not that late in the season. When would we stop transfers first day of the season? What do you do with the players who have fallen out of favour and can't get first team games at their team are they just stuck in reserves/DR?

What about clubs who are struggling to keep afloat are they banned from selling their assets? 

I already said the club may be happy to sell. What I said was a team builds nicely for the playoffs and then selling key players must be frustrating for fans following that side, especially if it causes a crash in fortunes. 

If Salford are struggling to stay afloat, they should be allowed dispensation. However, if they are solvent, they should wait to the end of the season to sell. I think there should be a transfer ban at some point in a season, unless as above, a special financial case can be made.

Archived