Leeds set to swoop for Robert Lui

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Damien said:

Or last season or Catalans or Warrington.

Last season when he was Leeds player of the year? Admittedly not much competition.

But you sign players to do certain roles and Myler wasn't signed as controlling half back. Trying to make him fit that role has been painful but it's what Leeds have done when giving the 6 shirt to Moon and Lolohea.

7 minutes ago, M j M said:

Last season when he was Leeds player of the year? Admittedly not much competition.

But you sign players to do certain roles and Myler wasn't signed as controlling half back. Trying to make him fit that role has been painful but it's what Leeds have done when giving the 6 shirt to Moon and Lolohea.

Says more about Leeds last season and certainly doesn't make him a really good player.

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

If Salford are struggling to stay afloat, they should be allowed dispensation. However, if they are solvent, they should wait to the end of the season to sell. I think there should be a transfer ban at some point in a season, unless as above, a special financial case can be made.

You're trying to be too sensible RayCee buying a player like Lui will galvanise and quite likely save Leeds. So loads of  people care. It will in all likelihood doom Salford so only a few people will be bothered.

Win, win in RL world or if you're a cynic same old same old.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 minutes ago, Oxford said:

You're trying to be too sensible RayCee buying a player like Lui will galvanise and quite likely save Leeds. So loads of  people care. It will in all likelihood doom Salford so only a few people will be bothered.

Win, win in RL world or if you're a cynic same old same old.

Aye, us non-Leeds fans all love Leeds!!! :default_biggrin:

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aye, us non-Leeds fans all love Leeds!!! :default_biggrin:

I  was talking about two sets of people, three if you can't indifferent. Leeds fans and those that are forever saying Salford bring nothing and should be in a lower league. And that means a group that far outnumber SRD fans and softspot fors.

I could also add those who think Leeds will bring more fans with them too I suppose.

Oxford's ability to crank the Chicken Licken up to 11 whenever Salford are mentioned is a source of great wonderment.

The deal hasn't even been completed yet, but you're already reaching for the razor blades and aspirin.

Christ, it was the end of the world when BMM left, it was the end of the world when Michael Dobson retired, it was the end of the world when Gareth O'Brien left, it's the end of the ###### world every time a player leaves Salford.

And yet there they are, fifth in the league and playing well.

There's a bloke on the Salford forum called Russ (I don't know if you know him), but maybe the two of you could go for a drink some time. You could spend a fun-packed evening sitting in a dark corner of the vault nursing half a shandy each and watching the sky fall all around you.

If the deal goes ahead it may amuse some Salford fans that a player signed to Salford,by Tim Sheens,continues to assist Leeds to preserve Super League status,and Hull KR are relegated.

May be schadenfreude after the exchange between the 2 clubs following the drop goal drama in the Million Pound game a couple of years ago.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Lolohea and a bit of cash seems like a good deal for both parties. There is a player in Lolohea, leeds don't have time to find it. Salford might strike lucky

Who knows...playing with Hastings  might make him look a world beater and get him a big move back to Leeds mid-season next year to help them out! 

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Says more about Leeds last season and certainly doesn't make him a really good player.

He was good enough to get called up by Wayne Bennett to play for England.

This season, sadly, he's been poor more often than not but then so have others

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

He was good enough to get called up by Wayne Bennett to play for England.

This season, sadly, he's been poor more often than not but then so have others

As a late replacement for Luke Gale in an experimental team against France. I'm not sure how much that makes him a really good player in a Super League context or if it says more about the lack of English available halfs to be honest.

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

If you put Myler or Lolohea with Hastings or Maloney they would be much much better. The problem for Myler is that the lack of that controlling half has shone a big bright light on his shortcomings. 

yep, your right... but Myler's short coming have been clear since he played for Leeds, as far as I could see (my wife's a keen Leeds fan and she's being the same since he arrived - that is his plus and negative points). The fact it has been overlooked or suitable partner to complement says something about decision makers of Leeds squad... I guess.

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

As a late replacement for Luke Gale in an experimental team against France. I'm not sure how much that makes him a really good player in a Super League context or if it says more about the lack of English available halfs to be honest.

He played against New Zealand, but your last sentence is correct

Many years ago Myler left Salford mid season, I can recall saying to Wire fans that Myler was a good player to play off someone's shoulder but wouldn't and couldn't control a game. Nothing has changed.

My issue with the Lui situation is yet again a club /agent/3rd party have been involved in unsettling a Salford player, we have seen it so many times in recent seasons with Fages, O'Brien, BBM etc. As with the O'Brien the situation Salford are left in a position where they have to take the money

Salford did sign players at the playoff stage last season but these were players not playing, weren't signed from a rival.

22 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Junior Vaivai has just signed for TO so I assume everything else will slot into place and others will be on the move

Booooooo! Boooooooooooooo!

Latest rumour...

we’re clearing quota space to bring in Aiden Sezer, I don’t know much about him but after doing a bit if research he looks like exactly the player we need. He’s out of favour at the raiders, maybe he’s seen how well Austin has gone and fancies a go over here

15 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Latest rumour...

we’re clearing quota space to bring in Aiden Sezer, I don’t know much about him but after doing a bit if research he looks like exactly the player we need. He’s out of favour at the raiders, maybe he’s seen how well Austin has gone and fancies a go over here

If it's true. It would be a great move for Leeds. From what I've seen in the NRL he is an exciting player to watch. 

2 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Many years ago Myler left Salford mid season, I can recall saying to Wire fans that Myler was a good player to play off someone's shoulder but wouldn't and couldn't control a game. Nothing has changed.

My issue with the Lui situation is yet again a club /agent/3rd party have been involved in unsettling a Salford player, we have seen it so many times in recent seasons with Fages, O'Brien, BBM etc. As with the O'Brien the situation Salford are left in a position where they have to take the money

Salford did sign players at the playoff stage last season but these were players not playing, weren't signed from a rival.

Blessing in disguise in my opinion, Evalds at full back is twice as good as O'Brien, I may get shot down but I don't see O'Brien as a SL player, he's not bad in the Championship but not even the best full back in that division, all my own opinion of course.

43 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

If Sezer and Lui come in that would be a huge turnaround in quality for lolohea, Watkins and Parcell that's unbelievable work from Sinfield. Get him in the next week and the 5 isnt out of reach.

Whilst a half back is a desperate need  Leeds are still left with a pack of forwards who just aren't good enough in SL, there inability to defend there own line isn't going to be cured by Lui or Sizer who's nothing special.

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Latest rumour...

I’m not sure there’s any truth in that. Sezer was out of favour at the start of the season, playing reserve grade with Sam Williams of all players keeping him out. However Sezer has been back in first grade the past few games and excelling, keeping his place on merit so I can’t see them releasing him unless it’s all pre-arranged with Williams heading over next year. 

Maybe Leeds have paid an early release? We’d need to release another quota player if we were to sign both him and Lui though 

Archived