Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum

Recommended Posts

Used to be a backpacker but little ones and the mortgage has restricted us to annual Norfolk trips last 7 years

Potential for our first foray abroad for a long time

Ideas from those with of you with young kids (or had young kids)? Somewhere warm in Europe thinking

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What type of things are you looking for?  Camping/outdoorsy type things?  Activity holiday?  Beach? 


“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ckn said:

What type of things are you looking for?  Camping/outdoorsy type things?  Activity holiday?  Beach? 

Mix of hot beach for a few days but plenty day trips/activities for 6/7 year old. 

Not against somewhere out of the obvious especially if it's better value

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

South of France?  You might get a quiet game of rugby in as well!  Some lovely areas around there as well for a family holiday.  Can get a bit muggy and hot this time of year though, autumn is nice though.


“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any of the Ionian islands, Corfu is a particular favourite of ours espythe north and west coasts 


"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phil said:

Any of the Ionian islands, Corfu is a particular favourite of ours espythe north and west coasts 

I'm afraid I got caught in Corfu Airport once for 9 hour delay and the staff/airport were beyond awful.... They are on my banned for life list! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ckn said:

South of France?  You might get a quiet game of rugby in as well!  Some lovely areas around there as well for a family holiday.  Can get a bit muggy and hot this time of year though, autumn is nice though.

Yep.... Funnily enough one thought was Northern Spain/South East France and go to the second Catalan VS London match..... Getting that past her indoors might be a tough one considering how much grief I get for watching rugby/cricket the rest of the year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep.... Funnily enough one thought was Northern Spain/South East France and go to the second Catalan VS London match..... Getting that past her indoors might be a tough one considering how much grief I get for watching rugby/cricket the rest of the year

Would you be flying down? Renting a car etc?

In that area there are some fantastic places to visit for families. On the Northern Spain end, Roses is a superb resort, with calm warm seas and some cracking eating places. You can hire pedalos with slides and all that sort of malarky. On the French side, Argeles and Canet are very family orientated coastal areas (but busy). And very conveniently, Perpginan is but a stones throw away.

In Villefranch de Conflent, the 'Train Jaune' is a fabulous ride, with plenty of interest for young and old. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Would you be flying down? Renting a car etc?

In that area there are some fantastic places to visit for families. On the Northern Spain end, Roses is a superb resort, with calm warm seas and some cracking eating places. You can hire pedalos with slides and all that sort of malarky. On the French side, Argeles and Canet are very family orientated coastal areas (but busy). And very conveniently, Perpginan is but a stones throw away.

In Villefranch de Conflent, the 'Train Jaune' is a fabulous ride, with plenty of interest for young and old. 

 

 

I couldn't drive there (I have a low boredom threshold) so would fly and rent a car

What's Roses like cost wise for accommodation/generally? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I couldn't drive there (I have a low boredom threshold) so would fly and rent a car

What's Roses like cost wise for accommodation/generally? 

Value for money would be looking for a gite  in southern France and dipping in and out of the resorts mentioned. That said, a week in Roses would likely cost you £1000-£1200 in August, I'd say. You would probably be able to get a self-catering gite for around £750 near the France/Spain border.

If you are just sticking to southern France, we stayed in this gite three years ago in Thuir. One of the best family holidays we have had. 15 mins from Perp. 30 mins from beach, currently £600 for the week in August. https://www.gites-de-france-66.com/location-vacances-Gite-a-Thuir-Pyrenees-orientales-66G121032.html?&deb=03/08/2019&fin=10/08/2019&reload=true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure on pricing, but we visited a place in northern Spain a few years ago called Tamariu, it was perfect for families, lovely beach town, no package holidays, wide range of types of accommodation, places to eat, buses to other local resorts, well worth a look.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

theres a new aldi and homebargains in Cleethorpes this year

  • Like 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

Value for money would be looking for a gite  in southern France and dipping in and out of the resorts mentioned. That said, a week in Roses would likely cost you £1000-£1200 in August, I'd say. You would probably be able to get a self-catering gite for around £750 near the France/Spain border.

If you are just sticking to southern France, we stayed in this gite three years ago in Thuir. One of the best family holidays we have had. 15 mins from Perp. 30 mins from beach, currently £600 for the week in August. https://www.gites-de-france-66.com/location-vacances-Gite-a-Thuir-Pyrenees-orientales-66G121032.html?&deb=03/08/2019&fin=10/08/2019&reload=true

Lovely cheers, will have a look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm afraid I got caught in Corfu Airport once for 9 hour delay and the staff/airport were beyond awful.... They are on my banned for life list! 

Yeah the airport leaves a lot to be desired, which is a pity as the island is, imo the most beautiful of all the Greek islands 


"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah the airport leaves a lot to be desired, which is a pity as the island is, imo the most beautiful of all the Greek islands 

There was a binman strike when I was there so along with very aggressive airport staff and a 9 hour delay maybe I didn't see it at its best! 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flight to Barcelona and then head North or South, serviced by superb trains and the world's your oyster

  • Like 1

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/06/2019 at 17:32, Phil said:

 Corfu is a particular favourite of ours

My auntie and uncle have lived in the north of the island, near Kassiopi, since the early 80's. 

They seem to like it! 

  • Like 2

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g499086-d647910-Reviews-Hotel_Kotva-Sunny_Beach_Burgas_Province.html#REVIEWS

 click on  the terrible reviews scroll down to the review by clare m from Newcastle- "your child belongs in the mountains"

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My step daughter has been to Caleta de Fuste with 14/9/5 year olds, they're going again this year and I've been invited to go with them next May. Seems there's loads of things to do (and not too spendy) and the kids loved it, especially the electric mopeds!

It's not far from the airport, the hotel she goes to is all inclusive and worked out at £306 incl flight for a week in May, though a bit more if you want to take a full size suitcase.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/06/2019 at 16:50, graveyard johnny said:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g499086-d647910-Reviews-Hotel_Kotva-Sunny_Beach_Burgas_Province.html#REVIEWS

 click on  the terrible reviews scroll down to the review by clare m from Newcastle- "your child belongs in the mountains"

My favourite tripadvisor review is this one:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d232877-r5950477-Hotel_Giada-Rome_Lazio.html

"The WC was clean, however the towels had bad smell , but worse then that it was when the towel of supposedly clean bath, brought of toast a monkey! Yes a monkey! I do not recommend this room to nobody "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/06/2019 at 18:46, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep.... Funnily enough one thought was Northern Spain/South East France and go to the second Catalan VS London match..... Getting that past her indoors might be a tough one considering how much grief I get for watching rugby/cricket the rest of the year

We went to SE France with small children many times. Depends on the interests of your 6/7 year olds, but my two boys loved the Toulouse Space City and Airbus factory tour at that age, the beach at Narbonne, the Petit Train Jaune into the Pyrenees (already mentioned), the massive safari park at Sigean, loads more things round there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JonM said:

We went to SE France with small children many times. Depends on the interests of your 6/7 year olds, but my two boys loved the Toulouse Space City and Airbus factory tour at that age, the beach at Narbonne, the Petit Train Jaune into the Pyrenees (already mentioned), the massive safari park at Sigean, loads more things round there.

Lovely. Yes they like Space things and animals!

Nice ideas thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...