Harry Archer

DavidM

Harry was a great Town halfback and a gent. He was a mate of my Dad's and used to give us a lift from Seaton to Town games when he owned the grocery store in Main road. R.I.P. Harry.  Looking back he rubbed shoulders with exalted company both domestically and on international duty. Brian Edgar , Ike Southward and Bill Wookey to name but three. 

9 hours ago, Seaton Sandy said:

Harry was a great Town halfback and a gent. He was a mate of my Dad's and used to give us a lift from Seaton to Town games when he owned the grocery store in Main road. R.I.P. Harry.  Looking back he rubbed shoulders with exalted company both domestically and on international duty. Brian Edgar , Ike Southward and Bill Wookey to name but three. 

Yep , used to see him often at catterick races . Still loved talking rugby ... “you do nowt without a good pack a forads  son !” 

My first Town match was in season 1961/62....and will always remember Town's top quality halfback pairing...Harry Archer and Sol Roper, a brilliant duo who outplayed all the visiting halfbacks in that era.

I recall during that season when Town were on the Wembley trail..they had a home quarter final tie versus Hull K. R. thirteen thousand fans eagerly anticipated a home win, including this excited schoolboy. But when the teams came over the tannoy the name of Harry Archer was missing through injury..no disrespect is intended to his replacement on that day...but the absence of star Archer probably cost Town a semi-final place??

Nonetheless I still have very many good memories of Harry Archer in the Town blue and white....so RIP Harry and thanks.

So sad to hear this news.  I had many a crack with Harry in Seaton before he moved back to Dearham. I was the village bobby back in the 70’s when Harry took over the village store on Main Road.  He was a great fella for a crack and he will always be a Town legend.  RIP Harry old friend. 

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Harry and Sol were the first half back pairing i watched even at a young age I knew I watching a class act. We have lost another one of the Town greats. Rip Harry and condolences to all his family. 

Archived