Leigh's unethical behaviour towards players

The players union and RFL really need to look in to this. At the end of last season Leigh or Derek Beaumont was pleading poverty and refusing to fulfil their player contracts. Most of the squad was dispanded on this basis. Now they reformed the team and are back on the player market trying to sign players. I understand they were trying to sign Junior Vaivai from KR and other players. In my view it's simple, if you are unable to fulfil player contracts then it should be treated in the same way as a club going into administration and points should be deducted. This is just not fair on players like Larroyer, Rhys Evans and other players who have mortgages and bills to pay. Are we seriously going to allow our players to be treated like this? Our players are our biggest asset and we must not allow them to be mistreated. Do the RFL have grounds to investigate?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

The players union and RFL really need to look in to this. At the end of last season Leigh or Derek Beaumont was pleading poverty and refusing to fulfil their player contracts. Most of the squad was dispanded on this basis. Now they reformed the team and are back on the player market trying to sign players. I understand they were trying to sign Junior Vaivai from KR and other players. In my view it's simple, if you are unable to fulfil player contracts then it should be treated in the same way as a club going into administration and points should be deducted. This is just not fair on players like Larroyer, Rhys Evans and other players who have mortgages and bills to pay. Are we seriously going to allow our players to be treated like this? Our players are our biggest asset and we must not allow them to be mistreated. Do the RFL have grounds to investigate?

Possibly ? , Maybe they already have ?

It's a bit late,now.

It was surprising that players returned to the club after the event.

https://twitter.com/BBCRMsport/status/1060239219375915008

With his company sponsoring the 1895 Cup it would seem everything is tickety-boo.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I agree with a strong players union certainly but without knowing the facts 100%,this thread seems like one of Adrian Durhams faux outrage spouts,have a day off lad,you come across more diddy than daddy

To be fair to him he is decent at spotting an opportunity. Its widely known that London will be losing a lot of players next season so if they don't manage to stay up this year will probably struggle to challenge for promotion. This is where Beaumont has spotted his opportunity if as expected Toronto go up then if he can put together a decent team in preparation for next season then it is a great chance for him to take his team back to SL. Obviously if none of it goes to plan I think a lot of us can guess at the alternatives.

12 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It's a bit late,now.

It was surprising that players returned to the club after the event.

https://twitter.com/BBCRMsport/status/1060239219375915008

With his company sponsoring the 1895 Cup it would seem everything is tickety-boo.

Has it occurred to people on here that maybe the reason players have been returning is that the assumptions being made here could be wide of the mark?

I get it, Beaumont is a massive, massive tool, but if we start banning every tool from the game for life just because people don't like them this board would be empty in a month.

14 hours ago, Bartholemew Smythe said:

Good to see all the usual suspects out in force tonight ? .

The haters will always hate.  So players returning to the place they were so badly treated?? Odd that isn't it especially as the 'villain' is still the owner.  Yes there were 'issues' with 2 players (one only played 4 games in 2 and a half years).  Others (9 or 10) were allowed to leave prior to the transfer deadline and thus found other clubs and were no worse off.  The couple of  hundred k wiped off the remaining wage bill for the year meant Leigh would still exist the following season AND did not need to go into administration, unlike Widnes whose troubles I suspect will commence again at the end of this season.  Seeing as some views on here are not based around actual facts allow me some guesswork of my own regarding the clubs situation at the end of 2018.  Faced with what was about to arise in the coming months I am pretty certain that Administration woud have been advised.  Whether this was advised is purely speculation and as brutal as some of the facts were. Someone did what they needed to do to ensure the people of Leigh had a club to support.  The 2019 aim was initially to avoid relegation but Duffy managed to pull together a squad with a bit of quality.

They have not done too bad considering the wage bill is now over a million less than 2018

Funny how the snowflakes only appear when Leigh have a bit of success.  Sorry, no, very very predictable

Here we go again .....

Demon, Am I correct in guessing that you have seen the supposed wage bill? or is it you believe everything that comes out of Mr. B,s mouth. And do not give me that the accounts will prove it, nonsense accounts show what they need to show.

1 hour ago, DemonUK said:

The haters will always hate.  So players returning to the place they were so badly treated?? Odd that isn't it especially as the 'villain' is still the owner.  Yes there were 'issues' with 2 players (one only played 4 games in 2 and a half years).  Others (9 or 10) were allowed to leave prior to the transfer deadline and thus found other clubs and were no worse off.  The couple of  hundred k wiped off the remaining wage bill for the year meant Leigh would still exist the following season AND did not need to go into administration, unlike Widnes whose troubles I suspect will commence again at the end of this season.  Seeing as some views on here are not based around actual facts allow me some guesswork of my own regarding the clubs situation at the end of 2018.  Faced with what was about to arise in the coming months I am pretty certain that Administration woud have been advised.  Whether this was advised is purely speculation and as brutal as some of the facts were. Someone did what they needed to do to ensure the people of Leigh had a club to support.  The 2019 aim was initially to avoid relegation but Duffy managed to pull together a squad with a bit of quality.

They have not done too bad considering the wage bill is now over a million less than 2018

Funny how the snowflakes only appear when Leigh have a bit of success.  Sorry, no, very very predictable

So you don't think Kevin Larroyer or Rhys Evans were treated unfairly? 

How about Derek going to the press and telling them that remaining on contract players should 'do the right thing' or words of that nature. You don't see anything wrong with that? 

Help me understand what went on there

19 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Beaumont never ran out of money. What he ran out of was 'enthusiasm' for a promotion push when it was clear that they were never going to achieve it.

Bang on!

Same old people crawl out of the woodwork when anything positive happens when Leigh are concerned.

He got the last 2 years wrong, he admitted it, he can do your head in at times but show me any team in Rugby League that seem to be happy with the way their club is run or who runs it other than Saints/Warrington.

Not racially abused anyone has he? not sacked his coach after 4 months has he? not signed a load of overpaid imports who haven't performed has he.......oh hang on a minute.

I'm pretty sure he did what Leeds are doing right about now!

1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

Demon, Am I correct in guessing that you have seen the supposed wage bill? or is it you believe everything that comes out of Mr. B,s mouth. And do not give me that the accounts will prove it, nonsense accounts show what they need to show.

Are you suggesting we are paying full cap for a part time team?

I think the fact you state that even if you were confronted with facts you would dismiss them as fake if they didn't conform to your biased assumptions says everything really.

I do find it amusing that most of the posters calling for Beaumonts head now also jumping to Argyles defence a couple of weeks back. 

Most snowflakes on here couldn't run a bath let alone a business, they all probably work for the state in some capacity and are protected against the real world. Derek understood that the income for 2019 would be insufficient to pay the contracts due to poor work performances in 2018. He had a clear out asap when this was confirmed, with most of the higher paid finding clubs for the play offs. This left Acton - who tore up his own contract, Evans - who was probably looking for the pad of blank sick notes his doc gives him and Larroyer - who carried on. The wage bill was shredded, a tiny budget based upon 1700 gates was set and we are averaging almost double that, hence cash left over. Close to 500 paid to be in corporate at a recent game, that is why we can add now, fans and sponsors backed the badge that 17 committed lads wear with pride every game. 

57 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Beaumont never ran out of money. What he ran out of was 'enthusiasm' for a promotion push when it was clear that they were never going to achieve it.

37 minutes ago, binosh said:

Bang on!

Same old people crawl out of the woodwork when anything positive happens when Leigh are concerned.

He got the last 2 years wrong, he admitted it, he can do your head in at times but show me any team in Rugby League that seem to be happy with the way their club is run or who runs it other than Saints/Warrington.

Not racially abused anyone has he? not sacked his coach after 4 months has he? not signed a load of overpaid imports who haven't performed has he.......oh hang on a minute. 

I'm pretty sure he did what Leeds are doing right about now! 

So this is the reason everyone has an issue..............no he didn't run out of money. Leeds are managing players in and out, but even if they are doing the same, the difference is they will honour any contractual agreements or seek a satisfactory solution................not just threaten to not pay players and go into administration. Beaumont threw his toys out the pram when things didn't go his way and he tried to worm out his commitments. Not very big or clever. Showed a real lack of maturity, integrity and ultimately he brought the game into disrepute for his actions. And what doesn't sit right with people, is that he's now decided he wants to throw money at it again, when it suits him.

People have sympathy for clubs like Widnes, who are in general financial strife..............that's the difference.

I very much doubt SL would want Leigh back in

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

There really was no need to make assumptions. Beaumont didn't hide what he did. He openly admitted it.

Frankly people do think he is a d1xk and with good reason. But leigh(and fev) got off lightly, what happened at the end of last season was pretty unbelievable and the game really didn't make enough of a big deal about it. 

Can you imagine a football team threatening to take the club in administration if players didn't accept less to the point where the club had to borrow players to complete the season and then just picking up where they left off the next year and signing players to try and push for promotion? 

What happened was absolutely nuts. It's incredible weakness that both clubs started the season in the championships its unbelievable that they didn't see a massive points deduction. I honestly cannot see how what happened at the back end of last year wasnt massively more damaging to the integrity of the game than widnes going bust

Do you know anything about what agreements were made with the players?

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

So this is the reason everyone has an issue..............no he didn't run out of money. Leeds are managing players in and out, but even if they are doing the same, the difference is they will honour any contractual agreements or seek a satisfactory solution................not just threaten to not pay players and go into administration. Beaumont threw his toys out the pram when things didn't go his way and he tried to worm out his commitments. Not very big or clever. Showed a real lack of maturity, integrity and ultimately he brought the game into disrepute for his actions. And what doesn't sit right with people, is that he's now decided he wants to throw money at it again, when it suits him.

People have sympathy for clubs like Widnes, who are in general financial strife..............that's the difference.

I very much doubt SL would want Leigh back in

He might not have run out of money, but he's admitted he didn't have enough to make up the shortfall in funding.

Action was taken before all the money ran out.

34 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

There really was no need to make assumptions. Beaumont didn't hide what he did. He openly admitted it.

Frankly people do think he is a d1xk and with good reason. But leigh(and fev) got off lightly, what happened at the end of last season was pretty unbelievable and the game really didn't make enough of a big deal about it. 

Can you imagine a football team threatening to take the club in administration if players didn't accept less to the point where the club had to borrow players to complete the season and then just picking up where they left off the next year and signing players to try and push for promotion? 

What happened was absolutely nuts. It's incredible weakness that both clubs started the season in the championships its unbelievable that they didn't see a massive points deduction. I honestly cannot see how what happened at the back end of last year wasnt massively more damaging to the integrity of the game than widnes going bust

The best post I've read on here in a long time and anyone that finds what went on at the end of last season acceptable needs to get their heads tested. 

28 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

The best post I've read on here in a long time and anyone that finds what went on at the end of last season acceptable needs to get their heads tested. 

Both Leigh and Fev had squads big enough to finish the season, too many injuries and the extra game was the issue during the recruitment ban as both clubs had given there all to make the 4

Archived