Swinton at Home

Heywood Tiger

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/07/2019 at 09:24, glemiln said:

Please outline these models and benefits for comparison. 

One big difference between Swinton and Hornets is we have a Chairman with loads of contacts across the amateur game, his ear to the ground in terms of players and other staff and board members with similar contacts and knowledge on how the professional game operates regarding agents, sponsors etc. I don't get the impression that the board at Rochdale bring anywhere near the same qualities.

Matty Ashton is a case in point. He's a Mayfield lad, why the hell was he not signed by Hornets? Instead he came to Swinton and he's one of the top scorers in the division with clubs in the Championship and Super League sniffing around. Frankie Halton another signed from the amateur game who has just signed a new contract after a very solid season. We wouldn't have these players without the contacts and relationships the board and coaching staff have with agents etc and the respect people in the game have for Stu.

Many thanks Colin for the example. I expect that Martin Hall with Matt Calland will provide the ear on the ground connections, along with additional general expertise when our new Board is announced after the upcoming AGM. ?

Anyone have an up-to-date list of our current contracted/loan players?  Little heard of locals: Hamlett, Coleman, Lees, Ashworth & Gleeson?

To be fair to Tyrone he/she may possibly have been part of the Board that sold the Crown Jewels for a decrease in rent on a stadium they won't be on in 2 years.

i do find it amazing that alleged RL fans are asking me to explain the Batley model.  Northern Rail cup winners, a ground which has been improved beyond recognition and a competitive team on the park, year on year

Kevin and the Board do the strategic message of attracting sponsors and if need be putting some finance in the club.  The volunteers sell raffle tickets organise a supporters bus not fill the team coach.  Batley and Swinton are ready for RFL money to be withdrawn, Hornets and Oldham are not.  

10 hours ago, Colin James said:

One big difference between Swinton and Hornets is we have a Chairman with loads of contacts across the amateur game, his ear to the ground in terms of players and other staff and board members with similar contacts and knowledge on how the professional game operates regarding agents, sponsors etc. I don't get the impression that the board at Rochdale bring anywhere near the same qualities.

Matty Ashton is a case in point. He's a Mayfield lad, why the hell was he not signed by Hornets? Instead he came to Swinton and he's one of the top scorers in the division with clubs in the Championship and Super League sniffing around. Frankie Halton another signed from the amateur game who has just signed a new contract after a very solid season. We wouldn't have these players without the contacts and relationships the board and coaching staff have with agents etc and the respect people in the game have for Stu.

To be fair our Chairman got most, if not all of this season's sponsorship himself.

11 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

To be fair to Tyrone he/she may possibly have been part of the Board that sold the Crown Jewels for a decrease in rent on a stadium they won't be on in 2 years.

i do find it amazing that alleged RL fans are asking me to explain the Batley model.  Northern Rail cup winners, a ground which has been improved beyond recognition and a competitive team on the park, year on year

Kevin and the Board do the strategic message of attracting sponsors and if need be putting some finance in the club.  The volunteers sell raffle tickets organise a supporters bus not fill the team coach.  Batley and Swinton are ready for RFL money to be withdrawn, Hornets and Oldham are not.  

The board didn't sell the shares. As I recall a vote was taken at a members meeting and it was passed overwhelmingly that the shares be relinquished. Apparently only one member voted not to release the shares.

I can't be absolutely certain about the details of the meeting because unfortunately I wasn't able to attend this meeting but that was what I was told later.  If I'm wrong I've no doubt that somebody will correct me.

I think the member who voted not to sell contributes to this board quite regularly.

13 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

i do find it amazing that alleged RL fans

I have followed Hornets and rl since around 1954 but have been a long way from the locality nearly 50 years. Still a distant member of the club....old habits = diehard.

I am aware of Batley’s competitiveness in recent times and of course success usually breeds more, but I am still not au fait with their management structure.  I am more concerned that Hornets get theirs right, with all that entails. ( Batley’s ground improvements still haven’t included their iconic slope and “Diskin out” still resonates - but nothing’s perfect).   I am pleased that your club is now set fair for any loss of central funding and good luck for the future, as Swinton or Manchester!

It is interesting how the share issue has been twisted over time.

The ‘new’ Hornets never had any shares in any stadium, the vote taken by Members was to agree with or try and block the sale by the RFL who had come into the shares because the ‘old’ Hornets had gone bump and had used the shares as collateral.

I wouldn’t like to think people are being deliberately disingenuous when posting that the new Hornets had shares, this is simply not true.

With regards to Batley and Hornets following that model, when we lost the Athletics Grounds that opportunity sailed and any chance of even a glimpse of that model went when the Old incarnation went to the wall, owing the RFL and by definition clubs like Batley and Swinton £100k+ and losing the shares.

Although we have moved away and don’t get to games the same we still follow the club. 

The last 9 or 10 years as a supporter club have been some of the best that we can remember. Not just the winning cups and stuff but the stability the club has enjoyed. From almost weekly bad news, unpaid rent, winding up orders etc and it was interesting reading an online piece by Ian Watson about Salford, Hornets fans of a certain age will remember what he put in the paper about his time with Hornets.

The club is a million times better than what it was.

All that said watching from afar the club seems to have lost direction in the last 12 months. 

But thinking of going back to a model that failed is time and again isn’t the answer in my humble opinion.

34 minutes ago, Bruce Almighty said:

It is interesting how the share issue has been twisted over time.

The ‘new’ Hornets never had any shares in any stadium, the vote taken by Members was to agree with or try and block the sale by the RFL who had come into the shares because the ‘old’ Hornets had gone bump and had used the shares as collateral.

I wouldn’t like to think people are being deliberately disingenuous when posting that the new Hornets had shares, this is simply not true.

With regards to Batley and Hornets following that model, when we lost the Athletics Grounds that opportunity sailed and any chance of even a glimpse of that model went when the Old incarnation went to the wall, owing the RFL and by definition clubs like Batley and Swinton £100k+ and losing the shares.

Although we have moved away and don’t get to games the same we still follow the club. 

The last 9 or 10 years as a supporter club have been some of the best that we can remember. Not just the winning cups and stuff but the stability the club has enjoyed. From almost weekly bad news, unpaid rent, winding up orders etc and it was interesting reading an online piece by Ian Watson about Salford, Hornets fans of a certain age will remember what he put in the paper about his time with Hornets.

The club is a million times better than what it was.

All that said watching from afar the club seems to have lost direction in the last 12 months. 

But thinking of going back to a model that failed is time and again isn’t the answer in my humble opinion.

Thanks for clearing that up. I presume the vote taken at the members meeting I referred to earlier was to give the RFL our blessing if they wanted to pass the shares over to the football club. 

I was under no illusion at the time regarding the intentions of the football club in giving us a fair shake in future dealings but the way the cards were stacked meant it was the better of two bad options.

16 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

Batley and Swinton have millionaire owners do they?

On 02/07/2019 at 12:39, Anita Bath said:

Well buying a seat on the board is better than being given one. How can you object to someone putting money into the club and then having a say in how its run when the current arrangement has folks being coopted on to the board.

The traditional board of directors run clubs seem to be doing OK at places like Batley.

I think that putting money in is not a valid reason for them having  their say in a rugby club, I could put a million pounds into the Boston Celtics I know nothing about basketball should i still say how the club is run?, no.

I Think the person who puts money in has a right to know what is happening with the money and evidence that the club is doing what it said it should. But should not have the right to determine who we bring into the squod or get rid of, what happens if a bigger benefactor comes in half way through the year do we stop listing to the first and the listen to the new one?. A backer should be chairman if it is a ceremonial  position and a deputy chair does the work and has the power. 

On 04/07/2019 at 15:00, mickhornet said:

Batley and Swinton have millionaire owners do they?

Our Chairman ain’t stuck for a quid or two and the board assembled at our place has some pretty wealthy and very shrewd business people on it including a former pro footballer and the ex Man Utd Brand Director.

All business owners and influencers and all putting time and cash in. Pretty smart model to be fair.

These fellas are not to be underestimated and ain’t playing at it. 

Good luck under your new community board ?

Archived