Swinton at Home

Heywood Tiger

Personally, what is the RFLs obsession with lower league rugby being played in a ground which holds 5 to 10k, but has 600 people in. Looks worse than playing in a small ground which holds less but looks more populated.

I was at Mayfield yesterday and with some updating would be a great ground for Hornets to play at in League 1.

Grants are available, and being involved as a coach at a Womans RU team, I know that running a womens setup opens up a grant avenue worth persuing. This would enable both clubs to improve facitiies and surely there is room for expansion

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/06/2019 at 08:02, RoryBel said:

Shows what kind of 'Chairman' he is, ranting on Social Media. Quite embarrassing for Swinton I think, not to mention very unprofessional. 

I bet if you asked the players on both teams what they want, the answer will be to play it. I've always said theres too many big dogs and political nonsense involved in this sport that is spoiling it. 

Looking forward to the game tomorrow 

He is the kind of Chairman you could maybe do with?? A passionate lad that leads from the front,  puts his money where his mouth is, and not only saved our club from extinction but has since put together a very capable board and has masterminded some of the best signings we’ve had in many years at Swinton Lions. All this on declining RFL central funding and through very difficult times.

I was in the club house after the game yesterday and to be fair he spoke on the microphone very respectfully towards Mayfield and the amateur game in general. Made it clear his frustration was with the RFL and the way the situation had been handled. He received a decent reception from the room.

Anyway we move on and we got the result we needed thankfully. Other results also went our way and we now sit joint 9th in the Championship despite being the lowest funded club In the competition and everyone’s favourites to go down.

Andy and his board will do for me ??

14 minutes ago, Rampant Lion 59 said:

He is the kind of Chairman you could maybe do with?? A passionate lad that leads from the front,  puts his money where his mouth is, and not only saved our club from extinction but has since put together a very capable board and has masterminded some of the best signings we’ve had in many years at Swinton Lions. All this on declining RFL central funding and through very difficult times.

I was in the club house after the game yesterday and to be fair he spoke on the microphone very respectfully towards Mayfield and the amateur game in general. Made it clear his frustration was with the RFL and the way the situation had been handled. He received a decent reception from the room.

Anyway we move on and we got the result we needed thankfully. Other results also went our way and we now sit joint 9th in the Championship despite being the lowest funded club In the competition and everyone’s favourites to go down.

Why is it these chancers seem to gravitate to rugby league ! What is about the game that attracts them ? I don't know the bloke personally but from what I hear he says one thing and does another. 

I suspect if the result had have gone the other way it would have been a different story altogether.

20 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Good game today, both sides gave it their all. I thought a draw would have been a fair result but we just came up a bit short. Our game management needs to improve. We need to respect the ball more and stop trying to score on every set of six and be content to build up pressure gradually.

Being pulled up for 3 forward passes inside the Swinton 25 in the first half killed our momentum. The ref spotted every one of our forward passes and he was right to do so but he seemed to miss any forward passes Swinton made. You couldn't fault the effort of all our guys, some of the lads from amateur rugby are starting the look the part now. 

The new French lad looked handy and scored a couple of good tries until Scott Moore pole axed him with a shocking tackle that only merited a yellow when a red was well deserved . Nothing new from Scott though, he always was a penalty machine.

I was encouraged today with our commitment , we made grievous errors on several occasions that cost us points but we never looked downhearted and always came back for more. I can see Matt's starting to have an effect now and a win can't be far off.

Can I also thank the Mayfield Club for their sterling efforts in enabling the game to go ahead and getting us out of a mess that wasn't of our choosing. It was a pleasure to be there. Thanks again from a Hornet. 

Would have to agree with most of this, think Marriott is becoming a great semi pro player. 

Mayfield, massive credit to them as a club.

regarding the Scott Moore comment, I see the frustration with his needless penalties but I do believe if Scott was still in a hornets shirt, we’d of come away with the 2 points yesterday.

45 minutes ago, Rampant Lion 59 said:

Agreed. From what I see, sometimes he does make it seem all about him. But on the other hand you can’t fault him for what he’s done at that club and how he runs it. I could only wish for us to have a CEO like him.

A down to earth assessment of our match day efforts/progress by Matt Calland.....https://t.co/6d2mlEKzz1

Cutting out our switching-off for periods and conceding back to back scores is one big priority.

A close result though against the improving Lions at a crucial stage of the season.

And as for Rampant Lion’s love-in....

1 hour ago, Rampant Lion 59 said:

Anyway we move on and we got the result we needed.

A passionate lad that leads from the front,  puts his money where his mouth is 

At least Swinton players obtained the result on the field of a  “sub-standard” facility AV disrespectfully referred to previously, without the aid of a microphone!

I think Hornets have had some egotistical people without money, without calling Vazey.  That deal giving the soccer club those shares have wrapped the club in tin foil.  Mayfield may not want Hornets invading their organised and not chaotic club.

55 minutes ago, Rampant Lion 59 said:

You have it right there. We desperately need a board of Directors who are prepared to put some money in the club and our forthcoming AGM will hopefully vote in a board that may entice our benefactor Paul Ormerod to come back to the club and lead us into a positive future, I am afraid without Paul's backing and guidance we are doomed.

22 minutes ago, RLfan99 said:

Would have to agree with most of this, think Marriott is becoming a great semi pro player. 

regarding the Scott Moore comment, I see the frustration with his needless penalties but I do believe if Scott was still in a hornets shirt, we’d of come away with the 2 points yesterday.

Unfortunately Scott Moore did not wish to be at Hornets, he deserted the sinking ship

He back tracked yesterday at Mayfield. I was also there. He had no alternative but to apologise. 

Anyway, close your door on the way out ??

1 hour ago, RLfan99 said:

He'd have had to have stopped on the pitch first. That " tackle " was a shocker,  as was the trip early in the game. The victim of the head shot was playing really well until he was taken out but he probably didn't know what day it was after that. A deliberate trip used to be a straight sending off offence followed by an 8 match suspension. Now all you get is 10 minutes on the bench.

42 minutes ago, Athleticgrounds said:

You have it right there. We desperately need a board of Directors who are prepared to put some money in the club and our forthcoming AGM will hopefully vote in a board that may entice our benefactor Paul Ormerod to come back to the club and lead us into a positive future, I am afraid without Paul's backing and guidance we are doomed.

We can't keep expecting people to be throwing large sums of money at the club. It's not sustainable in the long run. When their pockets are empty what do you do then ? How many clubs have hit the buffers when the money people decide they've had enough ?

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We can't keep expecting people to be throwing large sums of money at the club. It's not sustainable in the long run. When their pockets are empty what do you do then ? How many clubs have hit the buffers when the money people decide they've had enough ?

I'm afraid then, there will be no club .I am not talking about vast amounts of money, but there has to be some sort of financial input, since Paul left all we hear about are problems at board level. The only board member you ever see is the chairman, who I understand does his best There is no direction or stability at the moment, this can't continue, if the likes of Swinton ,Batley and Barrow can survive then surely Hornets can do the same, however it needs aboard in harmony and not at each others throats

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That is how sport is now I’m afraid. Money talks, money brings success (99% of the time). It’s all about money and if you don’t have any or don’t bring any into the club then the club won’t survive.

We need a board of directors that all have individual roles within the club (advertisement/fund raising etc) and also put a fraction of money into the club for being apart of the club and to call themselves a “director of Rochdale hornets”.

Thats how many other small clubs run and operate. All I see with us now is a full time ceo not doing a great deal, or should I say... not doing a great deal in the public eye which we’d all like to see. And no main backer anymore.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

But you cannot have individuals on a B.O.D.who think organising a raffle or playing Billy big b@ll@ks as a private landlord is the answer either.

28 minutes ago, Larry Jones said:

But you cannot have individuals on a B.O.D.who think organising a raffle or playing Billy big b@ll@ks as a private landlord is the answer either.

Well the answer to that one is simple, put yourself forward for election to the board.  If you get enough votes you'll be a director and you can start emptying your bank account on the club's behalf.

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well the answer to that one is simple, put yourself forward for election to the board.  If you get enough votes you'll be a director and you can start emptying your bank account on the club's behalf.

The whole point is the member led board is not sustainable.  Basically we have volunteers trying and failing to run a semi-pro club. The ill thought out surrender of the stadium and then thinking the footie club would play fair, what turkeys voted for that one?  I personally wouldn't want to put any money other than turnstile money into the current set up. Compare and contrast Hornets with the Batley model and even the current Swinton model.  Hornets and Oldham are not run in my opinion for the Boroughs they represent it is far more condensed.  

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Surly there is a happy medium here that the supporters can expect. I don't think anyone should be expected to empty their bank account - but being a Director has a financial implication attached to it - otherwise just be a volunteer.

If every Director going forward brought in / had to raise 5k minimum that's 50k for players. What a boost that would be.

How can a Director keep asking people for money and then not tipping up themselves. It has no credibility that model -  nor does it make any sense whatsoever.

I find it astonishing how you dumb down the importance of money - its' a semi pro RL club that generates a wage bill and on costs.  

Selling raffle tickets / pens and pencils is great and much needed but it doesn't cut it when trying to compete with Batley, Dewsbury, York etc - its time to talk money at Hornets and how its going to be brought in and raised.

Anyhow something needs to change that's for sure.

Sorry for any typos (specs at home)

55 minutes ago, Hornets Nest said:

Surly there is a happy medium here that the supporters can expect. I don't think anyone should be expected to empty their bank account - but being a Director has a financial implication attached to it - otherwise just be a volunteer.

If every Director going forward brought in / had to raise 5k minimum that's 50k for players. What a boost that would be.

How can a Director keep asking people for money and then not tipping up themselves. It has no credibility that model -  nor does it make any sense whatsoever.

I find it astonishing how you dumb down the importance of money - its' a semi pro RL club that generates a wage bill and on costs.  

Selling raffle tickets / pens and pencils is great and much needed but it doesn't cut it when trying to compete with Batley, Dewsbury, York etc - its time to talk money at Hornets and how its going to be brought in and raised.

Anyhow something needs to change that's for sure.

Sorry for any typos (specs at home)

Let's cut to the chase here - what you're saying is these directors should be allowed to buy a seat on the board. They obviously don't think they can get elected or they'd be standing for election. Why is that I wonder ?

How many people have £5k to throw at the team? Will these directors have another £5k next season and maybe £7.5k the season after that. 

When they've got tired of chucking money at the club and they bail out as they invariably do, will the volounteers be expected to step back in and sort out the mess ?

35 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Let's cut to the chase here - what you're saying is these directors should be allowed to buy a seat on the board. They obviously don't think they can get elected or they'd be standing for election. Why is that I wonder ?

How many people have £5k to throw at the team? Will these directors have another £5k next season and maybe £7.5k the season after that. 

When they've got tired of chucking money at the club and they bail out as they invariably do, will the volounteers be expected to step back in and sort out the mess ?

If you read the second paragraph properly that would be helpful.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well buying a seat on the board is better than being given one. How can you object to someone putting money into the club and then having a say in how its run when the current arrangement has folks being coopted on to the board.

The traditional board of directors run clubs seem to be doing OK at places like Batley.

Archived