Swinton v Batley

Batley Bob

On 07/07/2019 at 22:39, Graham Greaves said:

When 10 pts. up late in the second half we turned down the chance of 2 easy points. Kicking the goal meant we would have taken a point. Stupid descition.....

Eight points up early in the second half, Barrow took the opposite option and got 2 easy points from a penalty goal. Stupid decision; had they taken a tap, momentum would have seen them score and likely won the game. 

Just shows there’s no knowing which decision is right until after the event. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

6 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

Wigan did well this week

Just a bit of background to this 

It's the first time this season we had so many 

We lost  Will Hope (captain)Ben Austin (vice captain ) at the start of the season to season ending injuries . 

Then we lost Mike Ratu to a serious injury . He made a comeback a month ago and suffered a serious injury and retired . We also lost Ryan Gray who is only just fit after injury the first game of the season.

We signed Jamie Acton to replace the two Hope and Austin but he sustained a season ending injury after 2 games and had to retire. 

We had Liam Forsyth on season long loan from Wigan  who was subsequently released by Wigan and signed for Leigh and has scored 8 in 4 for Leigh. He was brought in to cover for Ratu and Gray. 

And we signed Oscar Thomas who suffers from the inability to make any effort!

So I know most teams have injuries but weve had it hard.

Plus we have 2 players in the top 3 try scorers.

Mike Butt signed from Broughton Park RU

Matty Ashton signed from Mayfield 

Our try scorers against Batley were all Swinton players. 

And the result stands ??

Good luck Batley.  One of my favourite opposition teams and sets of fans 

On 07/07/2019 at 22:39, Graham Greaves said:

When 10 pts. up late in the second half we turned down the chance of 2 easy points. Kicking the goal meant we would have taken a point. Stupid descition. We just do not have the point scoring in this years team to win matches. Born out by the stats we are the second lowest point scoring team in the championship Also at the risk of opening a new can of worms I think we are lacking in the fitness dept. 2 to 3 tries for the current bulldogs per match seems the norm. Big improvement needed or our long standing stay in the championship will be over. Well done and good luck Swinton you outplayed us today.

I wasn't there Graham, but it seems to me that in the match situation described then it makes great sense to take the two.  And with the advantage of hindsight, a drop goal to follow would have meant Swinton having to score three times to win.  

We really are clueless, and that's what Diskin refers to as bad game management, we don't know how to make opponents suffer. I'm currently re re-reading Underdogs, and there's a comment made by Patch Walker, with which I wholeheartedly agree (and have screamed incessantly at our players!!); you should always come away from your opponents 20 with something. If you decide to play and lose control of the ball, you are giving your opponent every chance of making progress, either from a poor kick, a scrum etc. If you come away with a penalty or a drop goal YOU are getting the ball back, and believe me, your opponent will get really sick of having to keep kicking off back to you. 

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 00:00, Crown Flatter said:

Eight points up early in the second half, Barrow took the opposite option and got 2 easy points from a penalty goal. Stupid decision; had they taken a tap, momentum would have seen them score and likely won the game. 

Just shows there’s no knowing which decision is right until after the event. 

In this case I know it would have been the correct decision. About 12 mins left 12 pts up . They would not have scored 3 times. We would have had at least a draw. Their heads would have dropped knowing that scoring twice would not win the game.

The extra 2 points could have made a difference but Swinton were 20-18 for 7 minutes. I'd ask the question as to why you were unable to put any significant pressure on the Swinton line rather than saying Swinton wouldn't have scored 3 tries if 12 points behind. We (Swinton) looked the more likely to score in the last 7 mins and very nearly did so through Halton (another signing from the amateur game).

I think Batley have enough to stay up this season. 2 wins should be enough, possibly even 1. However, a few signings will be required before 2020. 

Good luck for the rest of the season chaps. I hope both Swinton and Batley maintain their Championship status for 2020. 

Why do supporters bleat on about injuries? Injuries are just part of the game. Most teams have a 25+ player squad so usually can field 17 fit players which is equal with the opposition, the players might not be first choice but to be in the squad they must be considered first team material if not why are they at the club.

Batley can argue that they had 3 casualties during the match (one from what looked like a horrendous loosely described tackle) but again it is part of the game.

As far as Acton is concerned it is a pity he did not retire 10 years ago.

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

On 09/07/2019 at 19:18, Mark R said:

Just a bit of background to this 

It's the first time this season we had so many 

We lost  Will Hope (captain)Ben Austin (vice captain ) at the start of the season to season ending injuries . 

Then we lost Mike Ratu to a serious injury . He made a comeback a month ago and suffered a serious injury and retired . We also lost Ryan Gray who is only just fit after injury the first game of the season.

We signed Jamie Acton to replace the two Hope and Austin but he sustained a season ending injury after 2 games and had to retire. 

We had Liam Forsyth on season long loan from Wigan  who was subsequently released by Wigan and signed for Leigh and has scored 8 in 4 for Leigh. He was brought in to cover for Ratu and Gray. 

And we signed Oscar Thomas who suffers from the inability to make any effort!

So I know most teams have injuries but weve had it hard.

Plus we have 2 players in the top 3 try scorers.

Mike Butt signed from Broughton Park RU

Matty Ashton signed from Mayfield 

Our try scorers against Batley were all Swinton players. 

And the result stands ??

Good luck Batley.  One of my favourite opposition teams and sets of fans 

A good post. With facts and insight throughout. I wish more people posted like that.

19 hours ago, ernieone said:

Why do supporters bleat on about injuries? Injuries are just part of the game. Most teams have a 25+ player squad so usually can field 17 fit players which is equal with the opposition, the players might not be first choice but to be in the squad they must be considered first team material if not why are they at the club.

Batley can argue that they had 3 casualties during the match (one from what looked like a horrendous loosely described tackle) but again it is part of the game.

As far as Acton is concerned it is a pity he did not retire 10 years ago.

Only bleating on in response to someone else bleating on . 

My post clearly outlines 6 long term losses to a squad of 23. Try replacing them at the start of a season when everyone is already signed up. 

You can dismiss my argument,  that's fine. 

All the best for the season 

I hope you stay up too and we enjoy many more close matches .

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 20:46, Bryce said:

The extra 2 points could have made a difference but Swinton were 20-18 for 7 minutes. I'd ask the question as to why you were unable to put any significant pressure on the Swinton line rather than saying Swinton wouldn't have scored 3 tries if 12 points behind. We (Swinton) looked the more likely to score in the last 7 mins and very nearly did so through Halton (another signing from the amateur game).

I think Batley have enough to stay up this season. 2 wins should be enough, possibly even 1. However, a few signings will be required before 2020. 

Good luck for the rest of the season chaps. I hope both Swinton and Batley maintain their Championship status for 2020. 

In the last seven minutes we were out on our feet and you are correct Swinton were the team looking like they would win. That is where fitness comes in and that is a different kettle of fish. We are not in my opinion the fittest Batley team I have seen. I still believe the 2pts. would have secured at least a draw.

Archived