Rugby League World - Have you got it?

spacer.png

In this month’s Rugby League World, we look at the recruitment going on in Super League and the Championship as clubs vie for the best players to strengthen their squads whilst also keeping a close eye on their salary caps. Our mole has the lowdown on the biggest deals due to be sealed by all 12 Super League and all 14 Championship clubs. Grab your copy this Friday to see who’s coming and going.

Also inside, Leeds Rhinos hooker Brad Dwyer answers your questions in our latest Q & A and puts to bed those persistent rumours about his parentage!

Former Wakefield, Wigan, Bradford and Harlequins legend Henry Paul looks back on his Rugby League career and tells us he’d be keen to return in a coaching capacity if the right offer came up.

Luke Gale defends Wayne Bennett’s international selection policy and is looking to get back on the field himself before the end of the season.

We put together our latest Combined XIII which this month covers the mighty Merseyside area that fuels St Helens’ success.

Former Saints hero Jon Wilkin chalks up 500 games and tells us about the different challenges of playing in the Championship with promotion favourites Toronto Wolfpack.

Dane Chisholm lifts the lid on his sudden switch from Bradford Bulls to Featherstone Rovers and in League 1, we chat to London Skolars coach Jermaine Coleman about the club’s rise up the league ladder this season and look back at the first 20 years of Coventry Bears.

As always, we have a packed international section with stories from Norway, Scotland, France, Australia and Wales, plus our unrivalled focus on the women’s game with an in-depth chat to Featherstone’s Andrea Dobson about her decision to call time on her England career.

All this and loads more in the July issue, on sale Friday 28th June - find your nearest stockist here.

Order the print edition (single issue of subscription) at www.totalrl.com/shop or download the digital edition from midnight tonight via the Rugby League World app or at www.totalrl.com/rlw

The online edition is available now at www.totalrl.com/rlw 

Print subscription copies are in the post and winging their way to subscribers as I write and should (hopefully) be thudding onto doorsteps promptly.

And it'll be in shops tomorrow (Fri 28th June).

We hope you'll get a copy one way or another, we hope you'll enjoy it, and we await your feedback!

• John Drake changed the title to Something for the weekend...

I bought my copy on Friday, and at first glance it didn't do much for me. I picked up again this morning, and actually, it's not a bad issue. 

The main feature, the recruitment guide, was a good read. Other plusses were the articles on Coventry, Skolars, Henry Paul and all the international stuff.

Negatives are another rubbish cover, the dull and unfunny Random League, the Combined XIII, mascot moments, team of the month x 3, samey player interviews, out of focus photos and odd cartoony fonts.

All in all it was £4.50 well spent.

What I'd like to see... our sport has a rich history, and a history pre-SL, and RLW pretty much ignores it. A few pages a month on great games and great players wouldn't go amiss.  Big opportunity coming up with the Lions tour. 

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World - Have you got it?
On 30/06/2019 at 14:14, Number 16 said:

I bought my copy on Friday, and at first glance it didn't do much for me. I picked up again this morning, and actually, it's not a bad issue. 

The main feature, the recruitment guide, was a good read. Other plusses were the articles on Coventry, Skolars, Henry Paul and all the international stuff.

Negatives are another rubbish cover, the dull and unfunny Random League, the Combined XIII, mascot moments, team of the month x 3, samey player interviews, out of focus photos and odd cartoony fonts.

All in all it was £4.50 well spent.

What I'd like to see... our sport has a rich history, and a history pre-SL, and RLW pretty much ignores it. A few pages a month on great games and great players wouldn't go amiss.  Big opportunity coming up with the Lions tour. 

One of the things I think other sports magazines could learn from is a When Saturday Comes idea of publishing either a league table or set of results from a specific date or season and then talking about what was interesting about them, which players and clubs had an impact, and where are some of the key personnel now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived