28 Jun: SL: Warrington Wolves v St Helens KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/06/19 at 18:45

1 minute ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Saints living a charmed life this year!

Wire were dominant and, even without the rub, should have won at a canter.

Tense entertainment. Wire should have backed themselves more and would have won. They didn't.

The lack of offloads to Clark was surprising, he has been on fire.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The lack of offloads to Clark was surprising, he has been on fire.

The whole 2nd half was surprising, I don't understand the thinking behind the tactic of going basic, especially as saints did the complete opposite. 

5 minutes ago, Bod said:

20 minute first half blitz and Warrington were done, It took them 75 min to get anywhere near crossing the Saints line.

When we were in the Saints red zone we had innovative plays like a dire kick on the 2nd tackle and a pass to Currie on the 5th to simply take a tackle.

It ain't good enough tactically.

I've had nagging doubts about Warrington's forwards  for some time, and tonight proved why.

This team is basically an outstanding set of backs who are holding the side together. Put it another way, if you mixed up all of the Saints and Wire forwards and picked the best pack you would really only have Daryl Clarke in it from Warrington. Admittedly,  Sita put in a shift this evening, but there's something lacking elsewhere.

I mean, Chris Hill a couple of seasons ago was one of the best, hardest working forwards in the game. Of late he looks perpetually  angry, like a penalty vending machine. In contrast, Luke Thompson has strength, pace and a calm head.

Wire could do a lot worse than recalling Livett and Luis and shipping out some others who are there on reputation, not merit. Maybe Burrell needs to start thinking about being a second row rather than centre, too.

Just now, dkw said:

The whole 2nd half was surprising, I don't understand the thinking behind the tactic of going basic, especially as saints did the complete opposite. 

We weren't any better tactically in the first, but the penalty count was more even and Saints were converting poorly.

Saints tightened up and we kept giving penalties meaning we got little ball.

But when we did have it, we were happy to stroke it into touch on the last.

1 minute ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

I've had nagging doubts about Warrington's forwards  for some time, and tonight proved why.

This team is basically an outstanding set of backs who are holding the side together. Put it another way, if you mixed up all of the Saints and Wire forwards and picked the best pack you would really only have Daryl Clarke in it from Warrington. Admittedly,  Sita put in a shift this evening, but there's something lacking elsewhere.

I mean, Chris Hill a couple of seasons ago was one of the best, hardest working forwards in the game. Of late he looks perpetually  angry, like a penalty vending machine. In contrast, Luke Thompson has strength, pace and a calm head.

Wire could do a lot worse than recalling Livett and Luis and shipping out some others who are there on reputation, not merit. Maybe Burrell needs to start thinking about being a second row rather than centre, too.

I'm not sure the forwards are the issue imho.

7 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Come on, Dave! No one would pick Cooper and Hill over Walmsley and Thompson. I wish it were different, but it's the truth. 

But what did the backs do? Or what did they do at OT or Wembley last year?

Imho the forwards are laying a decent platform.

6 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Come on, Dave! No one would pick Cooper and Hill over Walmsley and Thompson. I wish it were different, but it's the truth. 

Wire were dominant no question, they just thought they should play Grand Final nip and tuck rugby and forgot it's a dry track and not early October.

Add to that the charmed 2019 life Saints seem to have and we get tonight's game.

6 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Wire were dominant no question, they just thought they should play Grand Final nip and tuck rugby and forgot it's a dry track and not early October.

Add to that the charmed 2019 life Saints seem to have and we get tonight's game.

Didn't look that clear cut to me. Yes, we came out all guns blazing as you would expect given the adrenaline. But Saints just got better up front. The scoreline proves it.

I'm not saying that Warrington's forwards are collectively 'poor', it's just that they aren't collectively top-5 'good'. Moreover, given that they are amongst SL's most 'athletic' they should be making hay on a warm June evening. The issue, I feel, is that they just aren't as cool-headed as many of their contemporaries.

Really pleasing win. That game reminded me a lot of the play off match last year, except this time we held our nerve when it got tight.

Wire came out with great determination and we did well to hold their charge in the first 20. 

I didn't think Wire had too many clear cut chances, which is credit to our defence. We nullified Austin for the second time this year.

I didn't think we had much chance when Smith went off, leaving us one sub short and without a recognised hooker.

Walmsley's final spell was the game changer for me. He caused significant problems.

The game was entertaining and generally of a good quality. There were some errors and the difference was probably that we were the more ruthless in punishing them.

Good to be 2 from 2 over Wire. We should now finish top, giving us two shots at home at Old Trafford, which hopefully even we could win one of them given our record!

This win was nice but the league structure puts it all on the line at the end. We're in a good place, let's hope we can do it when it matters too!

9 hours ago, Ullman said:

Without getting into the many talking points, that was a great game to watch from a neutral perspective.

Yes, whilst I was disappointed with our tactics, and have been for 18 months, I cant fault the effort and the players putti g their bodies on the lines. This was a full blooded derby in front of a large noisy crowd, well done all involved!

12 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Saints living a charmed life this year!

Wire were dominant and, even without the rub, should have won at a canter.

Tense entertainment. Wire should have backed themselves more and would have won. They didn't.

Really !!

Wire rarely bothered the Saints try line all night. It was 3 Try's to 1 and even without the dubious Percival try Saints created chance after chance, Grace just with a toe on the touchline and 3 dropped balls with the line open.

Wire dominated field position for long periods, particularly in the 1st half but didn't have the skills to convert that into try scoring chances.

When they needed him most, yet again Austin went missing in the big game where as when Saints needed them, several of their big game players (Walmsley, Thompson, Makinson & Lomax) stepped up. Lomax got the MOM I think because of a few crucial plays, but for me Makinson with the MOM. His work all night on clearing our lines was superb and made valuable metres when the team needed them most.

Overall, entertaining game with both teams giving 100%, Wire must be gutted to throw so much at it and come away with nothing again.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

16 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Really !!

Wire rarely bothered the Saints try line all night. It was 3 Try's to 1 and even without the dubious Percival try Saints created chance after chance, Grace just with a toe on the touchline and 3 dropped balls with the line open.

Wire dominated field position for long periods, particularly in the 1st half but didn't have the skills to convert that into try scoring chances.

When they needed him most, yet again Austin went missing in the big game where as when Saints needed them, several of their big game players (Walmsley, Thompson, Makinson & Lomax) stepped up. Lomax got the MOM I think because of a few crucial plays, but for me Makinson with the MOM. His work all night on clearing our lines was superb and made valuable metres when the team needed them most.

Overall, entertaining game with both teams giving 100%, Wire must be gutted to throw so much at it and come away with nothing again.

Those semi finals really smart don't they 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Those semi finals really smart don't they 

What's last season got to do with it. Saints won the hubcap and Wire won nothing

This year you've played Saints twice and lost twice with your 'star player' going missing on both occasions.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

51 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Really !!

I know you're just poking the Wire fans really, but they did dominate for large parts as you say. 

They made poor choices kicking for two when conditions were perfect for expansive rugby. 

Saints benefited from the yellow card too, as well as few dubious decisions. It doesn't take much to swing a game against the play.

Anyway, I dont know what all the fuss is about, everyone knows the Rhinos will win it from 5th again!

Seriously though, best two teams in the league this year by a mile.

Archived