Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

28 Jun: SL: Warrington Wolves v St Helens KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

28 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • St Helens

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/06/19 at 18:45

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Great game that, difference in the 2nd half was saints tried to win it, wire tried not to lose it, strange tactic from wire. 

Negativity rarely wins through in RL.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Saints living a charmed life this year!

Wire were dominant and, even without the rub, should have won at a canter.

Tense entertainment. Wire should have backed themselves more and would have won. They didn't.

The lack of offloads to Clark was surprising, he has been on fire.

20 minute first half blitz and Warrington were done, It took them 75 min to get anywhere near crossing the Saints line.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The lack of offloads to Clark was surprising, he has been on fire.

The whole 2nd half was surprising, I don't understand the thinking behind the tactic of going basic, especially as saints did the complete opposite. 

5 minutes ago, Bod said:

20 minute first half blitz and Warrington were done, It took them 75 min to get anywhere near crossing the Saints line.

When we were in the Saints red zone we had innovative plays like a dire kick on the 2nd tackle and a pass to Currie on the 5th to simply take a tackle.

It ain't good enough tactically.

I've had nagging doubts about Warrington's forwards  for some time, and tonight proved why.

This team is basically an outstanding set of backs who are holding the side together. Put it another way, if you mixed up all of the Saints and Wire forwards and picked the best pack you would really only have Daryl Clarke in it from Warrington. Admittedly,  Sita put in a shift this evening, but there's something lacking elsewhere.

I mean, Chris Hill a couple of seasons ago was one of the best, hardest working forwards in the game. Of late he looks perpetually  angry, like a penalty vending machine. In contrast, Luke Thompson has strength, pace and a calm head.

Wire could do a lot worse than recalling Livett and Luis and shipping out some others who are there on reputation, not merit. Maybe Burrell needs to start thinking about being a second row rather than centre, too.

• Confused 1

Horrendously negative from Wire and I think it cost them. Pleasing to beat them with our 3rd choice hooker and playing the entire match with 3 subs bodes well for our fitness. I still feel like we need an actual halfback though.

On another note, Austin is the most overrated player in Super League. Absolute flat track bully.

Edited by Saint 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, dkw said:

The whole 2nd half was surprising, I don't understand the thinking behind the tactic of going basic, especially as saints did the complete opposite. 

We weren't any better tactically in the first, but the penalty count was more even and Saints were converting poorly.

Saints tightened up and we kept giving penalties meaning we got little ball.

But when we did have it, we were happy to stroke it into touch on the last.

1 minute ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

I've had nagging doubts about Warrington's forwards  for some time, and tonight proved why.

This team is basically an outstanding set of backs who are holding the side together. Put it another way, if you mixed up all of the Saints and Wire forwards and picked the best pack you would really only have Daryl Clarke in it from Warrington. Admittedly,  Sita put in a shift this evening, but there's something lacking elsewhere.

I mean, Chris Hill a couple of seasons ago was one of the best, hardest working forwards in the game. Of late he looks perpetually  angry, like a penalty vending machine. In contrast, Luke Thompson has strength, pace and a calm head.

Wire could do a lot worse than recalling Livett and Luis and shipping out some others who are there on reputation, not merit. Maybe Burrell needs to start thinking about being a second row rather than centre, too.

I'm not sure the forwards are the issue imho.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Come on, Dave! No one would pick Cooper and Hill over Walmsley and Thompson. I wish it were different, but it's the truth. 

But what did the backs do? Or what did they do at OT or Wembley last year?

Imho the forwards are laying a decent platform.

A totally different incident in the game (which you might need to watch in slow motion) .. and maybe it's a bit pedantic, but ....

Prior to Saints' second try, a high kick was put up and the Warrington full-back went to catch it, with the Saints' players running towards him. The full-back got his hands to the ball, which then slightly jumped up out of his hands and he was then tackled while not actually in possession (OK, the ball was only an inch or two up from his hands and the Saints' player was committed to the tackle). The ball then actually hit the Saints' player's head and went forward, whereupon another Saints' player took it and scored.

Yes, the Saints' player didn't deliberately head the ball forward but neither do players deliberately knock-on, yet a scrum is still given.

The referee gave the try without consulting the video ref. However, could there have been a case in favour of Warrington for the full-back being tackled without the ball and also for the Saints' player heading the ball forward ?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Come on, Dave! No one would pick Cooper and Hill over Walmsley and Thompson. I wish it were different, but it's the truth. 

Wire were dominant no question, they just thought they should play Grand Final nip and tuck rugby and forgot it's a dry track and not early October.

Add to that the charmed 2019 life Saints seem to have and we get tonight's game.

1 minute ago, RL does what Sky says said:

A totally different incident in the game (which you might need to watch in slow motion) .. and maybe it's a bit pedantic, but ....

Prior to Saints' second try, a high kick was put up and the Warrington full-back went to catch it, with the Saints' players running towards him. The full-back got his hands to the ball, which then slightly jumped up out of his hands and he was then tackled while not actually in possession (OK, the ball was only an inch or two up from his hands and the Saints' player was committed to the tackle). The ball then actually hit the Saints' player's head and went forward, whereupon another Saints' player took it and scored.

Yes, the Saints' player didn't deliberately head the ball forward but neither do players deliberately knock-on, yet a scrum is still given.

The referee gave the try without consulting the video ref. However, could there have been a case in favour of Warrington for the full-back being tackled without the ball and also for the Saints' player heading the ball forward ?

I don't think there is a case for tackling without the ball, but I have seen people mention the fact it came off Lomax, I'm not too sure on whether accidental headers are an issue tbh.

2 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Is that a wind up?!

I thought the double whammy of Hughes’ carelessness/stupidity and the forward pass try within a couple of minutes were decisive in separating 2 even teams. I don’t think Wire should be too down hearted. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't think there is a case for tackling without the ball, but I have seen people mention the fact it came off Lomax, I'm not too sure on whether accidental headers are an issue tbh.

RL Laws of the Game:

Section 10 (Knock on and forward passes)

Heading the ball 4. It is illegal to head the ball in a forward direction.

It doesn't differentiate between deliberate and accidentally.

6 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Wire were dominant no question, they just thought they should play Grand Final nip and tuck rugby and forgot it's a dry track and not early October.

Add to that the charmed 2019 life Saints seem to have and we get tonight's game.

Didn't look that clear cut to me. Yes, we came out all guns blazing as you would expect given the adrenaline. But Saints just got better up front. The scoreline proves it.

I'm not saying that Warrington's forwards are collectively 'poor', it's just that they aren't collectively top-5 'good'. Moreover, given that they are amongst SL's most 'athletic' they should be making hay on a warm June evening. The issue, I feel, is that they just aren't as cool-headed as many of their contemporaries.

35 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

On another note, Austin is the most overrated player in Super League. Absolute flat track bully.

Not sure about that. Put it this way, if he had got injured long term tonight we would probably find ourselves in a dogfight just to make the play offs.

25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But what did the backs do? Or what did they do at OT or Wembley last year?

Imho the forwards are laying a decent platform.

Well, Charnley and Lineham seemed to be doing most of the donkey work getting away from our own line.

Really pleasing win. That game reminded me a lot of the play off match last year, except this time we held our nerve when it got tight.

Wire came out with great determination and we did well to hold their charge in the first 20. 

I didn't think Wire had too many clear cut chances, which is credit to our defence. We nullified Austin for the second time this year.

I didn't think we had much chance when Smith went off, leaving us one sub short and without a recognised hooker.

Walmsley's final spell was the game changer for me. He caused significant problems.

The game was entertaining and generally of a good quality. There were some errors and the difference was probably that we were the more ruthless in punishing them.

Good to be 2 from 2 over Wire. We should now finish top, giving us two shots at home at Old Trafford, which hopefully even we could win one of them given our record!

This win was nice but the league structure puts it all on the line at the end. We're in a good place, let's hope we can do it when it matters too!

• Like 3

The Tryline Blog - http://thetryline.blogspot.com/ - Twitter - @TrylineBlog
Latest Blog - "The Demise of Bradford Bulls - From Wests Tigers to West Wales - Next Stop: Dewsbury

Without getting into the many talking points, that was a great game to watch from a neutral perspective.

• Like 5

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

21 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

RL Laws of the Game:

Section 10 (Knock on and forward passes)

Heading the ball 4. It is illegal to head the ball in a forward direction.

It doesn't differentiate between deliberate and accidentally.

It didn't hit his head, it came off his shoulder. Which, for me, is a knock-on, given it went forwards. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I thought the double whammy of Hughes’ carelessness/stupidity and the forward pass try within a couple of minutes were decisive in separating 2 even teams. I don’t think Wire should be too down hearted.