Leeds Disgusting treatment of players & coaches.

Leeds have basically moved a coach and his family around the world only to give him a few months in the job, they have also told players they are not wanted even though they have also moved their families and relocated.

Garbutt found out he wasn't wanted via a tweet, Purcell has been frozen out, Watkins has been suffering with depression over the way Leeds have treated him and now Lolohea has been told he is surplus to requirements and all this before July!!!

Do the RFL not have a duty of care to these employees of Rugby League?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd add we've treated some players terribly.

Just off the top of my head to add to this list.

Keinhorst - let go for no apparent reason never given credit by the higher ups. People's champion!

Golding - what has he done to upset someone at the club, gone from England academy captain and FB to being binned off at Fev.

Sutcliffe - I don't rate him that much but he's been passed from pillar to post and had his talent squandered by making him a utility. Taken advantage of by the club.

Flipside is some players seem to be able to do no wrong! It was obvious McDermott had his favourites but its a real shame this seems to have continued into the new era (although it was less so under Furner I felt). Must be so frustrating for the players it is for us fans.

20 minutes ago, binosh said:

Leeds have basically moved a coach and his family around the world only to give him a few months in the job, they have also told players they are not wanted even though they have also moved their families and relocated.

Garbutt found out he wasn't wanted via a tweet, Purcell has been frozen out, Watkins has been suffering with depression over the way Leeds have treated him and now Lolohea has been told he is surplus to requirements and all this before July!!!

Leeds are doing what they think is right for the club. Only time will tell if they are proven right.

58 minutes ago, binosh said:

You know this how? 

The rest just screams snowflake. These are professionals - they know what they're getting into.  I've certainly not agreed with some of the decisions Leeds have made but it is absolutely their right to make them. 

The RFL do look out for player welfare, but apart from the Watkins claim, the rest are just straight forward club decisions. Nothing to see here. 

Tommygilf,

That is just the opinions of the club which they are perfectly entitled to do. The question is have they told them to leave or they will not get paid, have they been told if they do not go their contract money will be reduced? Have the club threatened to go into Administration if they do not concede and move on. I doubt that very much.

1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

Tommygilf,

That is just the opinions of the club which they are perfectly entitled to do. The question is have they told them to leave or they will not get paid, have they been told if they do not go their contract money will be reduced? Have the club threatened to go into Administration if they do not concede and move on. I doubt that very much.

I'm pretty sure that clubs can't just not pay legally binding contracts, there are lawyers about for those who feel they have been short changed. The club has told players they were no longer required (we have one at the Bulls) and wouldn't be offered a new contract, but that goes on all the time, and is just normal business surely?

I've long considered Leeds to be one of the best run clubs in rugby, if you say nothing else they have all their financial chairs at home.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

2 hours ago, binosh said:

That’s professional sport unfortunately

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Leeds have fulfilled the contract of all those employees. They all knew what they were agreeing to and both parties abided by that agreement

To be given a 3 year contract at the biggest club in SL means you are willing to take the disruption caused to the family, kids schools, grandparents, family, friends etc etc because you have time to settle into the new life. To be told all that means nothing after a few months and you will be moved on despite financially being able to pay is disgusting at best

11 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

To be given a 3 year contract at the biggest club in SL means you are willing to take the disruption caused to the family, kids schools, grandparents, family, friends etc etc because you have time to settle into the new life. To be told all that means nothing after a few months and you will be moved on despite financially being able to pay is disgusting at best

You don’t run a business do you, Sweaty? At least I hope you don’t. You make it sound like these players are doing the club a favour! They’re really not and if you ever get chance to spend time with the pro players they very much know it’s all part and parcel of the career they chose. 

mmm a number of players at Leeds are obviously not getting first team selection. Yet Leeds are still abiding by their contract.  If another club comes in and offers them a contract, I would suggest the player would be off.

mmm do you say nowt and then at end of contract say good bye... or do you say to them they are not first choice, not being selected and we will let you go if you find another club, in the meantime we continue paying. Especially as its the time of year when clubs are bringing in new signing looking ahead to next season.  Would be bad practice if they didn't tell said players.

2 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Tommygilf,

Of course the club are entitled to treat contracted players however they like. 

The ability to do it doesn't mean they have to come across as prats about it though.

Tommy, 

I think you are mis reading my post. I do not think clubs are entitled to treat contracted players as they like.Quite the opposite really, yes they are entitled to say we do not need you now but we will honour your contract until you find yourself another club and still treat you with respect. But,as you no doubt know respect should work both ways.How many players have deliberately reneged on their contract because another club has offered them more money.The Beaumont affair is nothing like the comings and goings at Leeds at this time. And I am not a Leeds supporter by the way.

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I'd add we've treated some players terribly.

Just off the top of my head to add to this list.

Keinhorst - let go for no apparent reason never given credit by the higher ups. People's champion!

Golding - what has he done to upset someone at the club, gone from England academy captain and FB to being binned off at Fev.

Sutcliffe - I don't rate him that much but he's been passed from pillar to post and had his talent squandered by making him a utility. Taken advantage of by the club.

Flipside is some players seem to be able to do no wrong! It was obvious McDermott had his favourites but its a real shame this seems to have continued into the new era (although it was less so under Furner I felt). Must be so frustrating for the players it is for us fans.

Keinhorst and Goulding, we let one leave and choose not to select another, in no way is that treating a player terribly, it happens at every club, theyr both bang average and we'v got better players in there positions. Suttcliffe plays more games than his talent deserves.

6 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Nobody isn't being paid though.... Someone like Furner will get a pretty handsome settlement. Players being moved on loan will be paid at their Leeds salary levels. Players leaving the club will get new contracts at new clubs which presumably are acceptable to them. And in some cases Leeds might end up paying part of their salaries just to get most of it off the books.

The skill with which some of this juggling is being done suggests to me that Hetherington is back taking more direct control of this area.

FWIW I do have concerns about the way Sinfield has handled some of this stuff. Pushing Golding out by refusing to countenance his selection even when we needed a full back was poor as was the handling of Jordan Lilley.

Yes these players probably don't/didn't have futures at the club but avoiding the hard conversations just strikes me as weak. 

13 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

Is this at all related to the financial meltdown of the Leeds /Yorks Carnegie Union team

Nah.

However, I have this vague idea it may be in some way connected to the "Leigh's unethical treatment of players" thread.

Just saying like.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Archived