Leeds Disgusting treatment of players & coaches.

10 hours ago, M j M said:

FWIW I do have concerns about the way Sinfield has handled some of this stuff. Pushing Golding out by refusing to countenance his selection even when we needed a full back was poor as was the handling of Jordan Lilley.

Yes these players probably don't/didn't have futures at the club but avoiding the hard conversations just strikes me as weak. 

Thats my concern. Of course we have to have the attitude that nobody is bigger than the club, and we have the history to be like that. Thats why we could deal with Hardaker as we did. However as you say between the Golding, Lilley, and I'd add Walker to that list too, we've been problematic. 

The reason we could have the "no-one is bigger than the club" attitude is because we built up the loyalty amongst the players - right now I don't think we're doing that very well.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats my concern. Of course we have to have the attitude that nobody is bigger than the club, and we have the history to be like that. Thats why we could deal with Hardaker as we did. However as you say between the Golding, Lilley, and I'd add Walker to that list too, we've been problematic. 

The reason we could have the "no-one is bigger than the club" attitude is because we built up the loyalty amongst the players - right now I don't think we're doing that very well.

These are good points. When Leeds were winning trophies they managed to keep the core of their team and only the odd non key player like Lee Smith and Chev Walker left. Players were loyal to their club and resisted better offers elsewhere so that the club stayed under the salary cap and stayed successful. Once you lose that though its incredibly difficult to get back.

Contrast that with the revolving door and policy of Lenegan's at Wigan that everyone is replaceable. No loyalty from the club is replicated by no loyalty from the players. Many players now see it purely as a stepping stone to a bigger payday elsewhere. The production line papered over the cracks in this policy but as these season has shown it was never going to be possible to paper over the cracks indefinitely.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

These are good points. When Leeds were winning trophies they managed to keep the core of their team and only the odd non key player like Lee Smith and Chev Walker left. Players were loyal to their club and resisted better offers elsewhere so that the club stayed under the salary cap and stayed successful. Once you lose that though its incredibly difficult to get back.

Contrast that with the revolving door and policy of Lenegan's at Wigan that everyone is replaceable. No loyalty from the club is replicated by no loyalty from the players. Many players now see it purely as a stepping stone to a bigger payday elsewhere. The production line papered over the cracks in this policy but as these season has shown it was never going to be possible to paper over the cracks indefinitely.

Absolutely.

I'd also add that in a case like Golding I see him as being in the mold of JJB. Not hugely talented but has the love for the club that he'd almost play for free. In a rugby club I think that is invaluable. Even Sutcliffe I see as like that.

Losing those players are what could screw the club. 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So Watkins has just gone? That hardly seems like a great exit on good terms.

The whole affair doesn't seem right.  Aus media saying the GC Coach didn't want him and was over ruled by the Board.  What's KW going to walk into there?

24 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

More of an administration cockup than any bad blood.

Still a bit of a rubbish oversight for such a big club

These people are running the club, yet they cant work out there's a time difference between here and Australia. Just another thing to add to the mess!

32 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

More of an administration cockup than any bad blood.

Still a bit of a rubbish oversight for such a big club

It aint a good way to treat your club captain and loyal servant. The fact that he has just gone rather than at least hanging around to say goodbye is telling imho too.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

How is it an administrative cockup?

Leeds thought he could play on Sunday as his contract starts with Gold Coast at midnight on 1st July. Given the time difference, they clearly didn't realise that that is before Leeds v Catalans kicks off at 3pm on Sunday.

You couldn't make these things up!

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

It aint a good way to treat your club captain and loyal servant. The fact that he has just gone rather than at least hanging around to say goodbye is telling imho too.

well it is his testimonial year or was the last event being the other week... the club directors really supported his testimonial, made every effort to raise funds from business & sponsors etc... Getting a lot more monies than would have been otherwise...

His mental issues, which Watkins has discussed I assume was part of his long term injury, through which the club supported him - his testimonial year co-coinciding.  Although it may be other issues...

He clearly needed a change, maybe the club bent backwards to help to find him a offer sooner than they probably would have liked. 

What do you mean by hanging around to say good-bye?   -  At his last testimonial event (dinner and dance) he said good-bye to those supporting his testimonial year and I have no doubt he will also do so to wider fan support at his last game for the club.

7 minutes ago, redjonn said:

What do you mean by hanging around to say good-bye?   -  At his last testimonial event (dinner and dance) he said good-bye to those supporting his testimonial year and I have no doubt he will also do so to wider fan support at his last game for the club.

He isn't playing on Sunday, he has already gone to Australia from what has been suggested. That's what the reference to not getting a goodbye is for. Its a real shame because I think the majority of Leeds fans would have liked to have been able to give him a good send off, it just feels like a bit of a shambolic end to what has been a great Leeds career.

2 minutes ago, Southstander13 said:

He isn't playing on Sunday, he has already gone to Australia from what has been suggested. That's what the reference to not getting a goodbye is for. Its a real shame because I think the majority of Leeds fans would have liked to have been able to give him a good send off, it just feels like a bit of a shambolic end to what has been a great Leeds career.

I stand corrected.. didn't realise he had already gone...  that does surprise me...

7 minutes ago, Southstander13 said:

Just on this - I wonder when he actually left because his wife and kids have been on the GC for almost a week. His wife is normally all over social media (and would've expected even more so now being in Oz) but not peep. If they've known this long he couldn't play seems even more odd to only announce today? 

Centre Kallum Watkins has been denied a Leeds Rhinos send-off by National Rugby League administration rules, which mean he must join up with Gold Coast Titans before Sunday's registration deadline.

From BBC sport website

15 hours ago, M j M said:

The skill with which some of this juggling is being done suggests to me that Hetherington is back taking more direct control of this area.

Would that be the same Hetherington who is chief exec of Yorkshire Carnegie ? who recently proposed going into a compulsory CVA ? A CVA designed in part to get out of honouring player contracts? A very skilful man...

5 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Centre Kallum Watkins has been denied a Leeds Rhinos send-off by National Rugby League administration rules, which mean he must join up with Gold Coast Titans before Sunday's registration deadline.

From BBC sport website

so nobody knew about this "nrl deadline" until last week?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Its not really a deadline, and that makes it sound like its the NRLs fault.

His NRL contract starts at midnight on 1st July (Aus time) so he is no longer contracted to Leeds with effect from Kick off of the Leeds v Catalans game on sunday given the time difference.

Seems fairly cut and dry really, and something that should have been known since he signed three weeks ago.

53 minutes ago, redjonn said:

well it is his testimonial year or was the last event being the other week... the club directors really supported his testimonial, made every effort to raise funds from business & sponsors etc... Getting a lot more monies than would have been otherwise...

His mental issues, which Watkins has discussed I assume was part of his long term injury, through which the club supported him - his testimonial year co-coinciding.  Although it may be other issues...

He clearly needed a change, maybe the club bent backwards to help to find him a offer sooner than they probably would have liked. 

He was due to play on Sunday and get a farewell at Headingley. Because of incompetence he has been robbed of that. The fact he has just jumped on a plane rather than hang around and say goodbye at the match suggests he has just walked away and onto new things.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

He was due to play on Sunday and get a farewell at Headingley. Because of incompetence he has been robbed of that. The fact he has just jumped on a plane rather than hang around and say goodbye at the match suggests he has just walked away and onto new things.

before long a lot of leeds fans will be walking away on to new things as well the way its going

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

22 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

To be given a 3 year contract at the biggest club in SL means you are willing to take the disruption caused to the family, kids schools, grandparents, family, friends etc etc because you have time to settle into the new life. To be told all that means nothing after a few months and you will be moved on despite financially being able to pay is disgusting at best

After been forced to leave the army due to medical reasons, everything I had planned, my aspirations and direction both professionally and personally came to a crashing halt, not to mention the actual thing that caused me to be discharged that I've had to live with/survive.. I was used and abused and got zero support, nada, before or after I left. This was also at a time when the IRA were still killing squaddies with no fecks given and not just in NI. I moved on, found a job just before I got the door slammed at my back and took the experiences with me, surely nothing could be as bad again.

Well about 10 years later as I was moving up the ladder in my profession I got yet another large dollop of excrement put on my doorstep by one of my employers. I'd left a decently cushy job close to where I now call home, and as a single parent it was doable so I could spend plenty of time with Denton jr. This job was a lot of travel, a lot of responsibility and needed me to be doing 70+ hours a week for quite a few months and that was just o site.

I busted my balls for them and was repaid with having my contract terminated one day before my 3 month probationary period, I was the site manager for one of their flagship sites that I'd opened from scratch and spend ridiculous amounts of time and effort getting it going and making it work, despite the lack of support from the company itself. it disrupted my family and social life massively, 

I took lots of positives away from the experience, it was my first sole management position, I'd used everything I'd learnt, not just during my trade education but stuff from the army, my management courses and the real world stuff as a 2IC at my other places. I knew that I could do everything and more and that no job held any fear for me.

These players should look at it iin a similar vein, They got paid, they learnt something (not just rugby)  they got other jobs, they got treated far less worse than even my pathetic examples, I know people who've had it much worse than me by a long, long way.

Life is not perfect, to think it is is delusional and fantasist thinking, people/companies, can and will poop on you from a great height, this may well repeat itself. Make plans, adapt them, move with the changes and cut the stuff that is negative away from you because if you don't it'll weigh like an anchor.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

So Watkins has just gone? That hardly seems like a great exit on good terms.

He needs to be in Australia before the new signing deadline. I’ve got to say I think the Super League and Championship transfer deadline should match the NRL and be this week too.

I expect Watkins will be on the pitch at Headingley on Boxing Day to say goodbye to the fans.

Archived