Where will we play?

jroyales

We have a great chance to either be champions or to go up through the play-offs. My question is, if we do go up where will we play? Again the rumourmongers are putting it about that Bower Fold won't have us back due to unpaid bills. BP apparently is out for the same reason.

That leaves us with????????????????????????/////

Heard the same as Mr Royales re.Bower Fold. Don't honestly know if there is any truth in it. 

I would say the same as Clifford, if we can go to BF then I guess that would be the venue of choice. Great ground for watching RL imho. Not in Oldham of course ?, but no other decent ground within striking distance really.

The thing that annoys me, is that the knives are out, if we don't get championship rugby and perform when the TV money goes in 2 years, I don't think that there will be a club called Oldham playing semi pro rugby 

The clubs voted for this, it was asking turkeys if they like Christmas 

I don't know whether there is any truth in the rumours concerning Bower Fold, but I do know (and it's no secret), that Stalybridge Celtic would snatch your hand off to enable an extra revenue stream. Money there is very tight on the back of falling attendances. There's plenty about it on their forum. Chris Hamilton and Rob Gorski do indeed seem to have enjoyed a terrific relationship in the past and I sincerely hope that nothing has transpired to spoil things and that they are indeed, just rumours. 

22 hours ago, clifford said:

The thing that annoys me, is that the knives are out, if we don't get championship rugby and perform when the TV money goes in 2 years, I don't think that there will be a club called Oldham playing semi pro rugby 

The clubs voted for this, it was asking turkeys if they like Christmas 

Spot on mate, whichever clubs voted for this(I'm told Oldham was one of them, don't know for sure though) I believe they've signed their own death warrant. Quite a few clubs will go as they can't survive without central funding. We'll have to wait and see.

23 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

Heard the same as Mr Royales re.Bower Fold. Don't honestly know if there is any truth in it. 

I would say the same as Clifford, if we can go to BF then I guess that would be the venue of choice. Great ground for watching RL imho. Not in Oldham of course ?, but no other decent ground within striking distance really.

Agreed,the question is- can the club afford to play there?.

It's down to the crowds, marketing and forward planning. 

All 3 are interlink and all 3 are bobbins 

Thursday evening now no poster made available by the marketing team. Why or why did they not keep it with our Mr Naylor 

Think the ground is more than suitable at the moment for the division Avro are in, if they get a further promotion then I believe the ground would need more development.

In fairness when we had the ground we did absolutely nothing, the ground and pitch is 100 times better than what we had. All we did was not pay rent and lost an opportunity to perhaps develop our own ground after the fanfare of being back in Oldham etc.

Avro deserve huge credit, they have shown more ambition with the ground and club than we ever did and continue to make improvements.

Oldham RLFC could have developed the ground a bit (via volunteers etc) and had the money from the bar/food etc, instead the club didn't pay the bills and yet again we became tenants because the rent wasn't paid ?. We will never have our own ground again in Oldham, Whitebank c.2010 was our chance and the chairman blew it.

9 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

Think the ground is more than suitable at the moment for the division Avro are in, if they get a further promotion then I believe the ground would need more development.

In fairness when we had the ground we did absolutely nothing, the ground and pitch is 100 times better than what we had. All we did was not pay rent and lost an opportunity to perhaps develop our own ground after the fanfare of being back in Oldham etc.

Avro deserve huge credit, they have shown more ambition with the ground and club than we ever did and continue to make improvements.

Oldham RLFC could have developed the ground a bit (via volunteers etc) and had the money from the bar/food etc, instead the club didn't pay the bills and yet again we became tenants because the rent wasn't paid ?. We will never have our own ground again in Oldham, Whitebank c.2010 was our chance and the chairman blew it.

Spot on/

I would just like to put the record straight, on behalf of those of us who were involved at the time Oldham RLFC took over the ground in 2010. The ground and club house were in a real mess prior to the takeover and there was a lot of time, hard work and goodwill put into making it fit for purpose by a number of volunteers, some of whom committed short term and others for a considerably longer time. Anyone who hadn't been around the ground, in the clubhouse or changing rooms prior to that work, would have had no idea what work was achieved. The ambition was there, but the problem was, there were no funds available for materials, hence no real obvious development and the grants that everyone assumed would be forthcoming, didn't materialise for various reasons. 

In clarifying the issue, I am not taking anything away from the Avro club. They have worked hard and there have been substantial improvements which I applaud them on, especially that done by their own volunteers. However the initial work was, I understand, funded by the transfer of their land on Broadway to Oldham Council and those funds were soon absorbed by the early improvements that were done with the pitch etc. The Avro club now, no doubt wishes that further funding was currently available to enable them to continue the upgrade, but as we all know, the money is just not there for clubs a the lower level of any sport and that is very sad.

Long live Oldham R.L.F.C. and AVRO F.C. - good luck to both clubs.

18 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

Plus if you recall,some of us sponsored a square metre of white bank pitch for £10. This money was to be "ring fenced for ground improvements. I wonder where this "ringfenced" money is?.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's sad reading from a Hornets fan. You will have no doubt have read of our issues with the football club. Things aren't great for both our clubs. Never mind though, when both clubs are a distant memory we'll still be able to watch Toronto play Ottawa on SKY.

We're all in the doo doo. The game is no longer bothered about the oldhams, rochdales of the game. They're more bothered about Toronto, toulouse etc. Rivalry isn't something we'll have at this rate in a few years as all the clubs will be gone. Sad state of affairs. 

19 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

They're more bothered about Toronto, toulouse etc.

They see Toronto and Toulouse as ways of saving the game by bringing in more money, not a way to get rid of Oldham and Rochdale.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

They see Toronto and Toulouse as ways of saving the game by bringing in more money, not a way to get rid of Oldham and Rochdale.  

Sorry mate, I have no faith whatsoever in the rfl. They couldn't run a bath. Changing rules mid-season etc. Shower of poo! 

15 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

They see Toronto and Toulouse as ways of saving the game by bringing in more money.

How though? Atmosphere at grounds will be poor as away attendances will drop and therefore revenue for clubs. Plus, as mentioned before, who will want to watch Toronto v Ottawa?

What if the owner of Toronto et al loses interest, is there someone else who will take the reigns?

The RFL are making a quick buck but when the gold rush finishes what will be left?

How about the RFL marketing the game more? Last year at the CC final we were asked on numerous occasions by locals (inc. a bar owner) what was going on at Wembley. Even the guy at ladbrokes (who sponsored the Cup) asked what was going on. Then they wonder why only 50k turned up to see a French team win it.

1 hour ago, Whitworth Yed said:

How though? Atmosphere at grounds will be poor as away attendances will drop and therefore revenue for clubs. Plus, as mentioned before, who will want to watch Toronto v Ottawa?

Yet some teams manage to get their biggest crowds against Toronto?  York for example.  

Sponsors and TV will pay more for Toronto, see the recent deals.  

Don't blame Toronto for where we are.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 27/06/2019 at 21:52, roughyed34 said:

The difference being Avro's had the money to do it because of the sale of their old ground and other funding. How could the rugby develop it with no cash? 

Club was offered concrete for nothing for terracing, CCTV was offered but Mr H failed to communicate with the person who offered it, Rugby Oldham offered help but were rejected. Mr Quinn bought into the club and there were signs of light at the end of the tunnel,for whatever reason that didn't last. We were supposed to have a free stand and seats from Salford to install...never happened although the stand in kit form was at the ground! A covered stand like Avro have now at the clubhouse end wouldn't exactly have broke the bank.

The clubhouse never had any draught beer, the whole clubhouse was shocking in terms of decor, the clubhouse should have retained its local links with the pool/snooker/darts teams but they were turfed out, massive opportunity lost to generate income for the club by running the place as a proper social club and function room,not just "open for the match" on a Sunday.

Never mind developing the ground,it would have helped had the club actually paid the rent and secured the ground and made improvements bit by bit, what happened to the buy a piece of the pitch scheme btw? Why didn't the club do a scheme like squad builder but have it as groundbuilder instead?

Of course we didn't have the money to do the pitch/fencing to the standard it is today, but the club (as a entity) did literally nothing to improve facilities. 

A small band of volunteers tried to improve what was there at the start to their credit,but they were sold down the river by the Chairman not paying the rent, their effort ultimately wasted.

It was never the best ground for us in the first place but it was ours ,after all the fanfare of Oldham back in Oldham etc back in 2010 after being nomads for so long I would have thought more effort would have been made to improve the ground during our "ownership"

Alas it didn't happen, some improvements (not just ground ones either) don't take huge financial input but they need a bit of ambition and forward thinking. People will help if they see the club trying to improve things, unfortunately most see the club (non playing side) as backwards thinking and insular. If that is unpalatable then so be it, truth is that's what most fans I speak to every week feel.

We take 1 step forward and 3 back as a club.

Mr H has kept the club going, that is unquestionable and I'm sure we are all grateful for that, on the commercial/marketing/income stream side of things the club is and has been for many years an unmitigated disaster. With a bit of foresight maybe income generated while we "owned" the ground would have provided a bit of finance for improvements down the line, as it happened no income,no improvements. That blame lies with the club.

Archived