2020 Squad - Discussion Thread (Merged)

RogerT

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, 9' oller said:

I don't think we can gauge linners on his cougar exploit. It seemed they didn't treat him well and solvency woes hit all paid employees. He knows what he is up against with a mount job.

Is it a one year try out or another 3 yr gamble. 

Welcome craig.

Those who dont remember him off the field he is the polar opposite to diskin.

Completely agree, Craig was a model professional and nice bloke, with the experience of Karl thrown in there should be a drastic improvement in terms of attitude and discipline in the squad.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

52 minutes ago, Tony F said:

How predictable. 

If the club had announced that Karl Harrison was the new head coach with linners as his assistant, would you have been happier? Because I can't see much difference, I'm sure linners isn't too pompous to take advice from someone with Karl's experience, it's not dissimilar to the Kear, Chester role at Wakefield. Anyway onwards n upwards after a very difficult season on and off the pitch. 

What number you giving 'em Rog!! Oh, and before anybody says I'll be expecting promotion.....no, but I do expect us to compete in a lot more games than we have, effort will do, I expect our defence to be markedly improved under these two.

I was initially against appointing Craig Lingard, but this could work for us if Rhino has anywhere near a significant impact with the players and training routines. Bearing in mind his contacts as a players' agent, his role could be effectively considered as Director of Rugby. There is much rebuilding of both personnel and morale required, so a 2 year contract would be sensible under the circumstances, for both parties. 

If money was no object linners head coach. Brev assistant. John Heaton reinstated as long as the diskin brush off didn't dampen his opinion of us.

Rhino and kear consultants but also oversee scouting/ trialists and the academy.

Now which local sugar daddies want to disappear a few pound notes for the good of his hometown!!! Binks, mikes carpets, mick ingram, al murrads.... not blessed with millionaires are we. I'll knock a few doors upper batley with cap in hand!

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Great appointment as coach & director of rugby.. I can’t see mauny or bretherton been assistants moxon will stay plus another one maybe coming in.. can see John Heaton maybe coming back 

the mount in 2020 will be a tough place to visit again and teams will find it tough to come 

2 hours ago, 9' oller said:

I'll knock a few doors upper batley with cap in hand!

You stay away from us, we've got nowt ?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

1 hour ago, coolie said:

Games changed from when Karl was in charge, its a step for Linners who has the club at heart for sure, we'll just have to see how he goes.. It can only go 2 ways up or down, 

Wishing the best of luck in the appointment ?

I think it possibly has, but the no risk football approach still pays dividends, even in the NRL. If you defend well, don't make mistakes and don't give many penalties away, you will still win more than you will lose. 

43 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I think it possibly has, but the no risk football approach still pays dividends, even in the NRL. If you defend well, don't make mistakes and don't give many penalties away, you will still win more than you will lose. 

Piece of cake then - top five.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Piggy's mate said:

You stay away from us, we've got nowt ?

Surely you dont need the bentley, daimler and capri. Imagine the warm glow you would feel to know you'd financed a classy scrum half with strict condition that fev fax or seagulls can't pinch from us!!

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

My worry is that yet another inexperienced, essentially novice coach has been appointed; only this time without any recruitment process. Why, exactly, do the powers-that-be feel that Lingard is the best man for the job? What have they based their decision upon? 

For mine, the Harrison 'appointment' is nothing more than a tawdry smokescreen to pacify the fans. 

Tony weve prised our team back from an arrogant wannabe who could probably bore a glass eye to sleep. 

Craig's professionalism, sincerity, heritage and passion already puts him way ahead of the former Leeds hooker.

I expect the "culture" to change and good players not become average.

Hell I'd of had Gary Thornton back after the barrow loss

7 hours ago, Chris_T said:

If the club had announced that Karl Harrison was the new head coach with linners as his assistant, would you have been happier? Because I can't see much difference, I'm sure linners isn't too pompous to take advice from someone with Karl's experience, it's not dissimilar to the Kear, Chester role at Wakefield. Anyway onwards n upwards after a very difficult season on and off the pitch. 

I would have preferred this yes. 

Craig was fantastic as a player and were it anyone but him, in the circumstances I would be disappointed. 

What worries me is that I am not sure coaching at Keighley in league one should be a precursor to a job at an established championship team. 

There were some pretty lacklustre performances as well at Keighley even allowing for the circumstances. 

Additionally I personally don't like appointing someone who was previously sacked at a lower division club. 

Was just talking about this last night re if Linners got the job and said i don't think he is ready for a Championship club yet, having seen him coaching at Bramley and Keithley but with Rhino coming in as coaching consultant to help him out  good mixture of experience and inexperience , i think they will do a grand job only time will tell.. but as fans we do need to give him a chance and time and not be on his back from day 1 ... onwards and upwards 

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

11 hours ago, Tony F said:

My worry is that yet another inexperienced, essentially novice coach has been appointed; only this time without any recruitment process. Why, exactly, do the powers-that-be feel that Lingard is the best man for the job? What have they based their decision upon? 

For mine, the Harrison 'appointment' is nothing more than a tawdry smokescreen to pacify the fans. 

He's not as inexperienced as Diskin !

Lingard kept Keighley afloat in adversity with nothing and then was dumped on from a great height  as I recall !  His time at Keighley will prove to be invaluable when it comes to trying to stay in the Championship next season !

Linners did a pretty remarkable job at Keighley. This year for example, with no resources and without a team just before the season kicked off, he managed to win 5 and drew 1 from his 8 games in charge at the beginning of the season. It is also worth noting after they sacked him, they only managed 3 wins from the remaining 12 games.  

14 hours ago, Tony F said:

No pleasing some folk !!

Archived