2020 Squad - Discussion Thread (Merged)

RogerT

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Boxing Day it will all be kicking off on here then?

It is where most of the Dewsbury loons congregate Graham! 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

5 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

he managed to win 5 and drew 1 from his 8 games in charge at the beginning of the season.

what was the explanation for his sacking ?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

41 minutes ago, RPH said:

I'm not sure what the official reason was, or indeed if there really ever was one.

I heard an interview with Mick O'Neill on Radio Leeds shortly after Lingard was let go. He said he wanted Larder back as coach to put the old team together that had been so successful during the Cougarmania days. The decision to let Lingard go, seemed to be one purely based upon nostalgia. Logic, common sense and decency didn't seem to figure much in his rationale.

5 hours ago, RPH said:

He wasn't actually sacked, just told that at the end of the season he wouldn't be offered another contract so chose to leave there and then.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

He wasn't actually sacked, just told that at the end of the season he wouldn't be offered another contract so chose to leave there and then.

Are you sure about that BSJ?

https://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/17656527.craig-lingard-shocked-by-keighley-cougars-sacking-after-good-start-to-betfred-league-one-season/

4 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Yes, when you read the article and weed out the journalese it says that they told him that they weren't offering him a new contract. In my understanding that is completely different to being "sacked". You will notice that the report initially says "termination of contract", which is a sacking, then quotes Lingard saying that they told him that he wasn't being offered a new contract, which isn't.

Pedantry (or should that be semantry?) I know, but it could be a long winter.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Rugby League says today we have 14 signed on, but Craig is speaking to everyone of them with option to change their minds....hope the few I have in mind stay!! Is that why we've had no further announcements? Bit late for them to move and bit late to be chasing new players, best of luck Craig n Karl.

One things for sure Craig and Karl may be a bigger pull for new talent. Always more attractive talking of "new visions and selling club plans" rather than we've had adversity and need to dig deeper!

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

If players signed on with the expectation that MD would be coach I think it only fair to offer them a way out if they feel the need. I'm sure Craig will want full commitment from all his players

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

44 minutes ago, phildog said:

Bit late for them to move and bit late to be chasing new players, best of luck Craig n Karl.

Come PD the season hasn't even finished yet!! Bags of time to move players round

Reckon even if they signed on for Diskin I hope, (if they're the best!!) they would be happy to stay for the new team, can't see anybody having an inbred opposition to Craig and Karl! Wonder if he's got round then call yet?

6 hours ago, RogerT said:

Which paper Bob please, I can't quite read it.

are you on a Laptop Roger ?.....ZOOM

top right hand corner...settings...zoom the page size

zoom.jpg

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

from the Keighley news 14th November 2018

Craig Lingard quits Keighley Cougars over wages row

KEIGHLEY Cougars head coach Craig Lingard has resigned in protest at his coaching staff and players not getting paid overdue wages.

Lingard, 41, who was appointed in September 2016 and has himself not been paid by Cougars for the last five-and-a-half months, tendered his resignation on Saturday.

And he said his players and staff are owed money going back to August.

He said: "The players still have not been paid.

"I tended my resignation on Saturday and said I could not continue as long as the players were owed money.

"It has been one thing after another, there is always an excuse why the money has not gone in. It came to a point when I couldn't take it anymore.

"There is nobody there to run the team now.

"I would only consider coming back if the players are paid. But even then I would now find it difficult to come back."

1 hour ago, RPH said:

from the Keighley news 14th November 2018

Craig Lingard quits Keighley Cougars over wages row

KEIGHLEY Cougars head coach Craig Lingard has resigned in protest at his coaching staff and players not getting paid overdue wages.

Lingard, 41, who was appointed in September 2016 and has himself not been paid by Cougars for the last five-and-a-half months, tendered his resignation on Saturday.

And he said his players and staff are owed money going back to August.

He said: "The players still have not been paid.

"I tended my resignation on Saturday and said I could not continue as long as the players were owed money.

"It has been one thing after another, there is always an excuse why the money has not gone in. It came to a point when I couldn't take it anymore.

"There is nobody there to run the team now.

"I would only consider coming back if the players are paid. But even then I would now find it difficult to come back."

Yes but he went back after that, just before this season kicked off. I think the radio Leeds interview with O'niell and Larder was the same weekend as the cup game between Halifax and Bradford. It might be available on catch up?

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

Yes but he went back after that, just before this season kicked off. I think the radio Leeds interview with O'niell and Larder was the same weekend as the cup game between Halifax and Bradford. It might be available on catch up?

22nd May

Craig Lingard shocked by Keighley Cougars sacking after good start to Betfred League One season

CRAIG Lingard has spoken of his shock at being sacked by Keighley Cougars despite a good start to the season.

Cougars have only lost twice in their opening eight Betfred League One games and have clawed back 11 of their -12-point pre-season punishment for a change in ownership.

But Lingard says he was called into a meeting with Cougars chairman Mick O'Neill before training on Tuesday and told his contract had been terminated.

O'Neill says it was one of the hardest decisions he has ever made to part company with Lingard, whose last game in charge was a 40-12 defeat Newcastle Thunder on Sunday.

Lingard previously resigned as Cougars head coach in November last year following the club's unpaid wages row under previous owners Austria Holdings, only to return the following month.

Though massively disappointed to lose his job, Lingard says Cougars will have a special place in his heart.

Lingard said: "I got to training and Mick said they were terminating my contract. I'm massively disappointed. It's a massive shock for me.

"If we had lost seven or eight games on the bounce I could have understood it a bit more. It's something that's a surprise and a shock.

"It's a bit surreal really.

"I can walk out of there knowing that I've done a pretty decent job and got the club through the tough times that they were in. The performances have been good.

"Mick has got his own ideas of what he wants to do, which he is quite entitled to do.

"I was told all the way through the season that we are planning for next season under me. I had had that message all the way through this season, but then my contract has been terminated.

"It happened at Cougar Park before training. Mick was there at the time. He said 'can we have a chat' and he said they were not offering me a new contract.

"I had only sat down with them looking to extend my contract the week before. We spoke about getting players for next year and preparing for next year.

"I didn't think it was a case of getting X amount of points.

"The players have been in touch. It took me about an hour to put it on the group messages. A lot of players thought I was taking the mickey. They could not believe it. The players were as shocked as I was. I have personal relationships with the players, there is a strong bond with each other.

Archived