2020 Squad - Discussion Thread (Merged)

RogerT

1 hour ago, phildog said:

Not overly sure what role young Hooley is earmarked for but welcome and let's see! We have in my opinion the best full back in the league, he won't be expecting to step aside, unless coach is thinking of putting him on the wing, which would be a waste. Lots of talk been going on about prospective signings, White was a late entry into the conversation, Hooley never in it, wonder what's happened to the Heaton, Walshaw, Igbidenion tranche? We also need a ram-raiding prop a la Rowey to lead the workers.

Maybe not the conversations you were having  . . . . . . . . .

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a real coup to pinch him from under Dewsbury's nose. Much as we appreciate Scott for his defence attributes  he doesn't give us enough attacking prowess!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

11 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

I think this is a real coup to pinch him from under Dewsbury's nose. Much as we appreciate Scott for his defence attributes  he doesn't give us enough attacking prowess!

Didn't Dewsbury send him back to Wakefield last season following a disappointing spell? 

4 minutes ago, Tony F said:

Didn't Dewsbury send him back to Wakefield last season following a disappointing spell? 

I'd never judge a player by Dewsbury's standards! We'll make him into a good un

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

11 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Might learn a few things from lingard tbh, I bet scotty won’t be far off with tries next year 

Scotty is as good as any backing up and has scored some crackers. Didn't have the best 2019 but who did? Watched a few You Tube games last few days and seen him score some good uns.

1 minute ago, phildog said:

Scotty is as good as any backing up and has scored some crackers. Didn't have the best 2019 but who did? Watched a few You Tube games last few days and seen him score some good uns.

Backing up isn't his issue, it is his inability to beat a man, pass or even time a pass that really hinders him PD. He was responsible for quite a few of last season's numerous interceptions. 

Passing is such an important part of being a good fullback these days, it is no surprise so many fullbacks either can, or have previously played as a halfback. As much as I really like Scotty defensively, his attack is nowhere near the same standard. Could you ever imagine Scotty filling in at half back?

SScotty is a favourite of mine obviously but wouldn't back him in the halves, he comes into the line well and can shift a bit, but don't think he'd have the burn off the standing start that a half back needs. I still disagree about his contrubution in joining the line in attack, maybe he doesn't have the legs of a Storey or Lingard but neither does he have their height that provided those legs but he does have a great eye for the gap and has a good sway and sidestep, as confirmed by the games I've gone back to over the last few days.

47 minutes ago, phildog said:

SScotty is a favourite of mine obviously but wouldn't back him in the halves, he comes into the line well and can shift a bit, but don't think he'd have the burn off the standing start that a half back needs. I still disagree about his contrubution in joining the line in attack, maybe he doesn't have the legs of a Storey or Lingard but neither does he have their height that provided those legs but he does have a great eye for the gap and has a good sway and sidestep, as confirmed by the games I've gone back to over the last few days.

Scotty would always be one of the first names on the team sheet for me too. His defensive capabilities, his character and attitude are both exactly what you need at a club like ours, certainly more than we need a superstar with a bad attitude upsetting the team spirit.

Just like the rest of the squad though, we need to use him more for his strengths, rather than for his limitations, a bit like how we used Manning as a battering ram up the middle, didn't get the best out of him.

On 28/09/2019 at 09:36, Piggy's mate said:

I'd never judge a player by Dewsbury's standards! We'll make him into a good un

Everett  ??  Just saying.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

On 27/09/2019 at 23:10, Piggy's mate said:

Good try PM but we weren't interested. Decent player but a lot of hard work for whoever is coaching him.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 28/09/2019 at 14:14, Bi11 said:

Am I mistaken in thinking that Scotty was a half back when he moved to Rugby League from Ruby Union?

They are slightly different games Bi11 I believe, although I don't watch the overcrowded one.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It was the comment that Scot can't pass a ball and the comparison with ex half backs that caught my attention.  When Scotty joins the line he certainly can't stride through in the way that Lingard could in his prime.  However, I think that he links well and adds cohesion to the side.  For me he almost plays like an extra half back. And whilst ex RU half backs have not always shone in their "normal" position they could generally pass a ball well enough. Not withstanding some interceptions last season I don't see a problem with his passing.  However, I'd be the first to concede that I'm not always the most astute spectator these days (how could I be when game times clash with my afternoon nap?).

48 minutes ago, phildog said:

Think he still has potential but hoth he and Tyler will have to start being more mobile around the field AND  busting some tackles if we're to play any decent stuff.

He is up at Mount training all ready , and is putting in the effort

IMG_0583.JPG

12 hours ago, RogerT said:

Nice to see Danny again I was beginning to think we had lost him as well.

We will never lose Danny Maun. 

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

Archived