2020 Squad - Discussion Thread (Merged)

RogerT

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This really is a bargain basement operation, isn't it? FFS. 

come on,its far from the finished article yet so we cant knock it before a balls been thrown in anger.

i know i knocked some a stuff we have done past couple a years ,but i do think 2020 will be a lot better. lets get behind the boys and see whats to come.

13 hours ago, il cattivo said:

think we all knew the players were not as bad as the results said.

you yourself have alluded to the fact that some of the players didnt like Diskin and the fact that non of the so called 'dewsbury bound' lads have left shows this....

this may be down to money or loyalty (although i suspect the former) but lets see how they perform under a coach who they like.

by the way which players were going to jump ship to 'Jowsbrey' if Diskin had stayed?

Spoke to 2 players,one wanted too much money but as gone elsewhere,tbh I’m not too bothered about that,the other chose to sign a new contract,like you say loyalty.

It's become very clear over the last ten years that an experienced coach; with an ability to get the very best out of limited resources, is an absolutely must for our club. Despite this, we've replaced one novice with someone who has little over one season of experience as a head coach; and at a lower level. What was our recruitment process? How did the board decide that our new coach is the 'best man for the job'?

We're now bringing in an assistant coach who has no previous experience in such a role, and appears to have been recruited as he is friends with the head coach.

None of the above fills me with any confidence whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Tony F said:

It's become very clear over the last ten years that an experienced coach; with an ability to get the very best out of limited resources, is an absolutely must for our club. Despite this, we've replaced one novice with someone who has little over one season of experience as a head coach; and at a lower level. What was our recruitment process? How did the board decide that our new coach is the 'best man for the job'?

We're now bringing in an assistant coach who has no previous experience in such a role, and appears to have been recruited as he is friends with the head coach.

There is a big difference to a novice coach and a coach who has got batley running through his vains. Most supporters got what they wished for and that was a new coach. I am quite happy for lingard to take the reins.  Who knows what we can do under him. Time will tell, and I really hope it works for the dogs on and off the pitch.

1 hour ago, Tony F said:

Have you forgotten about Karl Harrison's involvement with the coaching setup? 

5 hours ago, Tony F said:

How did the board decide that our new coach is the 'best man for the job'?

I'm led to believe that John Kear (our most successful coach in recent years)was asked about the appointment and said he thought linners was ready, the club then took a bit of pressure off linners by appointing our second most successful coach in recent years to support and advise him. Not sure what more they can do. 

How does an inexperienced coach become an experienced coach.... 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Calm down dears!! We've appointed a coach with little experience, yet with a great knowledge and grounding of the game and this club in particular. We've got rid of an assistant coach who probably had less experience. If we wanted an 'experienced' coach he'd have been coach, not the assistant. Young, new coaches all start somewhere and personally I can't think of a better place to start. Thought I was the club's moaner-in-chief......it seems I have been relegated!! Craig's a clever bloke, he and Rhino will have gone into this in detail, trust them. Experience or no, I'd like to bet that even if we finish in the bottom half again this coming season, we will have done so knowing that there has been noticeably better effort put in all round.

Feeling quite laid back really at the moment! As I said,  wherever we finish in 2020 it won't be down to lack of effort  this time, the coaching team has a lot to lose, Rhino won't be expecting to lose face by having re-alinged himself with us, and players will surely be expecting more of themselves, so, win, win eh?? I'll back us now to win at least 12 games....

17 hours ago, ernieone said:

Is that including easy games like a couple of friendlies against under 19s sides (unless yorkshire cup is 're run) first round of the cup and matches against Dewsbury. Which gives at least a 6 match start.?

If we play Huddersfield I think it would be the first team due to it been Jermaine testimonial game 

Still cannot get excited about the signings so far, including today,s latest signing. Last season the players struggled with even the basics of play ie passing and catching the ball so what will make the difference this year?

Yes I will still buy my season ticket but expecting fighting off relegation rather than competing for the top six. Can't think we will be challenging London, Leigh, Featherstone, Sheffield, Halifax and York may give Bradford, Swinton and Widnes a game. Hopefully save our best performances for Dewsbury and Whitehaven

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

1 hour ago, ernieone said:

Still cannot get excited about the signings so far, including today,s latest signing. Last season the players struggled with even the basics of play ie passing and catching the ball so what will make the difference this year?

Yes I will still buy my season ticket but expecting fighting off relegation rather than competing for the top six. Can't think we will be challenging London, Leigh, Featherstone, Sheffield, Halifax and York may give Bradford, Swinton and Widnes a game. Hopefully save our best performances for Dewsbury and Whitehaven

It's all about money this coming season, even more than previously Ernie, isn't it? You can pretty well predict the outcome in line with budgeted player expenditures. Money might not buy success but a lack of it certainly doesn't help and the HW clubs will certainly be in the lower 30% on that basis.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Exactly BSJ, and I'll live with Just staying up. We're never late in paying our players, we've not gone under, we cut our cloth accordingly.Thank the Lord for Kev and his common sense. All this "you've got to Speculate to Accumulate" is utter Guff. We're a good old fashioned community club, and we'll be here (Hopefully) after a lot of the others have come and gone.

We're the envy of a lot of clubs truth be known. 

17 hours ago, ernieone said:

Players have to be coached the basics and have to enjoy that... if rumours are right they didn’t 

just remember Harrison took half of the GT side from 2008/2009 and made them into to a top 3 winning trophy side but it wasn’t good enough for some.. JK same 2013-2016 best years of watching batley despite a blip 2 months from the grand final which included two defeats to Workington and Doncaster at home 

we’ve signed two players who know the division in Morton & Walshaw yes he’s been around the clubs but he’s played championship for a few years.. 

we might not make the top 5 but we will finish higher than 2019 and don’t forget Widnes,Bradford are not full time... 

Archived