2020 Squad - Discussion Thread (Merged)

RogerT

On 07/11/2019 at 16:06, Blind side johnny said:

That must be why they weren't invited into the Yorkshire Cup last year then, having one of their very own.

They weren't invited due to voting with the SL clubs on the new funding plans if the TV deal is less in 2022.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep GF I'm positive it's 3 less!! Seriously, with all the great signings going on around us, it's sad to think that before a ball is kicked we and the Rams are both already arguing as to who can finish higher than 11th!! 3 Hull KR lads told they could leave, have we approached them? Now 2 gone, 1 to Rams m, 1 to York, Keinhorst left, Salford move fell through, justxm askfor him for a year loan, but we just never seem to be seen to be bold, preferring to dig around in the mud.

30 minutes ago, phildog said:

Yep GF I'm positive it's 3 less!! Seriously, with all the great signings going on around us, it's sad to think that before a ball is kicked we and the Rams are both already arguing as to who can finish higher than 11th!! 3 Hull KR lads told they could leave, have we approached them? Now 2 gone, 1 to Rams m, 1 to York, Keinhorst left, Salford move fell through, justxm askfor him for a year loan, but we just never seem to be seen to be bold, preferring to dig around in the mud.

To be fair PD none of us knows who our respective clubs might have approached do we? I can't imagine them reporting that "We approached XXX but he said no".

By the way, I really fancy us for 9th this year.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

19 hours ago, phildog said:

....less 3 !!

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with this post? 

One is a trialist so was never guaranteed to be in the squad. 

The other two both have good job opportunities outside rugby. I think we're all realistic to know that most blokes in the Championship aren't on mega-money and that their primary career will take priority. It also isn't the clubs fault when this happens.

It's easy to criticise but you really do have no idea what is going on behind the scenes with regard to potential players coming in and who the club have been talking to.

The more BISSA get the better/more players we get as this goes only to player recruitment. With Xmas, Black Friday on the horizon, get on Easy funding.com and see if we can smash £3k 

Donations are also greatly recieved I understand ?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

4 hours ago, bulldogs17 said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with this post? 

One is a trialist so was never guaranteed to be in the squad. 

The other two both have good job opportunities outside rugby. I think we're all realistic to know that most blokes in the Championship aren't on mega-money and that their primary career will take priority. It also isn't the clubs fault when this happens.

It's easy to criticise but you really do have no idea what is going on behind the scenes with regard to potential players coming in and who the club have been talking to.

What's he trying to achieve? I think it's fairly obvious that he's expressing concern that two players (one of whom is our team workhorse) have left the club without a ball being passed in anger. Regardless of what they've left to do, it's a fact that they've gone; which leaves an already poor squad even looking even poorer. 

Lingard is quoted as saying in today's Press that "there's nothing close" in terms of strengthening in key areas. Still, we might as well pretend that everything is rosy in the garden.

On a positive note, at least it's reassuring to know that the door is still open for Bravo.......

29 minutes ago, Tony F said:

What's he trying to achieve? I think it's fairly obvious that he's expressing concern that two players (one of whom is our team workhorse) have left the club without a ball being passed in anger. Regardless of what they've left to do, it's a fact that they've gone; which leaves an already poor squad even looking even poorer. 

Lingard is quoted as saying in today's Press that "there's nothing close" in terms of strengthening in key areas. Still, we might as well pretend that everything is rosy in the garden.

On a positive note, at least it's reassuring to know that the door is still open for Bravo.......

How could the club know that this would happen when they signed them? Should we have turned them down because there was a chance this could happen? Just seems to me that certain people on this forum want to shoot the club down at every opportunity. 

1 hour ago, bulldogs17 said:

How could the club know that this would happen when they signed them? Should we have turned them down because there was a chance this could happen? Just seems to me that certain people on this forum want to shoot the club down at every opportunity. 

Please feel free to point out where I've said that the club shouldn't have signed them; and should have predicted what has happened. 

Just seems to me that certain people on the forum feel compelled to defend the club at every opportunity, even when there's no need to. 

What I have pointed out is that Downs and Dean leaving the club seriously weakens our squad; which was already looking particularly thin in terms of quality. 

In response BSJ, yes I'd be delighted to hear that we had approached somebody but they had said no, long as it was polite. I don't hold with this attitude, from both our clubs, that ' there's no point in approaching Joe Bloggs or Jack Chit cos they'll skint us'. I think both clubs need to have the ambition in them to go and ask. We're short of a hooker, Cameron King has left Fev, I'd be delighted to hear Kev say ' we'll I rang him and had a chat, but he had something else on the table'. I'd say fair play for trying. There's no ambition in forever being scared to ask and knowing before a ball has been thrown that your club is settling for a relegation fight. By the way, I'm generalizing here, not throwing bricks at Kev or Mark Sawyer, just saying it as I would about any Club in that position. Just ALWAYS be ambitious.

7 hours ago, phildog said:

In response BSJ, yes I'd be delighted to hear that we had approached somebody but they had said no, long as it was polite. I don't hold with this attitude, from both our clubs, that ' there's no point in approaching Joe Bloggs or Jack Chit cos they'll skint us'. I think both clubs need to have the ambition in them to go and ask. We're short of a hooker, Cameron King has left Fev, I'd be delighted to hear Kev say ' we'll I rang him and had a chat, but he had something else on the table'. I'd say fair play for trying. There's no ambition in forever being scared to ask and knowing before a ball has been thrown that your club is settling for a relegation fight. By the way, I'm generalizing here, not throwing bricks at Kev or Mark Sawyer, just saying it as I would about any Club in that position. Just ALWAYS be ambitious.

Cameron King will be playing NRL he’s agent wouldn’t listen to a offer from batley 

I’d be more excited with if we spoke with a Shaun Lunt etc

yes maybe we do need to be more ambitious off the field 

Is this ambition or fake news?

Batley eye ambitious Sammut move

Batley Bulldogs coach Craig Lingard, having lost half-back Reece Dean to the oil rigs, is busy looking for a replacement half-back or two, report League Weekly.

He would like Wigan Warriors playmaker Jarrod Sammut on board but has yet to agree terms with the Malta international, according to League Weekly.

13 hours ago, distantdog said:

I would like Sammut at Batley next season, but have not agreed terms with him yet! Not meaning to be negative at all, but that report could mean absolutely anything.

LE struggles to fill space at this time of year - read the Chris Chester article for a good example.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

42 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Shame it’s nosey Parker’s article then 

Wrong publication I think, unless Aaron Bower is a pseudonym.

Archived