On to Dewsbury.

spanishknight

Sorry to sound like yer Grandad but (cue Hovis music)....in 1999 I saw heavily fancied Cas lose the Challenge Cup semi final against London to a last minute try. The following game Cas played at home to Halifax and everything about the game was as flat as a fart, really poor display, behind I think for most of the game then in the last minute big Dean Sampson clattered a Fax player and Cas picked up the ball, scored and somehow won. I look back on that as one of the most important victories that season as they went within 80mins of the grand final.

Today reminded me of that. I said earlier in the week today was one of the biggest matches of the season. It wasn't pretty and not one for the season highlights but a crucial win. Dewsbury have won at Widnes and Fev (while being dreadful in other matches) so can spring a shock therefore I will take that win all day long. I'd have to see the sending off again to comment. Liam Harris has really matured as a player but I was flabbergasted when at 20-20 with time ticking down he booted it into touch?! 

Matty Marsh is a class act and there's more to come from him too.

I have a feeling today could be a really significant win come the end of the season.

Some huge matches next round - Halifax go to Toronto, Bradford to Toulouse, and Leigh go to Featherstone. Not forgetting York's match at Sheffield on Friday. This time a week today there could be a little daylight between the teams. Up the kneets!

4 minutes ago, White Knight said:

Just like to say I think Marcus Stock had probably his best game in a Knights shirt today. 

Stocky has settled in really well and is getting better and better. Especially considering where we got him from I thought he would be struggling at this level but definitely not and has plenty of years on his side too. 

Well I certainly felt I got my money's worth yesterday.  A strangely out-of-sorts Knights for the first 20 minutes seemed to get spurred into action when the Dewsbury 19 started dishing out his cheap shots, so his tactics definitely backfired. As fo the refs and linesmen - uttetly inept.  If a trip is (quite rightly) worth 10 minutes then a punch is definitely a yellor or even a red. And if Ronan's tackle was a red then they'd be playing 6 a side by then end of a typical NRL game.  Credit to Fordy in that whoever he brings in usually does a great job (Cam Smith looks a great prospect - what is he, 19?), but the fact we now have players running out with a "41" on their backs shows what a ridiculous state RL is in.  My first York team was the Dave Dunkerly, Kevin Harkin era.  Back then you'd get pretty much the same starting 13 every week. I know the players now are bigger and stronger and injuries more prevelant, but having 40 different players turning out for a club with still about a third of the season to go is crazy.  Soon clubs will have no players of their own and it will a case of who you can beg, steal or borrow that week to fill a shirt for "your team" in order to get 17 players on the pitch. Rant over. Up the Kneets. 

3 hours ago, Fax Knight said:

Soon clubs will have no players of their own and it will a case of who you can beg, steal or borrow that week to fill a shirt for "your team" in order to get 17 players on the pitch.

Its already happening, DR and loans having priority over their own squad...but its in the rules...

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

4 hours ago, Fax Knight said:

Well I certainly felt I got my money's worth yesterday.  A strangely out-of-sorts Knights for the first 20 minutes seemed to get spurred into action when the Dewsbury 19 started dishing out his cheap shots, so his tactics definitely backfired. As fo the refs and linesmen - uttetly inept.  If a trip is (quite rightly) worth 10 minutes then a punch is definitely a yellor or even a red. And if Ronan's tackle was a red then they'd be playing 6 a side by then end of a typical NRL game.  Credit to Fordy in that whoever he brings in usually does a great job (Cam Smith looks a great prospect - what is he, 19?), but the fact we now have players running out with a "41" on their backs shows what a ridiculous state RL is in.  My first York team was the Dave Dunkerly, Kevin Harkin era.  Back then you'd get pretty much the same starting 13 every week. I know the players now are bigger and stronger and injuries more prevelant, but having 40 different players turning out for a club with still about a third of the season to go is crazy.  Soon clubs will have no players of their own and it will a case of who you can beg, steal or borrow that week to fill a shirt for "your team" in order to get 17 players on the pitch. Rant over. Up the Kneets. 

If we had our own reserve team and those players were included in the squad numbers, you could see a player with 50 on his back.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

But we don't have a reserve team and numbers 27 onwards are not "our players" apart from the odd permanent signing like Baldwinson which is why RL in 2019 is a farce.  It always (and probably always will be) a case of who has the most cash wins (with the odd exception like Salford and Koukash), but loaning and dual reg just doesn't do it for me.  I used to love the A team games on a Saturday afternoon. It was great seeing an unknown Geoff Pryce ripping it up or seeing countless  "A N Other's" having a go. If they did well, you signed them.  Much better than todays' pick and mix when players are all over the place. 

If you look at our numbers 1-17 with the xception of ash (injured) chilts(1game back from injury) and benny(retired) they are our team for vast majority of our matches. We actually have a very settled team this season. A core set with fringe players alternating. 

1 hour ago, Fax Knight said:

But we don't have a reserve team and numbers 27 onwards are not "our players" apart from the odd permanent signing like Baldwinson which is why RL in 2019 is a farce.  It always (and probably always will be) a case of who has the most cash wins (with the odd exception like Salford and Koukash), but loaning and dual reg just doesn't do it for me.  I used to love the A team games on a Saturday afternoon. It was great seeing an unknown Geoff Pryce ripping it up or seeing countless  "A N Other's" having a go. If they did well, you signed them.  Much better than todays' pick and mix when players are all over the place. 

Used to be able to leave your door unlocked as well. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

On holiday so missed my first Knights game of the season,but listened to Fordy after the game and he was so proud of the players that there some how won against all the odds.Was the crowd only 1400 which if correct is a absolute disgrace to the team who are in the top five and playing great rugby,wake up York public!

4 hours ago, paul said:

On holiday so missed my first Knights game of the season,but listened to Fordy after the game and he was so proud of the players that there some how won against all the odds.Was the crowd only 1400 which if correct is a absolute disgrace to the team who are in the top five and playing great rugby,wake up York public!

There are people on holiday Paul?, but I do agree with you. My wife and I were on holiday ourselves recently and missed both the Toulouse and Rochdale games. It's still annoying to see a crowd of less than 1,400 for such outstanding entertainment and a team doing so well.

Archived